24hr insulin

Fiona30ni

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone have any idea when your 24hr lantus should be taken? Or recommend a good time to take it?My daughter takes hers at 6pm every evening but still waking with her bloods at 16.4 etc even after I have increased her lantus twice by 2 units. Now on 19 from 15 in 2 wks

Fiona

AMBrennan

In theory Lantus should last for 24h and have a constant rate of action which should make the time of the injection irrelevant, so 6pm is as good a time as any.

In general, finding the right dose is a matter of trial and error - you have to keep adjusting the doses until you get acceptable results. For morning highs I'd suggest to check BG at night however (lowest at 3am) to make sure your daughter doesn't have any nighttime hypos.

James12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use levemir long acting insulin, some recommend one dose every 24 hours but most people have to dose every 12 hours (twice a day)
You will have administered the correct amount of long acting insulin when you daughter wakes up with around the same blood sugar levels she went to sleep with.

The sooner you are able to normalise her blood sugar levels, the more beta cells you will be able to preserve, and less insulin will be required in total. However you are doing the right thing by making gradual adjustments, i would suggest that you increase long acting insulin dose by one or two units per day until her target is reached. The amount of long acting insulin (Basal) will change with changes in weight and physical activity. Gary Scheiner, in his book Think Like A Pancreas gives effective and easy to understand guidance about adjusting basal/bolus insulin.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was told it didn't matter when you took lantus as long as the injections are 24 hours apart, I did take mine before bed but now take my lantus between 6-7 pm.

As a suggestion I would have a chat with your daughters diabetes team about adjusting her insulin to stop the morning highs.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What are the bg levels when going to bed... When does she last eat and bolus?
If she has a snack at 10pm and the bolus ratio is wrong this will impact on her during the night...
Are there any 3am readings?
Would a basal injection be able to be given later or earlier if required?

karen 1075

I take my lantus at 8am everyday and my novarapid after eating. My doctor advised me to take it at a time that suits me and I would be able to remember each day. If I'm treating myself to a lie in at weekend I set my alarm to take it then go back to sleep.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

markieboy1989

Just to give you more idea. I take my 24hour Lantus at around 3PM daily. Although it is meant to last consistently for 24 hours, most will find that a 'spike' happens for the first few hours after taking it, and it starts to 'tail out' towards the end of the 24 hour period. I find 3PM to be a good time as it's in-between meal times, meaning that I remove the variable of having to administer fast acting insulin or food at the same time.

I became Type 1 when I was 4 (I'm now 23). My mum used to mess my levels up all the time, and while that wasn't good, at least as a child I had a large ability to 'heal' my body without doing too much damage.

If you want to stop night time highs, test her sugars maybe an hour before bedtime, that way you can adjust her levels (with fast acting insulin or food) without panicing about her going to sleep right away. It may even be an idea to wake her during the night and test, just until you get it right.

You'll get it right in the end, and you're doing the right thing by increasing the dosage slowly (you don't want to give your daughter night time hypos).

Remember that everyone is individual and what might work for one diabetic might not work for another.

Stick with it, and good luck. :)

carlos37

i am slightly confused have been on insulin for 2 months me personally take 12 u in morn and 12u at night however am finding that if i take it at around 9pm and 10pm can wake up with good readings if take it earlier they are also 13 to 16 dont know why as i got told by the dn it takes 2 hrs after injecting your background insulin to kick in so in theory you wouldnt think it wouldnt matter when you take it hope this helps somewhat