3 Month reviews

Johnroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many
Not the best news, HbA1c at 66 or 8.2, chol was 3.3, Trigs 0.9, HDL was 1.05 and Ldl was 1.8 have been trying to reduce carbs but obviously not doing to well as others. Any comment on relation to carbs and protein?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What was your last HbA1c and when were you diagnosed? Has it dropped at all?
Are you taking statins, and any other medication - and if so, how long have you been taking them?
Perhaps you could give us some idea of what you typically eat in a day, and maybe something will leap out at us.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Johnroy too much protein can increase bgs. They also convert into glucose very very slowly.
Do you like veg?
It's getting a happy balance of food that you like and enjoy.
I've been totally put off by veg consumption in the past by demanding diet sheets.
I'm starting to accept the neccessity of veg (low carb ones).
I try and avoid carbs so that any in gravy or in veg aren't a problem. I allow myself an occasion treat as life is not ment to be miserable.
All staple carbs give me huge spikes more than sugar.
Some people are finding reheated potato doesn't spike. Don't reheat rice as dangerous.
Fruit spikes me too, quite high too.
Do you eat potato, rice, pasta or bread?
They take me sky high.
No breakfast then housework spikes me too.

What spikes you?

Johnroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many
@Johnroy too much protein can increase bgs. They also convert into glucose very very slowly.
Do you like veg?
It's getting a happy balance of food that you like and enjoy.
I've been totally put off by veg consumption in the past by demanding diet sheets.
I'm starting to accept the neccessity of veg (low carb ones).
I try and avoid carbs so that any in gravy or in veg aren't a problem. I allow myself an occasion treat as life is not ment to be miserable.
All staple carbs give me huge spikes more than sugar.
Some people are finding reheated potato doesn't spike. Don't reheat rice as dangerous.
Fruit spikes me too, quite high too.
Do you eat potato, rice, pasta or bread?
They take me sky high.
No breakfast then housework spikes me too.

What spikes you?
Yes still been eating quite a few carbs, pasta and not sure about the portions I have probably to much. I am on statins.
In September 2015 my HbA1c was 8.7 in December went down bit but has gone up a little. I think the idea of more veg is a good one. Many thanks for the comments.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you already know what you are doing wrong. Pasta should be off the menu, at least until those levels come down, and then only occasionally in small portions. Same with rice, bread, potatoes, cereals and things with flour in.

Have you got a glucose meter? If not, I strongly urge you to get one. If you have one, then use it to test before eating and a couple of hours afterwards. This will show you what your food is doing to you, and maybe the motivation you need to find a suitable and sustainable diet for yourself.

I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation, but only you can put matters right. :) Good luck!

Oh, I nearly forgot. Statins are known to increase BS levels, which is why I asked if you are taking them.