2015/16 Football Season

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Victims of our own success ;) It's unfortunate that the big teams regard Saints as a fruitful place to poach good players from but it was ever thus, as Messrs Shearer, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain and many more will attest. We really need to get to the point where staying at St Mary's is seen as a better career move than going to places like Old Trafford, the Emirates, Etihad and so forth, but we're not there yet - and may never be. We probably need an even newer, bigger stadium and I'm afraid it's all about money nowadays. The Liebherr Family have given Saints stability and purpose, and I really hope that their commitment continues, and is suitably recognised. One of our biggest assets is our supporters who have stuck with the club through thick and thin, but we need another 20,000 people turning up each week (and the space to seat them, as above) to propel us into the stratosphere, in my opinion.

Of course, one way of making money is to sell reasonable but not brilliant players for too much money (take a bow, Callum Chambers :)) but you can't expect that to happen every day. Not sure why Clyne would want to go to Loserpool; he can stay at St Mary's and still play in the Europa League :D, but if United are seriously going after him, I fear we are lost.

Good luck this season; ironically it's often a bit of adversity that brings out the best in a club. Better will come....

Bit OT:
I follow Dundee Utd, local team, and they have been plundered big time by Celtic.... it was ever such... so feel for Saints... but they do seem to have done great business and hopefully will unearth a top striker...

Reactions: 8 people

amar1921

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You will have one more football fan posting here in the new season :D
I am not real fan of any English club, but i have few teams i like more than others, and of course few of them i don't like more than others. And until then in the first plan is local team, Zeljeznicar, which started season in Europa League and had easy job in the first round of qualys against Balzan from Malta, winning 2:0 and 1:0 in two matches. In the second round we play against Ferencvaros from Hungary, and we had great first match winning 1:0 in Budapest, although we were dominated in the whole match and it's clear that they are much stronger team. We play second match at Thursday and euphoria is defintely back in the town, as attendance of 20.000 is expected (our avrage in bosnian league last season was around 4.000). If we pass, we'll play Standard Liege in the next round and it'll be great result for the club, and also large financial help because we will get money from UEFA and from tickets. The only better thing that can happen for us is that Manchester City sell Edin Dzeko, because we will get 5 % of that transfer which could even be 1 million euros, and for comparison our budget for this season is 1,4 million euros.

Reactions: 7 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You will have one more football fan posting here in the new season :D
I am not real fan of any English club, but i have few teams i like more than others, and of course few of them i don't like more than others. And until then in the first plan is local team, Zeljeznicar, which started season in Europa League and had easy job in the first round of qualys against Balzan from Malta, winning 2:0 and 1:0 in two matches. In the second round we play against Ferencvaros from Hungary, and we had great first match winning 1:0 in Budapest, although we were dominated in the whole match and it's clear that they are much stronger team. We play second match at Thursday and euphoria is defintely back in the town, as attendance of 20.000 is expected (our avrage in bosnian league last season was around 4.000). If we pass, we'll play Standard Liege in the next round and it'll be great result for the club, and also large financial help because we will get money from UEFA and from tickets. The only better thing that can happen for us is that Manchester City sell Edin Dzeko, because we will get 5 % of that transfer which could even be 1 million euros, and for comparison our budget for this season is 1,4 million euros.
;
Hi @amar1921
It's brilliant that you have posted on here. If you keep posting we will be able to follow your team from Bosnia. Zeljeznicar is not well known over here.
Would love my local team could reach the European games. But alas, no chance, if ever.
I will definitely look out for your team on the highlights.

Even though my club is in fifth tier of league, we still get an average attendance of above 4000, though that's not the norm for our level.
Good luck Thursday
Hope you have success!
Where did you finish in your league?

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @amar1921 Thanks for posting. I now have a team I am interested in in the Europa league. Good luck with the second leg. :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK so this season I am going for Arsenal to win Premiership (lol well someone has to be optimistic) :woot: :)
Chelsea 2nd, Man Utd 3rd and Man City 4th. 5th Spurs (because they like Thursdays so much) ;)

Reactions: 6 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
OK so this season I am going for Arsenal to win Premiership (lol well someone has to be optimistic) :woot: :)
Chelsea 2nd, Man Utd 3rd and Man City 4th. 5th Spurs (because they like Thursdays so much) ;)
Like your positive and optimistic predictions @zand!

