3 month update

kamsamji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So....3.5 months in and I've lost just over 3 stone. And my HBA1C was 6.8 in Feb and is now 5.9. so I'm happy.

But, as I'd cut out carbs completely, I was hoping my ketones would be higher. The best I've had is 0.6, but latest was 0.2. literally, the only carbs would be those in broccoli, spinach etc. Else my diet has been chicken, spinach, feta, eggs, avacado etc.

Clearly, something is not working, so some pointers would be helpful. My only observations would be:

1. Milk in my tea/coffee. Nothing extravagant, just the regular splash.

2. I'm not able to do any excercise due to my gout attacks.

Any suggestions?

(Ps, on a cruise today. Any suggestions for drinks would be welcome. Gin and slimline tonic is ok, but a bit more variety please. )

Ta

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
What are you using to measure ketones

What does a full day of food look like

0.3 and upwards is considered to be in ketoses

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you claim that you have cut out carbs completely - that would be except for the carbs you are drinking and eating?
Don't worry - just teasing - you are obviously eating few enough carbs to be in ketosis, and it is fine - you are burning fat, so creating ketones in detectable amounts.
As for drinks - a dry wine or spirit with a fizzy mixer, or fizzy water, maybe with a slice of lemon or lime.
I have an occasional half pint of beer, but drink a pint of water with it. The really strong beers are too strong for me anyway, and so expensive, so not a bad idea all round.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done on reducing your A1c and the weight loss. I wouldn't worry about the ketosis to be honest.

A nice glass of red wine but not the sweet types to celebrate.

kamsamji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on reducing your A1c and the weight loss. I wouldn't worry about the ketosis to be honest.

A nice glass of red wine but not the sweet types to celebrate.
Thanks guys. I've been sampling G and slimline and the occasional Captain Morgan with diet coke. They ahve a few varieties of light beers, so had the odd Miller Light at 6g or carbs per bottle. Loving it so far.

Reactions: Guzzler

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
So....3.5 months in and I've lost just over 3 stone. And my HBA1C was 6.8 in Feb and is now 5.9. so I'm happy.

But, as I'd cut out carbs completely, I was hoping my ketones would be higher. The best I've had is 0.6, but latest was 0.2. literally, the only carbs would be those in broccoli, spinach etc. Else my diet has been chicken, spinach, feta, eggs, avacado etc.

Clearly, something is not working, so some pointers would be helpful. My only observations would be:

1. Milk in my tea/coffee. Nothing extravagant, just the regular splash.

2. I'm not able to do any excercise due to my gout attacks.

Any suggestions?

(Ps, on a cruise today. Any suggestions for drinks would be welcome. Gin and slimline tonic is ok, but a bit more variety please. )

Ta
Well done on your progress!

How often are you having gout attacks and what are you doing to try to reduce the frequency of them?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the only carbs would be those in broccoli, spinach etc. Else my diet has been chicken, spinach, feta, eggs, avacado etc.
Spinach, feta, eggs and avocado do contain carbs, though clearly not as many as bread, rice, pasta, cakes etc etc. Cheddar contains more fat and less carbs than feta. It is difficult to eat low carb and low fat at the same time.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Milk in my tea/coffee. Nothing extravagant, just the regular splash.
Using double cream would reduce the carbs, but of course increase the fat. I imagine you are keeping fat low for weight loss, but some people find they lose weight on a high fat diet as long as they keep the carbs really low. It might be worthwhile experimenting.

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Kamsamji - very well done. You’ve done similar to me but mine was over seven months and 7.1 down to 5.7 and lost 4 stone. Chlorestorel level really good now.
I find I can drink whisky with water and wine has no real effect.
We have proven it can be done - maybe the difficulty will be continuing with it. I now eat a lot of shell fish with a little sauce and salad and steaks and beef joints! Plenty of veg but I really miss my potatoes but .........

kamsamji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all your input guys and gals. I stuck to Captain Morgan and diet coke. Ate what I wanted without the carbs. Loved it.
Anyway, did an experiment this evening. Had a battered fish from chip shop. No chips. Measured BG after 1 hour =6.4 and after 2 hours = 6.0
That's good right?

kamsamji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your progress!

How often are you having gout attacks and what are you doing to try to reduce the frequency of them?
I find that I don't get the traditional gout attacks, but more like tennis elbow, and other joint pains, but not 'obvious' gout attacks. I'm on 400mg Allopurinol, but want to get investigated in case something else is causing the pains.

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for all your input guys and gals. I stuck to Captain Morgan and diet coke. Ate what I wanted without the carbs. Loved it.
Anyway, did an experiment this evening. Had a battered fish from chip shop. No chips. Measured BG after 1 hour =6.4 and after 2 hours = 6.0
That's good right?

Appears very good - I’ve not been brave enough to try that or maybe think I would go back into bad habits