3 months on from diagnosis. HbA1C

Kaity Thorpe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On January 12 I had an HbA1C test, that came back at 103. On 19 April, I had my three month review and HbA1C came back at 51. Feeling disappointed, as I've been following an extremely low carb diet. Could this be that some old red blood cells are still in circulation from Pre Jan 12th and throwing the average numbers higher. My cholesterol has also risen from 5.8 to 5.9 and having to fend off the doctor regarding statins again. Feeling down about the results as I have been so good and strict with myself since diagnosis. I'm on Metformin 500mg twice a day. Any input greatly appreciated ❤️

Reactions: Freema

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are kidding me! Down to 51? Give yourself a huge pat on the back and put the flags out!

Next time you will be lower. I have found mySugr invaluable in keeping track with things.

Please don't feel down, you really are doing well.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You have halved your A1c, that is a fantastic result! Do not be disappointed, you should be jumping for joy at a job well done.
As for the cholesterol, any sudden change in diet will skew this and weight loss will, too. You have done really well, go on treat yourself to something nice.

Reactions: Freema and xfieldok

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
On January 12 I had an HbA1C test, that came back at 103. On 19 April, I had my three month review and HbA1C came back at 51. Feeling disappointed, as I've been following an extremely low carb diet. Could this be that some old red blood cells are still in circulation from Pre Jan 12th and throwing the average numbers higher. My cholesterol has also risen from 5.8 to 5.9 and having to fend off the doctor regarding statins again. Feeling down about the results as I have been so good and strict with myself since diagnosis. I'm on Metformin 500mg twice a day. Any input greatly appreciated ❤️

When exactly did you start the low carb diet?

Beat yourself up if you want to but I think that halving your A1C in 'just' three months is a RESULT! - Well done!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kaity Thorpe please give yourself a large pat on the back - that's a great reduction in a short space of time. Next time you'll be even lower!

D

Deleted Account

There are few phrases that keep cropping up in responses to questions on this forum:
- "I'll tag daisy1" (not needed this time)
- "There's no such thing as a stupid question"
and
- "Managing diabetes is a marathon not a sprint"
Halving your hB1AC in three months is akin to a sub-3 hour time on your first ever marathon: it's amazing.

Well done. You should feel very proud and not at all disappointed.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just out of interest, what kinda number were expecting/hoping for?

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On January 12 I had an HbA1C test, that came back at 103. On 19 April, I had my three month review and HbA1C came back at 51. Feeling disappointed, as I've been following an extremely low carb diet. Could this be that some old red blood cells are still in circulation from Pre Jan 12th and throwing the average numbers higher. My cholesterol has also risen from 5.8 to 5.9 and having to fend off the doctor regarding statins again. Feeling down about the results as I have been so good and strict with myself since diagnosis. I'm on Metformin 500mg twice a day. Any input greatly appreciated
Kudos. Beat your chest

Reactions: Mick1959

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey, you should be dancing on the table and singing loudly with those results. You have halved your diagnosis HbA1c in just 3 months. That is incredible. Have a gold star. There is nothing for you to feel down about. Nothing at all.

As for cholesterol, the total cholesterol levels you quote are fairly meaningless because they include all the good cholesterol as well as the not so good. You need the breakdown of the lipids. (HDL/LDL/Triglycerides) and your doctor should look at all these before offering statins. If you ask for a print out these will show on there.

Reactions: Mick1959

Kaity Thorpe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for your positivity. I hadn't really known what to expect, but if I'm honest, I was kind of hoping to have them down at least under 48. My aim is to get it into remission and though I half expected it not to be where I wanted it yet, I was kind of hoping it would be. I've list over four stone and got my BP down from 200/125 over the last three months to 130/78, by a complete lifestyle change.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whatever you are doing, it's working. I think you should tell us what you NB eat and how you exercise because you will be inspirational to many people.

You should have a big grin on your face!

Kaity Thorpe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When exactly did you start the low carb diet?

Beat yourself up if you want to but I think that halving your A1C in 'just' three months is a RESULT! - Well done!
Hi x I started the low carb diet on 18th January the day my first HbA1C result are back and hadvmy review HbA1C on 19 April. So three months exactly x

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

This graph (click 'view attachment') from member @Rachox is one of my favourite insights into what switching to low carbs can do. It shows how very effective it is, but it's not instant. You're doing well:

View attachment 26041
Something else to consider is different batches of strips. I had a batch last summer that consistently read higher as shown on my average blood sugar graph, the yellow circle. (Ignore the blue circle that was my foot op and steroid shot.)

Sorry @Rachox for quoting you out of another thread :)

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This graph (click 'view attachment') from member @Rachox is one of my favourite insights into what switching to low carbs can do. It shows how very effective it is, but it's not instant. You're doing well:

Sorry @Rachox for quoting you out of another thread :)

That’s fine, if it inspires others :)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Absolutely b......y amazing result! Bet you will make remission in the next 3 months.