I still think that Chelsea will be the champions. But it should be closer than last year.
Probably the interesting and difficult one to predict will be who gets relegated.
It's usually the three promoted clubs. I just think it may be different this season!
Can't see Bournemouth surviving!
Any bets on premiership manager, first to be given sack?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm probably going with Chelsea as I think the managers of the rest are flawed in some vital way to win the champsionship again, I know City have done it but they really didn't make much progress last year and their defense seems.... and middle field....
United, who can tell but vdG really underwhelms me for tactics, alot the stuff last year was appalling and he had the players... too dependent on Carrick being healthy... and he is getting on.... and their defense needs serious thought and that does not look lie vdG bag.
So Chelsea, which is sad as they were my first team as a lad, supported them from when lost to Spurs in FA cup final in 60's, 67(?) Peter Bonetti was my hero....and I came to school in Scotland and player rugby... then Ken Bates came along... followed by the Russian money and it sort of lost it for me.. and ended up in Dundee... so followed DUFC... painful with some great highs...
sorry for the ramble.... and still love listening to football on the radio.

amar1921

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
;
Hi @amar1921
It's brilliant that you have posted on here. If you keep posting we will be able to follow your team from Bosnia. Zeljeznicar is not well known over here.
Would love my local team could reach the European games. But alas, no chance, if ever.
I will definitely look out for your team on the highlights.

Even though my club is in fifth tier of league, we still get an average attendance of above 4000, though that's not the norm for our level.
Good luck Thursday
Hope you have success!
Where did you finish in your league?

We are the most succesfull club in the Bosnia, but also we are facing many problems (mainly financical) in last two years. In Bosnia (since 1995) we won 6 times national league (last time 2012/2013) and we won national cup 5 times (last time 2011/2012) but club was the strongest in Yugoslavia (1945-1992) and we won Yugoslavian league in 1946 and 1972 and played UEFA Cup Semifinals in 1985 where we lost in the last minutes and we if we won, we would face Real Madrid in the finals. Last year we lost the championship in the last round against our biggest rivals FK Sarajevo which are in good position because their new chairman is Vincent Tan (Cardiff) and they have much more money and can buy really good players for our conditions, even the national team players. We always have good young players and that's our direction to make talented player to play for the first team, so we made many great players such as Edin Dzeko (Man.City), Ervin Zukanovic (Inter), Haris Medunjanin (La Coruna) and others who were main players for Bosnian national team at WC in Brasil (2014). After the war, the biggest europan success was in 2003, when we played play off for Champions league against Newcastle (with Alan Shearer, Sir Bobby Robson and others) but as excpected we lost 0:1 at home and 4:0 at St'James park. Then we played first round of UEFA Cup against Malaga, and after 0:0 at home we lost 1:0 in Spain. This year our team is again very young because there wasn't money for better signings and the target is to finish in the top 3 in league and reach Europa Leauge qualys for next year because that money means to club so much. We have loyal fans who folllow club wherever we play. but the main problem is staduim which is in really bad condition and we are looking for investors and new stadium will positively influence to attendance.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for that history of your club.
The difference in money generated by the top clubs is grossly unfair to the even the clubs in the same league.
How can champions of each European country compete with the Spanish, German, Italian and English top clubs! It's virtually impossible for smaller European country's champions to get into the league stages of the competition.

Most of the clubs do well to survive!

