8-week Blood Sugar Diet

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jaynesmith . Your right the best way to be able to reduce your insulin is through weight loss and reduced carbs.
I've chosen to do a very low carb diet with full fat but not extra fat.
I've been advised to reduce my portion sizes. I've never tried that before. Well not in the last 10-15yrs. I'm currently giving great attention to low carb to form a good habit. Once I'm happy it is natural for me I will tackle portion control, in the same way.
Also my exercise regime stopped whilst I was suffering canagliflozin side affects. Now not on it and readdded the 12lb I originally lost. Due to weeing less and less insulin.
I'm resuming exercise on saturday with a lively swim. (Hopefully) From there I am hoping to increase exercise to incorporate cycling and minijogs. All have to be achieved in the least stressful way otherwise my bgs increase.
This insulin has to go or atleast decrease to half of what I'm taking now.
I reduced my insulin to just evening meal 44 units with canagliflozin.
Now 30 before breakfast, 30 before dinner and now 36 with supper, all very low carb. My aim is to at least half my needs with portion control and an exercise regime.
It's only taken 13yrs to understand my diabetes.
Well I'll rephrase that. It's taken me becoming a member of these forums and listening to good practice. :)

What a great post ickihun. If I could like it more than once, I would. :)

Reactions: 5 people

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nearing the end of week 7. 11.5 lbs ( 5kg) lost over the last few weeks bringing my BMI to 22.2 (still cannot believe it!) Bringing my total loss since Jan 2015 to 43.5lbs (19.7kg) fasting blood sugar hasn't really changed a great deal although pretty constantly in 5's and settling around 5.7 or 5.8. Hopefully they will fall one day, as I will continue low carb. I am seeing the GP next week and hope she will do blood tests, Hba1c and Cholesterol. One more week to go. It has been tough but not as tough as I expected, will do 6:1 and lchf for maintenance after this. Will post my final figures next Friday, let's see if I can get my loss to a round 20kg.

Reactions: 2 people

dragonfly63

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have to agree with all the positive comments on the thread. I discovered this book by accident when looking for ways to reduce sugar consumption and I give thanks every day. My husband has been a type 2 diabetic for eleven years and I have recently been diagnosed pre-diabetic. Initially it has proved expensive as although we thought that we ate reasonably healthily before, we have now cut out bread, potatoes, flour, pasta and rice as well as sugar and sweeteners but many of the things that we have bought will last for a long time. We have also given up alcohol so two or three bottles of wine a week between us, will probably cover the cost of the extras. My fruit and meat bill is vastly reduced and we are enjoying what we do. The freedom from always being hungry has been worth it alone. I have lost 6 Kgs in the first four weeks (81 Kgs to 75 Kgs so still a way to go) but I am so happy. For the first time in 30 years I really believe I can be within a healthy BMI range eventually.

Reactions: 8 people

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys not sure if this is the right place to post so disregard if off topic. I was diagnosed type 2 about 8 months ago. Didn't do much but started to monitor glucose about 3 weeks ago. Panicked as I was averaging around 10. I already knew about Newcastle diet but I'm a bit confused. Went to see GP who has referred me to diabetic dietician as she'd never heard of Newcastle diet . I really want to do this diet but I am 4 ft 11 and overweight (BMI 27.5) and just a 'normal' diet recommends 800cals ie not a very low cal diet. Do you think this diet is ok for me or would the calorie level be so low I'd collapse. Any ideas etc really appreciated

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys not sure if this is the right place to post so disregard if off topic. I was diagnosed type 2 about 8 months ago. Didn't do much but started to monitor glucose about 3 weeks ago. Panicked as I was averaging around 10. I already knew about Newcastle diet but I'm a bit confused. Went to see GP who has referred me to diabetic dietician as she'd never heard of Newcastle diet . I really want to do this diet but I am 4 ft 11 and overweight (BMI 27.5) and just a 'normal' diet recommends 800cals ie not a very low cal diet. Do you think this diet is ok for me or would the calorie level be so low I'd collapse. Any ideas etc really appreciated
The 8 week Moseley diet is based on the Newcastle Diet but using real food instead of meal replacement shakes. Both are 800 calories per day, only the food is different. If you have questions, best to get the book or read the Newcastle Diet information from their site:

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

dms1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got the book (well, the Kindle version) after reading about it on this forum but realise it won't work for me because it requires too much attention to detail. Having a mildly obsessive personality, I know I would spend all day measuring, weighing and recording, leaving no time for anything else! What seems to be working for me at the moment (physically and mentally) is low carb, higher fat eating with the option of skipping meals when I'm not actually hungry. Recognising hunger has been the highlight of this process for me so far - that and realising that I won't fall apart if I decide not to eat for a few hours.

Isn't it great, the way we get so much useful information from each other? Love it.

