?

cris07

hi guys just had a random test today at the local pharmacy as i seem to have symptoms that are getting worse. I had cereal and toast around 11 and had a test at 2pm which is enough time to let the food digest. The reading came back as 5.8 which the woman said was quite high. Iv told the doctor about this but i had a three month test around 3 months back which was 5.1 so the doctor says they wont do any more testing. Was just wondering if this is like pre-diabetes as im getting a fairly high reading with hunger, urination and tiredness and dry mouth and what the best thing to do is. Is it a matter of keeping active and eating reasonably, or is some form of medication essential for some people? Jus wondering what anybody thought, cheers.

Tracey69

Hi
To me your reading is normal and that could be why your gp won't do anything. \\\\if you are having all the symptoms you mentioned then go back to your gp. Have you had a Thyroid test or any other test as far as that goes.
Hope all goes well/
Tracey

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep, both readings are completely normal.

cris07

thanx for the replies, ye had the thyroid tested n bloods the doctor says its anxiety and stress. just find it hard to imagine being hungary and weeing a lot can be caused by something that isnt physical! i guess my question was having these symptoms like urinating being hungary , would they usually occur with higher reading than the ones i mentioned? or can they occur even in the very early stages of diabetes? sorry to mither just want to try and get whats going on with me figured out! really appreciate any help

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I had cereal and toast - without producing a natural insulin response or injecting insulin - my reading would be up in the 20s even after 3 hours.

The urine test shows ketones and when seriously high indicate a condition called Diabetic Ketoacidosis which has symptons far worse than you are describing.

Your blood readings seem quite normal for a non-diabetic person.

hornplayer

Yep, they look good to me.

Speaking as a T2, cereal and toast would put me in the high teens at the very least. It would come down over the course of the day but not in the time scale you've given. It would also mess up my readings for the next day or so. Everyone is different, but I can see why your GP isn't concerned about it.

Good luck with your investigations. :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

cris07

can i just ask did any of you guys have any symptoms or was it just when you had a test you realised the problem?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Symptoms would typically include blurred vision, excessive urination, extreme thirst, lethargy and general feeling of being unwell. Hope you never experience any of the above ! Good luck !
Mo

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well... you asked...

For me, it was a sudden change from being active to having difficulty climbing upstairs without having to stop and rest half way. I felt like death was round the corner. I don't know how old you are but I was quite old and being diagnosed Type 1. There was no doubt and no misdiagnosis. Symptoms the same as Mo described but my vision suddenly became perfect! So I knew something was wrong but not what was ailing me.

cris07

im 28, im having similar symptoms as you guys said with sweating a lot and feeling of breathlessness a lot. did you feel hungary a lot? im starving all the time! especially when it comes to 3-4 o clock, just seems odd as i have had reading of like 7-8 2 hours after eating n my fasting is normally 5-5.3, dont no if me stressing about it is affecting my sugar levels!

hornplayer

Symptoms for me were blurred vision, wee-ing all the time, extremely thirsty, thrush, continuous headaches, very tired, irritable, - pretty much everything in the book. - I would also fall asleep regularly after eating, particularly "celebration" type meals. I hesitate to say "pass out", but the only way I could stay awake was with lots and LOTS of caffeine.
Also, for about 20 years, if I ate dessert, I would behave like I was drunk. - Giggling, falling over and banging into things. Sometimes my vision would blur to the point where i had to sit down until it passed. I would also get extremely thirsty if I ate carbohydrate (pizza, pasta etc) before a show. So much so that I couldn't physically drink enough water to get rid of the dry mouth while I was playing. - I'd down so much water I threw up and was still unbearably thirsty. - That's what we're talking about when we say extreme thirst.
I saw the doctor years ago about the symptoms but as my fasting tests were 7 and 6.8, I was told I was fine. I just learnt not to eat carbs before I played and to avoid sugary desserts.

cris07

ah kk, sorry bout that, i just wana catch it early if there is something wrong, like everyone knows when something isnt right with your body. just wish you new if you defo had it sort of thing then i could try n get it sorted, i dont eat lots of sugary things but i do like pasta pizza n that , hopefully they will find a cure for this in the future!

hornplayer

Fingers crossed Cris. :)

It is scary when you know something's up but not what it is. You're absolutely right to want to get a handle on it,- whatever it turns out to be, early.

Good luck!

cris07

can i just ask 1 more thing, when you said you were weeing a lot was it because you were drinking a lot of water? its just i seem to go a lot especially after about 8-9 at night and i dont drink lots and lots. sorry to ask just want to try and find out as much info as i can!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
The excessive urination is due to excessive drinking. Trying to rid the body of excess glucose by "watering down" in effect. There is no point in you guessing your diagnosis and trying to account for your symptoms. Get tested regularly and you should be ok. If it's gonna happen, it will.
Mo