3 DIFFERENT READINGS 3 DIFFERENT METERS 1 BLOOD SAMPLE

waterfall2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just don't get it. If BG went from 6.5 to 7.0 the drs would freak out! That is enough difference to go from pre-diabetes to diabetic. But it is ok to have a diff of +-2.0 on two immediate readings, two different blood drops on one meter. :banghead: I have a Contour Next One. My numbers were crazy but hey what did I know... I am newly diagnosed. Thanks to this forum I found out that you may have to test more than once if you think the numbers are crazy. So I started to test a couple of times.... 11.4/10.0, 14.4/12.1, 11.5/10.3, 11.6/11.1, 11.2/10.4, 11.7/10.4, 12.1/10.9 What's gonna happen when I get down to 4.5 and it really is 3.0. ! ooopps ;-) My strips cost $1 a piece at my pharmacy. :eek: Today found a place with cost of 86 cents each. :)

Reactions: Debandez

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just don't get it. If BG went from 6.5 to 7.0 the drs would freak out! That is enough difference to go from pre-diabetes to diabetic.
Why would they do that? Diabetes is not diagnosed using one random test. The HbA1c test gives an indication of your average BG over the last 3 months. All your above readings are about 11, that's all you need to know. If you get down to readings that are in the 5's you will probably not be on medication and so no danger of a hypo. Don't get hung up on the accuracy, it's a downward trend in your BG you're aiming for.

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
I use a Tee2 meter to "MONITOR" my blood sugar readings,. The key word here is "monitor". Irrespective of whether the readings I get are high, low or indifferent to the real value, the Tee2 still shows a trend so I know if I am generally on a downward trend or going upwards. My doctor will no doubt know what my real status is through the blood tests he sends me for every 6 months

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What's gonna happen when I get down to 4.5 and it really is 3.0. ! ooopps ;-)
What meds are you taking for your diabetes? If none or just Metformin, you almost certainly don't have to worry about hypos.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use a Tee2 meter to "MONITOR" my blood sugar readings,. The key word here is "monitor". Irrespective of whether the readings I get are high, low or indifferent to the real value, the Tee2 still shows a trend so I know if I am generally on a downward trend or going upwards. My doctor will no doubt know what my real status is through the blood tests he sends me for every 6 months
Sadly, all the tests including the A1c tests that your doctor arranges, are inaccurate. But as you wisely say, looking at the trends they suggest is very helpful, even though any one test can be off the wall. Many respected writers on diabetes consider the post prandial 1 and 2 hour tests as being even more valuable than the A1c. The A1c is an average, which is good in that what you ate the night before won't skew it. But an average can hide damaging spikes which you can detect yourself with your meter and work to eliminate.

waterfall2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What meds are you taking for your diabetes? If none or just Metformin, you almost certainly don't have to worry about hypos.
Wow I've missed a lot of posts. 2x500 met - no, I didn't worry about hypos as I was never in single digits. Also taking 30mg glic w morning met (as informed afterwards by gp but not given info at time of first prescription).
My question was at that time a "hypo"thetical. ;-) question as I'd read posts saying to be careful w this combo and not eating and hypos. But others do experience hypos (not sure their meds) and if you can't trust your readings that could pose a worry. That is what I was thinking