6 months in

AAPhoto

I was first diagnosed with T2 6 months ago with my HBA1c at 103. I was put on Metformin 2000mg a day.

3 months later I had my HBA1c taken and it was 38. Reduce Metformin to 1500mg. Haven’t had it tested again due to Covid19 and they are not doing the tests.

Question: I’ve started cycling now that my Gym has had to close. I’m averaging about 10 miles a day at an average of 10 miles per hour. I feel this is having an impact on my BGL but I’m unsure as I don’t test and not sure I want to. What should I be eating to counteract the exercise reducing my BGL?

Reactions: ianpspurs

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exercise wont reduce your blood sugars beyond a safe limit.

If your not on a drug that increase insulin production or adds insulin your fine to exercise.

If anything high intensity exercise can raise your BG a little as as your body converts stors to gie you the energy you need to exercise properly.

If your not getting very dizzy doing exercise you dont need to change anything, if anything i find that when i train too hard i need to add carbs or with no energy or not able to train as hard.

Reactions: AAPhoto

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are on Metformin you might be finding that your liver is unable to release glucose fast enough to cope with your cycling - that is one of its functions. I suggest that you get hold of a meter by mail order and check - but there shouldn't be any need to eat to counter the effect of the tablets - maybe consult your GP about another reduction?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hard to say really just don’t feel right. Do get a bit dizzy at times but that’s not whilst exercising
I'd heavily suggest getting your own monitor even if only to test such times when you "don't feel right".
Could be high blood sugars or could be low (could even not be blood sugar at all) but without testing you'll never know.
What is your aversion to testing based on?
Most of us find it has helped enormously.

AAPhoto

I'd heavily suggest getting your own monitor even if only to test such times when you "don't feel right".
Could be high blood sugars or could be low (could even not be blood sugar at all) but without testing you'll never know.
What is your aversion to testing based on?
Most of us find it has helped enormously.

Thank you.

I tend to obsess over things and really don’t like needles of any sort.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.

I tend to obsess over things and really don’t like needles of any sort.

I would say obsessing about your health can be quite empowering (especially when you see numbers normalising) and you don't really see the head of the lancet in the finger pricker.

But you must of course decide for yourself.