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are the most succesfull club in the Bosnia, but also we are facing many problems (mainly financical) in last two years. In Bosnia (since 1995) we won 6 times national league (last time 2012/2013) and we won national cup 5 times (last time 2011/2012) but club was the strongest in Yugoslavia (1945-1992) and we won Yugoslavian league in 1946 and 1972 and played UEFA Cup Semifinals in 1985 where we lost in the last minutes and we if we won, we would face Real Madrid in the finals. Last year we lost the championship in the last round against our biggest rivals FK Sarajevo which are in good position because their new chairman is Vincent Tan (Cardiff) and they have much more money and can buy really good players for our conditions, even the national team players. We always have good young players and that's our direction to make talented player to play for the first team, so we made many great players such as Edin Dzeko (Man.City), Ervin Zukanovic (Inter), Haris Medunjanin (La Coruna) and others who were main players for Bosnian national team at WC in Brasil (2014). After the war, the biggest europan success was in 2003, when we played play off for Champions league against Newcastle (with Alan Shearer, Sir Bobby Robson and others) but as excpected we lost 0:1 at home and 4:0 at St'James park. Then we played first round of UEFA Cup against Malaga, and after 0:0 at home we lost 1:0 in Spain. This year our team is again very young because there wasn't money for better signings and the target is to finish in the top 3 in league and reach Europa Leauge qualys for next year because that money means to club so much. We have loyal fans who folllow club wherever we play. but the main problem is staduim which is in really bad condition and we are looking for investors and new stadium will positively influence to attendance.
Thanks for this, and welcome. I hope you get the investment and support that your fans deserve. If it's any consolation the team that I support, Southampton FC or "The Saints" were relegated twice, from the Premiership to the Championship and then to Division 1, a few years back and became bankrupt. We fought back, and are now in the Premiership again and will be playing in the Europa League this season (though possibly not for very long :)).

Unfortunately, it's all about money: we were bought by the Leibherr family, who invested a lot of money into the club, but they have spent wisely and have been wonderful owners. The thing that really attracted them to the club was the loyalty of the fans and it sounds as though you have the same advantage.

Good luck for the season, and keep the faith :)

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit OT:
I follow Dundee Utd, local team, and they have been plundered big time by Celtic.... it was ever such... so feel for Saints... but they do seem to have done great business and hopefully will unearth a top striker...
It's a fact of life, really: there's no point moaning about it as I'm sure you agree.

Looking forward to this season. Individual players are important but what Saints have at the moment is good, supportive owners and an excellent Management Team. My nightmare is that Ronald Koemann gets enticed away by a bigger team or that the Leibherr Family decide to sell, but there's no point fearing for the worst when you can hope for the best :)

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.

Nah its between Chelsea and Man City lol

Reactions: 4 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
We lost 3-1 to Grimsby on Tuesday night :( still we have won 2 out of 3 friendlies with 3 still to come.

amar1921

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great game, great atmosphere and I am so happy. We looked today even better than in Budapest, and totally deserved this win. 4 matches, 4 wins, and goal difference 6-0. We earned 610k euros from UEFA, and also money from tickets (about 20.000 fans today) and we excpect more against Standard, and also season tickets selling have increased and in first sevend days (since started) we already have 1500 fans with membership tikckets (10 euros) and online option is still not active. Really good things are happening at the moment, Dzeko is close to leave City and this match was last for left back Kvesic who moved to Turkey (for about 150k euros) so financical situation looks really good. We are starting bosnian league on Sunday against Borac and it'll be hard match because players are tired and they are best home team in the whole league.
And few pictures from today...

http://sportsport.ba/assets/pictures/gallery/6281/zeljooo3.jpg
http://sportsport.ba/assets/pictures/gallery/6281/zeljooo16.jpg
http://sportsport.ba/assets/pictures/gallery/6280/_MG_4831.JPG
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=8b86126f7364050e24b70c77141c4e30&oe=5643AFA7
https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=c8432c25bb93e77fc50f13f79a5abe47&oe=561942AA

Reactions: 8 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great game, great atmosphere and I am so happy. We looked today even better than in Budapest, and totally deserved this win. 4 matches, 4 wins, and goal difference 6-0. We earned 610k euros from UEFA, and also money from tickets (about 20.000 fans today) and we excpect more against Standard, and also season tickets selling have increased and in first sevend days (since started) we already have 1500 fans with membership tikckets (10 euros) and online option is still not active. Really good things are happening at the moment, Dzeko is close to leave City and this match was last for left back Kvesic who moved to Turkey (for about 150k euros) so financical situation looks really good. We are starting bosnian league on Sunday against Borac and it'll be hard match because players are tired and they are best home team in the whole league.
And few pictures from today...

http://sportsport.ba/assets/pictures/gallery/6281/zeljooo3.jpg
http://sportsport.ba/assets/pictures/gallery/6281/zeljooo16.jpg
http://sportsport.ba/assets/pictures/gallery/6280/_MG_4831.JPG
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=8b86126f7364050e24b70c77141c4e30&oe=5643AFA7
https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=c8432c25bb93e77fc50f13f79a5abe47&oe=561942AA
Great photos, good report, thank you Hj