85% dark chocolate

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference 85% cocoa dark chocolate is also about 16g carbs per 100g. The pack contains 5 individually wrapped bars, about 4g carbs in each. Tastes lovely and does melt in the mouth!
this is what i buy for my choclate fix :hungry:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure what you were meaning by how do you test...now thinking how do you test to see if it affects blood glucose?

Well, same way as other things, just before you have it, for a baseline number, then at 1 hour, then 2. Shouldn't spike by more than 20 points or 2 mmols at that point.
So you are going to have one square of chocolate, wait 2 hours without any exercise, hope there is no glucogenesis and your meter is accurate. Since chocolate is a snack rather than a meal I think you are just going to have to trust the number of grams of carbohydrate you are adding to your normal intake.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So you are going to have one square of chocolate, wait 2 hours without any exercise, hope there is no glucogenesis and your meter is accurate. Since chocolate is a snack rather than a meal I think you are just going to have to trust the number of grams of carbohydrate you are adding to your normal intake.
Some people eat their chocolate at the end of a meal. They have the choice of either reducing the amount of other carbs in that meal to allow for the chocolate or adding on the chocolate to the rest. In either case, if the meal minus the chocolate is known to be OK, a later meter reading should show whether either strategy has been successful. Personally I eat my chocolate at the moment of setting off for a mile or more of walking and I have not seen it register on my meter. However the amount I eat each time is very small.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the Montezuma 100% chocolate (8g carbs per 100g), though it doesn't melt in the mouth quite as gloriously as the Lindt 90% (14g carbs per 100g). The downside of the Montezuma bar is that few shop sell it, but worse, that only part of the bar is divided into squares that facilitate dividing it into low-carb-friendly portions. Nearly half the bar is not marked into squares, but instead stamped with the Montezuma logo, and the bar is too chunky to be at all easily broken. I did send Montezuma an email complaining about this, but got no real response.

The big advantage of Montezuma, beside its very low carb content, is that it is one of the very few dark chocolate bars NOT to contain de-fatted cocoa powder. I understand that the de-fatting or Dutching process lowers the polyphenol content. So if like me you like to imagine that you are helping your immune system by indulging in dark chocolate, Montezuma is the brand to go for.

I found this annoying too! Why divide up only 1/2 the bar?
The Hotel Chocolate 100% buttons are my favourite though, not just the taste, but because 5 of them for 1g carbs can last me a lot longer than a square of other chocolate.
I also grate a single button onto low carb puds sometimes ( chocolate chia pud, sugar free jelly and cream, strawberries and Greek yoghurt etc) and it makes them seem quite luxurious.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I don't know what your gripe is, but this is the recommended way to test if somerthing affects your blood sugar. I'm not advocating it as a meal, I did only mention having several squares of a certain chocolate which is 2.5g of CHO.......I'd be in a sorry state if waiting 2 hours led to gluconeogenesis( I'm an RGN and I do test frequently and understand the importance of that), and yes, my meter is pretty accurate. I eat a low carb diet and this is included in my carb intake for the day. So, since it doesn't lead to spikes or gluconeogenesis, I will be continuing with this practice. As I said, I'm not sure what your argument is.

lolabob1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
exercise bikes
A cautionary tale:
This is by way of being a caution to those of us who love the 85% dark chocolate made by Moser and Roth, and sold by Aldi. When I shopped today there was no 85% dark chocolate on the shelf. A fellow diabetic customer pointed out another Moser and Roth bar, which said "Orange, 85% cocoa" and said she liked it even better "than the original 85%".
Superficially this looked like a great option - but then I read the back label. The "dark 85%" is 18g carbohydrate per 100g product (4.6g per bar) - the "orange 85% cocoa" is 47g carb per 100g product (17g per bar).
Moser and Roth make fantastic chocolates, and for many diabetics their 85% dark chocolate is the only confectionery we are able to include in our diet as a little luxury that doesn't impinge too much on glucose levels. Let's make certain we read ALL the nutritional information - not just the marketing info on the front cover.
I like dark chocco have you tried Chocologik sold in Morrisons and Tesco I find it doesn,t spike my sugar

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just bought some of this from Waitrose. Absolutely delicious. But way too easy to eat too much as I’vet just proved?

A00A225E-8E40-4998-A7C5-C781A54C6DC0.jpeg

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any folk that buy the Moser Roth 85% had trouble getting it lately? I only ask as my nearest Aldi (I'm in Scotland btw) didn't have any the other day so I messaged them to enquire them about when they would be receiving stock, they replied saying that it was temporarily unavailable and that they hoped to have it soon, I went into panic mode! Haha, however my grandad went today and they were fully stocked again o_O xx

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know what your gripe is, but this is the recommended way to test if somerthing affects your blood sugar. I'm not advocating it as a meal, I did only mention having several squares of a certain chocolate which is 2.5g of CHO.......I'd be in a sorry state if waiting 2 hours led to gluconeogenesis( I'm an RGN and I do test frequently and understand the importance of that), and yes, my meter is pretty accurate. I eat a low carb diet and this is included in my carb intake for the day. So, since it doesn't lead to spikes or gluconeogenesis, I will be continuing with this practice. As I said, I'm not sure what your argument is.
What I meant was, that trying to measure the effect of a few grams of something is impossible, as the margin of error is greater than the change you are trying to measure.