1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

8-week Blood Sugar Diet

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by captainlynne, Jan 2, 2016.

1. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

What a great post ickihun. If I could like it more than once, I would. :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Donnadoobie

Donnadoobie Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Nearing the end of week 7. 11.5 lbs ( 5kg) lost over the last few weeks bringing my BMI to 22.2 (still cannot believe it!) Bringing my total loss since Jan 2015 to 43.5lbs (19.7kg) fasting blood sugar hasn't really changed a great deal although pretty constantly in 5's and settling around 5.7 or 5.8. Hopefully they will fall one day, as I will continue low carb. I am seeing the GP next week and hope she will do blood tests, Hba1c and Cholesterol. One more week to go. It has been tough but not as tough as I expected, will do 6:1 and lchf for maintenance after this. Will post my final figures next Friday, let's see if I can get my loss to a round 20kg.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. dragonfly63

dragonfly63 Prediabetes · Newbie

I have to agree with all the positive comments on the thread. I discovered this book by accident when looking for ways to reduce sugar consumption and I give thanks every day. My husband has been a type 2 diabetic for eleven years and I have recently been diagnosed pre-diabetic. Initially it has proved expensive as although we thought that we ate reasonably healthily before, we have now cut out bread, potatoes, flour, pasta and rice as well as sugar and sweeteners but many of the things that we have bought will last for a long time. We have also given up alcohol so two or three bottles of wine a week between us, will probably cover the cost of the extras. My fruit and meat bill is vastly reduced and we are enjoying what we do. The freedom from always being hungry has been worth it alone. I have lost 6 Kgs in the first four weeks (81 Kgs to 75 Kgs so still a way to go) but I am so happy. For the first time in 30 years I really believe I can be within a healthy BMI range eventually.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. Naomi425

Naomi425 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi guys not sure if this is the right place to post so disregard if off topic. I was diagnosed type 2 about 8 months ago. Didn't do much but started to monitor glucose about 3 weeks ago. Panicked as I was averaging around 10. I already knew about Newcastle diet but I'm a bit confused. Went to see GP who has referred me to diabetic dietician as she'd never heard of Newcastle diet . I really want to do this diet but I am 4 ft 11 and overweight (BMI 27.5) and just a 'normal' diet recommends 800cals ie not a very low cal diet. Do you think this diet is ok for me or would the calorie level be so low I'd collapse. Any ideas etc really appreciated

5. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

The 8 week Moseley diet is based on the Newcastle Diet but using real food instead of meal replacement shakes. Both are 800 calories per day, only the food is different. If you have questions, best to get the book or read the Newcastle Diet information from their site:

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

6. dms1

dms1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I got the book (well, the Kindle version) after reading about it on this forum but realise it won't work for me because it requires too much attention to detail. Having a mildly obsessive personality, I know I would spend all day measuring, weighing and recording, leaving no time for anything else! What seems to be working for me at the moment (physically and mentally) is low carb, higher fat eating with the option of skipping meals when I'm not actually hungry. Recognising hunger has been the highlight of this process for me so far - that and realising that I won't fall apart if I decide not to eat for a few hours.

Isn't it great, the way we get so much useful information from each other? Love it.

Type 2, diagnosed 2010, controlled by diet and exercise.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Naomi425

Will look at Moseley diet as I love to measure but I think I'll enjoy it

8. Naomi425

I've read the Newcastle website so many times but it's not clear on calorie levels for smaller people

9. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

SO true! I seem to find the less I eat the less I need to eat and keeping meals more like snacks helps tremendously! Keeps hunger and cravings away. It is more energizing and cleansing as well. I just like to keep it simple and methodical every day though I still weigh my protein haha

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Because the diet is a standard diet for anyone undertaking it - 3x meal replacement shakes at 600 calories plus 200 calories of non-starchy vegetables. Taylor was conducting a scientific experiment for publication, hence the conditions had to be the same for every participant. I don't know why you expect that there are special cases or adjustments for individuals?

11. Naomi425

I've written to Newcastle so let's see what they say.

12. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

EVERY BODY has individual needs. Really? you are thinking every weight, size, metabolic, health issue, etc requires the same diet? Really?

13. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

If you're addressing me, I didn't say that. I said that the Newcastle Diet as specified on their website was designed in a very specific way to test specific hypotheses in a scientific way - it was not designed to meet every single person's dietary needs. Nor is there any such diet.

14. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

That is what i was referring to, Sorry if i misunderstood

• Like Like x 3
  15. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

I sometimes wonder if Prof Taylor isn't sorry he started the whole thing - it's become bigger than Ben Hur.

The original diet was designed (as @Pipp said on another thread) to mimic the effects of bariatric surgery in obese type 2 patients to see if Type 2 would go away as it so often does after bariatric surgery. It was never meant to be an "everyman" diet.

I think Moseley's diet is probably a lot more "user friendly" because it gets people into the way of eating real food from the start - when the 8 weeks are up, it's much easier to adjust the calories back up by increasing the amount you eat and you've become educated about the foods that are appropriate.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I have never read the book but seems every one is creating their own version. I assume (though do not know) that grains and dairy are not included in the original diet which IMO will take many people very far. But of course having not read it can not be sure. I personally believe in low carb (to not have to inject large amounts of insulin) moderate protein and moderate healthy fats (not high fat) . A sensible diet. Too many people eat way too much food. We can't absorb all our nutrients if we are spending the entire day digesting food. The body needs time to catch up and cleanse. It is weird for me that the more food I eat the hungrier I am and the less food the better I feel. And i never ate massive amounts of food though I would love to. I have learned food is 'just food' and get over what I can't have. It may taste great but there is always a price to pay one way or another.

• Like Like x 6
  17. FloraDora

FloraDora I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have some fantastic news. Just been to get the results of my Hba1c and it came back as 35!!!!!! I am gobsmacked and delighted of course. That is from 103 down to 35 in approximately 6 months. The Diabetic Nurse has stopped my Metformin and she reckoned that my diabetes was 'reversed'. The plan is to repeat the Hba1c in three months and then do a Glucose Tolerance Test.

Since my initial T2 diagnosis I have been on a LCHF diet, switching to the Michael Mosley 800 calorie diet 6 weeks ago. I am very grateful to all the help and advice provided on this website and Forum - quite literally life saving. The 800 calorie diet has been the cherry on the cake (not a good analogy for a diabetic). So for the time being I am still diabetic well controlled by diet. I would like to continue to lose weight and look forward to further tests in 3 months. Feeling very happy, smaller and fitter than I have been for a few years.

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 5
  18. Donnadoobie

Donnadoobie Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

That's brilliant @FloraDora, you must be so pleased..

• Like Like x 2
  19. Naomi425

20. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I haven't read it either. So not going to analyse it until I have. At less than £5 I feel it is worth the outlay, so have ordered a copy online, despite not really wanting to add to the income of Dr Moseley. IMAO he is cashing in, bordering on plagiarism of other people's work, but perhaps that is harsh if he is getting the info to the masses, much better than the original academic researchers have.
    So will read, and digest, (pun intended) before commenting further,. Apart from observing that several posts have mentioned doing 'my version' of diet A,B,or C. If people are adapting a particular regime, then how can we really evaluate the diet they have adapted?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook