FelineFan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't suffer fools gladly!
Hi All,

Went for a 6 week check up yesterday, (since starting on Metformin) and although with a better diet and the Met, my BG levels are comig down, :D , unfortunately my BP was still 150/90 (or maybe it was over 80 can't remember now!). So am being threatened with BP tablets :( I go back in 6 weeks time for another check-up!

The only thing I'm not doing is exercising. Couldn't take on too much at once - improving diet and getting used to Met! So am really hopig with a bit of true grit and determination, that I can get my BP down as well and thus not require tablets, at least not for the time being! I'm intending to go swimming after work tonight, and at the weekend (best times to go at my local pool)

Anyone esle had any success in lowering their BP relatively quickly? Any tips?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Here is a link to the UK Blood Pressure Association website. This is extremely informative and should help. There are many links on there with more information.

http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/BloodPressure ... rlifestyle

Personally, I failed miserably to get my BP down some years ago.......went onto tablets and since then BP is now around 110/65 most times. I wouldn't turn down the tabs....if that is what it takes. They are VERY effective and will reduce your Cardio risks quickly. The longer it is left at high levels, the worse could be the outcome later on. :(

Ken

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
I`ve been on three types of medication for high BP for 12 years, a gift from my Mother as was diabetes and high cholesterol ! Despite being on meds, my BP was, only four months ago 169/90 and this week it is 120/70 . I have another review coming up and if its still low , my meds are going to be slowly reduced . I put the lowing down to exercise and a low carb regime , I dont do formal exercise but I walk a lot , I`m almost 63 years young and walk at least 3 miles per day with my dogs who are delighted ! Good luck, oh yes, and also cut right down on salt, its deadly for high BP !

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Kate
we are of an age and our dogs like the same distance. I do 2 3/4 miles most days with my 2, but last night I went after 7 and only did about the 2. We took a short cut through an allotment garden and a young Mum with her little boy petted the dogs and gave me some lovely runner bean plants.
I walk a LOT more than the dog walk though. If I go into town, I have over half a mile to the bus stop and I walk at least 5 miles per week with Health walk groups. Some weeks it's more like 7 days of 2.75 miles with dogs plus 10 in Health Walks and a trip into town.
I am pretty fit now.
I did a HARD walk through the bluebell woods [about 4 miles] on steep hills yesterday and I puffed really hard on the uphills, but I get my breath back almost immediately the path flattens out. I even managed a short jog wih another walker. I find it difficult, because my stroke took away my "bounce"
My BP is usually about 130/70 when the nurse measures it. "better than hers" she tells me.That is assisted by medicine I admit.
PS what "make" are your dogs? I haveItalian Greyhounds. Aged 15; 10 and 6. They are 3 generations of the same family.I don't take the 15 year old out on a lead as she' totally blind.
PPS
did you read the dog walkers do 8 times aws much exercise as gym members?
Hana

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Hi Hana , I have a 10 year old Labrador and a 6 year old Jack Russell, I`ve always walked them as my husband is disabled and in a wheelchair but since DX with diabetes , I`ve walked further !! I did a 7 mile walk a few weeks ago, my son came with me as I was walking on Bodmin Moor and he was afraid I`d get lost or abducted by the beast !! So far, by cutting the carbs and walking loads, I`m avoiding meds for diabetes which I`m really happy about although I have become a bit paranoid about my regime, some think I am quite mad to stick at it rather than take the route of medication but as long as I can , I will !! I konw that puffed out feeling well , that when I feel every one of my years :roll: But on the whole , I`m fitter and healthier since being DX ! I have 14 grandchildren who keep me on my toes as well :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Feline,

Although I confess that I am no expert on such matters, but 150/90 or 150/80 isn't to far above normal bp, so it may be possible to reduce this by keeping to your diet plan and starting to exercise daily. I know from my own personal experience, my bp has reduced since changing my diet and losing 1 1/2 stone and increasing my exercise each day. I find walking the best form of exercise, so you could perhaps start by walking 2-3 miles each day.

I wouldn't worry to much if you do need to start medication, the drugs prescribed are pretty safe nowadays, and it is far better to take the meds and keep bp low, than run the risk of high bp and the dangers associated with this condition. All people with diabetes are advised to keep bp below normal, as having diabetes puts us all at a greater risk of strokes/heart disease, so do please bear this in mind.

Regards

Nigel

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
noblehead said:
Feline,

Although I confess that I am no expert on such matters, but 150/90 or 150/80 isn't to far above normal bp

Nigel !!! :shock: :shock:

Diabetes and high blood pressure

About 25% of people with Type 1 diabetes and 80% of people with Type 2 diabetes have high blood pressure.

Having diabetes raises your risk of heart disease, stroke, kidney disease and other health problems. Having high blood pressure also raises this risk. If you have diabetes and high blood pressure together, this raises your risk of health problems even more.

If you have diabetes, your doctor will want to be sure that your blood pressure is very well controlled. This means that they will probably want your blood pressure to be below 130 over 80.

People with diabetes and high blood pressure are sometimes given the blood pressure medicines known as ACE inhibitors or angiotensin receptor blockers, because they are thought to help protect the kidneys. However, other blood pressure medicines can also be used.

Source : http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/BloodPressure ... y/Diabetes

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Sue,

The lower figure, which Feline may have been given(150/80, isn't that far from the normal blood pressure range of 140/80, although I already know that as diabetics we need to be below this figure, hence why I made the following statement:

noblehead said:
All people with diabetes are advised to keep bp below normal, as having diabetes puts us all at a greater risk of strokes/heart disease, so do please bear this in mind.
Nigel

As someone who has had diabetic retinopathy over recent years, I am well aware that the ideal bp figure for diabetics, regardless of type is to aim for 130/70. I don't think I was wrong to say that the figure quoted wasn't to far above normal, and as the OP already knows this is above the norm having been told by their gp, I was merely suggesting that by trying the diet/exercise approach could be beneficial and worth a try before taking medications.

Hope this clarifies what I was trying to say in my original post.

Regards

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Normal blood pressure is having a blood pressure reading that is above 120 over 80(120/80), but below 140 over 90 (140/90). If your blood pressure is within this range, you should be taking steps to bring it down, or to stop it rising any further.

Sue's post was made because we needed to clarify to all members that the BP level quoted was not in fact close to the normal range. We wouldn't want the OP to think that was Ok, hope that clarifies things.

Ken

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Felinefan :)

I suggest that you keep moving as much as you can and get yourself a fitness regime sorted out asap! Everything just seems that 'little bit more so' with diabetes. :(

C

catherinecherub

Hi Felinefan,
Have had high BP since my late teens long before my diabetes, now 53 and have always had to take medication. Sometimes it does run in families as in my case. No amount of healthy lifestyle brings mine down.

Catherine.

diales51

Dislikes
Not having any chocolate to eat.....
Hi Felinefan,
Good luck i hope you have the result you need....
Take care,
Luv diales51.

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
Hi Felinefan

Don't despair going on tablets, I was put on 3 tablets to reduce bp but having lowered bg levels, which I think helps, and eating walnuts and almonds every day I have dropped to two tablets now and one of those has been halved, olive oil is helpful too. Just walking is helpful. I will find the motivation a problem now as we have just had to put our beloved little dog to sleep as she had cancer and won't be getting another dog because we are getting on in age now.