8 hours of eating, 16 fast and levels afterwards

Endorium

I have type 2 diabetes and don't currently take any meds. I have been loosing weight and lost around 12kg recently. Still have 12kg more to loose.
I have started only eating between midday and 8pm. Then nothing for 16 hours. At the end of my 16 hours I am about 6mmol.
If I then eat my first bit of food for 16 hours, blood sugars shoot up to 16mmol ish. But over the next two hours they are back down to 7mmol ish. Seems a bit higher than when I would be if eating normally and not 16 hour fasting. Usually would go up to 12-13 mmol at most

That is shooting up quite a bit but is that just because I havent eaten for a while? What are peoples thoughts?
Im drinking a lot of water all the time to keep hydrated.

Endorium

What was the food, it may be what you ate rather than how long ago you ate?
Fish in a wrap. It wouldn't normally send it that high. Just seems odd that it shoots up and back down so quickly.y next meal I have 3 hours later doesn't even send it over 10, which is a huge improvement on normal.

Atta he'd yesterday's example. Shoots up and down on first thing to eat after 16 hours, then stays pretty good for the next meal and snacks I have.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240206-152846.png
    Screenshot_20240206-152846.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So your first meal of fish in a wrap has carbs in the wrap, is your second meal lower carb? or being later in the day you are less insulin resistant so may account for less of a rise.

Reactions: Endorium

Endorium

So your first meal of fish in a wrap has carbs in the wrap, is your second meal lower carb? or being later in the day you are less insulin resistant so may account for less of a rise.
Yes, fish in a wrap will have carbs, I was just curious why it spikes so much more than normal since I have started the 16/8 fasting. Also the second meal reacts less as well than normal. Both are foods/meals I have often.
More curiosity and observation since 16/8 fasting. I am happy as I am staying in the good range more without needing medication, I just wasn't expecting the initial meal spike to be so extreme

Reactions: Rachox

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat at about 12 hourly intervals as I found that kept my levels steadier.
After checking the effects I'd not eat anything grain based because that is way higher than the 10% carb limit I set for myself - I do have a bit of high cocoa chocolate from time to time, but not often and only one square.
I also found that carbs affect me more in the morning than the evening, so I have 1/4 of the days carbs in the morning and then the rest in the evening which works well as I can have a dessert after dinner.
As testing is possible, we just have to work with the results to seek out the best way to gain control. After 7 years I am pretty sure that I'd be able to cope with more carbs than I eat at the moment, but unfortunately my coping strategy is stashing them away as deposits of fat, so I'll stick to the gentle downward spiral of weight and waistline.

Endorium

I eat at about 12 hourly intervals as I found that kept my levels steadier.
After checking the effects I'd not eat anything grain based because that is way higher than the 10% carb limit I set for myself - I do have a bit of high cocoa chocolate from time to time, but not often and only one square.
I also found that carbs affect me more in the morning than the evening, so I have 1/4 of the days carbs in the morning and then the rest in the evening which works well as I can have a dessert after dinner.
As testing is possible, we just have to work with the results to seek out the best way to gain control. After 7 years I am pretty sure that I'd be able to cope with more carbs than I eat at the moment, but unfortunately my coping strategy is stashing them away as deposits of fat, so I'll stick to the gentle downward spiral of weight and waistline.
Thanks for the tip. Makes sense to leave carbs till second meal rather than at 12. Will adjust my diet for that first meal :)

Endorium

So thanks for the advice. Keeping breakfast lower in carbs then having carbs later really helped. Little spike bit far less crazy. Keep on like this and loose another 10kg I have some scope for remission

Endorium

So thanks for the advice. Keeping breakfast lower in carbs then having carbs later really helped. Little spike bit far less crazy. Keep on like this and loose another 10kg I have some scope for remission
1000044536.png

Reactions: KeredG

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That spike actually shows a very good Insulin response, although it is high, it is rapidly dropping to normal levels. I'd be pretty happy with that.