30+ regular highs

icylilies

Hello,
I'm a very stressed type one right now! My blood sugar levels are at an average of around the 20mmol mark, often reaching past a measurement that my monitor can read (so above 34mmol)
It's making me feel very ill, however my ketones are practically non-existent. so I don't really have much worry of going into DKA besides my levels have been like this for over three weeks. I haven't been to any lessons for around 2weeks and have missed a week of exams, so not only do I have to catch up with lessons I have now to catch up with 2hour exams.
I take all my insulin, test regularly and correct. I stopped injecting into my stomach as it has become lumpy. now I have lost quite a bit of weight and barely have any fat to put a 6mm needle without excruciating pain and bruises, sometimes bleeding. so my legs are my back are my only choices! But how can I keep injecting with chronic pain.
I'm really worried, I don't want complications with diabetes and I don't want to stay behind a year!
My nurses and doctors just tell me write a food diary which I have done repeatedly.
Currently on 20units of levemir night and morning and 110units of rapid a day.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi

I am not type 1 but I think that your health care professionals need to be doing a bit more for you. Consider getting in touch with them. A couple of thoughts: are you injecting appropriate amounts of insulin for your carb intake? Has a pump been considered for you?

Hope you get your levels under control.

Doug

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My hospital do not give pumps to people who have a history of high levels.... Or go in to dka... As they believe that pumps can make these patients worse. My hospital will only give pumps to people that have swings in their levels and despite trying everything cannot eliminate these swings.

High levels for a sustained period needs more insulin... Stress over exams etc can push levels up.

I think you have another posting here that is giving you good advice...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you do need more support from the GP/DN. The number of insulin units seems quite high but you say you are losing weight which doesn't quite add up? It may be worth asking for 4mm needles which are becoming more common; I use them. It should reduce injecting pain if you have little fat.