2nd Az shot experience?

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve had my first shot and my blood sugars have only settled down again in the past fortnight, I’ve been seeing individual reports of severe low BS following second jab which worries me!

I’m alone in the house Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm with my disabled daughter as her primary carer which is where the concern grows.

has anyone experienced drop in BS second jab?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the second jab 3 weeks ago.
The reaction to it were far less than the first jab.
Both resulted in lower blood sugars but, after the first one, I had expected this and reduced my basal.

Incidentally, my basal dose is still only 75% of its usual after 3 weeks.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Chloelox

I had my 2nd jab a few weeks ago and didn’t get lower numbers, so sailed through. My advice is to just remain vigilant but try not to feel anxious about it, test regularly and just keep a close eye on things.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had Lows I wouldn't categorize them as severe, however. My Basal requirements never completely settled after the first jab, but the second one has seemed to send me close to the normality of Pre-Jab 1. The lows were mostly caused by elevated Insulin doses now being inappropriate.

The only low I believe was actually caused by the jab itself (and others have reported this) is one within minutes of having jab. So make sure you have a hypo treatment/proper test kit ready to check yourself after the jab. In my case, it was almost instant, like walking out of the Vaccination Centre I could feel it happening.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had my 2nd shot last week, after about 3-4 hours I felt exhausted, so went to lie down for about an hour or so and after that no more side effects at all - well I had a tender arm, but it wasn't even that bad (not as bad as the normal flu jab tenderness)

daffadam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my 2nd dose (Astra) recently and I am having more hypos than I usually do, but the 2nd does is definitely more mild in terms of any other reactions. Just keep extra eye on your levels after your final jab and hopefully you'll be all good