Type 2, diagnosed 2010, controlled by diet and exercise.

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will look at Moseley diet as I love to measure but I think I'll enjoy it

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read the Newcastle website so many times but it's not clear on calorie levels for smaller people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
realising that I won't fall apart if I decide not to eat for a few hours.

SO true! I seem to find the less I eat the less I need to eat and keeping meals more like snacks helps tremendously! Keeps hunger and cravings away. It is more energizing and cleansing as well. I just like to keep it simple and methodical every day though I still weigh my protein haha

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read the Newcastle website so many times but it's not clear on calorie levels for smaller people
Because the diet is a standard diet for anyone undertaking it - 3x meal replacement shakes at 600 calories plus 200 calories of non-starchy vegetables. Taylor was conducting a scientific experiment for publication, hence the conditions had to be the same for every participant. I don't know why you expect that there are special cases or adjustments for individuals?

Naomi425

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've written to Newcastle so let's see what they say.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
EVERY BODY has individual needs. Really? you are thinking every weight, size, metabolic, health issue, etc requires the same diet? Really?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
EVERY BODY has individual needs. Really? you are thinking every weight, size, metabolic, health issue, etc requires the same diet? Really?
If you're addressing me, I didn't say that. I said that the Newcastle Diet as specified on their website was designed in a very specific way to test specific hypotheses in a scientific way - it was not designed to meet every single person's dietary needs. Nor is there any such diet.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is what i was referring to, Sorry if i misunderstood

I sometimes wonder if Prof Taylor isn't sorry he started the whole thing - it's become bigger than Ben Hur.

The original diet was designed (as @Pipp said on another thread) to mimic the effects of bariatric surgery in obese type 2 patients to see if Type 2 would go away as it so often does after bariatric surgery. It was never meant to be an "everyman" diet.

I think Moseley's diet is probably a lot more "user friendly" because it gets people into the way of eating real food from the start - when the 8 weeks are up, it's much easier to adjust the calories back up by increasing the amount you eat and you've become educated about the foods that are appropriate.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have never read the book but seems every one is creating their own version. I assume (though do not know) that grains and dairy are not included in the original diet which IMO will take many people very far. But of course having not read it can not be sure. I personally believe in low carb (to not have to inject large amounts of insulin) moderate protein and moderate healthy fats (not high fat) . A sensible diet. Too many people eat way too much food. We can't absorb all our nutrients if we are spending the entire day digesting food. The body needs time to catch up and cleanse. It is weird for me that the more food I eat the hungrier I am and the less food the better I feel. And i never ate massive amounts of food though I would love to. I have learned food is 'just food' and get over what I can't have. It may taste great but there is always a price to pay one way or another.

Reactions: 6 people

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have some fantastic news. Just been to get the results of my Hba1c and it came back as 35!!!!!! I am gobsmacked and delighted of course. That is from 103 down to 35 in approximately 6 months. The Diabetic Nurse has stopped my Metformin and she reckoned that my diabetes was 'reversed'. The plan is to repeat the Hba1c in three months and then do a Glucose Tolerance Test.

Since my initial T2 diagnosis I have been on a LCHF diet, switching to the Michael Mosley 800 calorie diet 6 weeks ago. I am very grateful to all the help and advice provided on this website and Forum - quite literally life saving. The 800 calorie diet has been the cherry on the cake (not a good analogy for a diabetic). So for the time being I am still diabetic well controlled by diet. I would like to continue to lose weight and look forward to further tests in 3 months. Feeling very happy, smaller and fitter than I have been for a few years.

Reactions: 12 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have never read the book but seems every one is creating their own version. I assume (though do not know) that grains and dairy are not included in the original diet which IMO will take many people very far. But of course having not read it can not be sure. I personally believe in low carb (to not have to inject large amounts of insulin) moderate protein and moderate healthy fats (not high fat) . A sensible diet. Too many people eat way too much food. We can't absorb all our nutrients if we are spending the entire day digesting food. The body needs time to catch up and cleanse. It is weird for me that the more food I eat the hungrier I am and the less food the better I feel. And i never ate massive amounts of food though I would love to. I have learned food is 'just food' and get over what I can't have. It may taste great but there is always a price to pay one way or another.
I haven't read it either. So not going to analyse it until I have. At less than £5 I feel it is worth the outlay, so have ordered a copy online, despite not really wanting to add to the income of Dr Moseley. IMAO he is cashing in, bordering on plagiarism of other people's work, but perhaps that is harsh if he is getting the info to the masses, much better than the original academic researchers have.
So will read, and digest, (pun intended) before commenting further,. Apart from observing that several posts have mentioned doing 'my version' of diet A,B,or C. If people are adapting a particular regime, then how can we really evaluate the diet they have adapted?