6yr old boy set change problems.

Derekwj37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello

I wonder if anyone can help.

Our son has had set change in his bum since he has had his pump, which we have had since pretty much he was diagnosed at 4yrs old.

We are well versed in managing the pump, and always been very careful with set changes.

We have an animas vibe pump.

We have used bum cheeks for 2 years, rotating sites. We change every three days, we clean and disinfect and tee tree on removal of old sets.

His bum is marked, he has had two small infections on either side, more and more he is getting pain when doing set change and now when putting insulin in through the pump, and we have had a few blood vessels that have been hit also when doing set change.

He is needle phobic, other locations have not been possible.

So much so, that up to a few months ago, all set changes have been at night when he is asleep.

We need to move to tummy, no way will he do it when awake, so trying when he is asleep tonight.

Any general advice on tummy use, he is fit and no tummy fat.

Thank you.

Derek

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Derek, what sets does your little chap use? @Derekwj37

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Derekwj37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We use the animas set, it's the plastic spring loaded, metal needle as a guide for the plastic cannula.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
We use the animas set, it's the plastic spring loaded, metal needle as a guide for the plastic cannula.
If those are the 90 degree insets then your son is probably not needle phobic at all just terrified of the anticipation from the loud noise it makes.
I refuse point blank to use them.

Not to sure if you realise this but the Animas pump has what is called a luer lock on the cartridge so any sets from other manufactures with the same fitting can be used.
These http://www.advancedtherapeuticsuk.com/product/cleo-90 are fab infusion sets and you push them in at your own speed, no noise involved either.
Magic (numbing cream) is also fab for children. Other option is to try an angled set if your lad is skinny as they were made for this purpose.

Derekwj37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If those are the 90 degree insets then your son is probably not needle phobic at all just terrified of the anticipation from the loud noise it makes.

Not to sure if you realise this but the Animas pump has what is called a luer lock on the cartridge so any sets from other manufactures with the same fitting can be used.
These http://www.advancedtherapeuticsuk.com/product/cleo-90 are fab infusion sets and you push them in at your own speed, no noise involved either.
Magic (numbing cream) is also fab for children. Other option is to try an angled set if your lad is skinny as they were made for this purpose.

Thank Your for your help.

Your suggestions are very helpful and we will look into them.

We managed to do the tummy at night, went ok. The animas sets are very aggressive when loaded and then releasing to insert.

Thanks Once again.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm an adult but not exactly fond of needles, and I prefer the manually inserted sets. I have a Vibe and use Comfort Detach metal needles or Comfort Short plastic cannulas.

I've found they tend not to advertise the manual sets as much (they're cheaper, I believe) but you can ask for them and can see them on the Animas website with a bit of searching.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank Your for your help.

Your suggestions are very helpful and we will look into them.

We managed to do the tummy at night, went ok. The animas sets are very aggressive when loaded and then releasing to insert.

Thanks Once again.

You are more than welcome. :) Pleased the tummy insertion went well. Yes I agree 100% the sets are very aggressive, which for small children is not good.

If you do trial a couple of the Cleo's, make sure you use an alcohol swap around the edge of the casing where the tape is stuck to as sometimes the tape wont detach as to well stuck to the casing. There is no noise from them at all when used and no sight what so ever of the needle. If at all unsure about the use talk to advanced T and also look on you tube for a demo. Then try one on yourself :)