85% dark chocolate

APainter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A cautionary tale:
This is by way of being a caution to those of us who love the 85% dark chocolate made by Moser and Roth, and sold by Aldi. When I shopped today there was no 85% dark chocolate on the shelf. A fellow diabetic customer pointed out another Moser and Roth bar, which said "Orange, 85% cocoa" and said she liked it even better "than the original 85%".
Superficially this looked like a great option - but then I read the back label. The "dark 85%" is 18g carbohydrate per 100g product (4.6g per bar) - the "orange 85% cocoa" is 47g carb per 100g product (17g per bar).
Moser and Roth make fantastic chocolates, and for many diabetics their 85% dark chocolate is the only confectionery we are able to include in our diet as a little luxury that doesn't impinge too much on glucose levels. Let's make certain we read ALL the nutritional information - not just the marketing info on the front cover.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, it's easy to get caught out. I bought some chocolate Brazil nuts online once, not realising that the dark ones were highly sweetened and had more carbs than the milk.

Reactions: pjayem1964

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Larissima and dbr10

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
A cautionary tale:
This is by way of being a caution to those of us who love the 85% dark chocolate made by Moser and Roth, and sold by Aldi. When I shopped today there was no 85% dark chocolate on the shelf. A fellow diabetic customer pointed out another Moser and Roth bar, which said "Orange, 85% cocoa" and said she liked it even better "than the original 85%".
Superficially this looked like a great option - but then I read the back label. The "dark 85%" is 18g carbohydrate per 100g product (4.6g per bar) - the "orange 85% cocoa" is 47g carb per 100g product (17g per bar).
Moser and Roth make fantastic chocolates, and for many diabetics their 85% dark chocolate is the only confectionery we are able to include in our diet as a little luxury that doesn't impinge too much on glucose levels. Let's make certain we read ALL the nutritional information - not just the marketing info on the front cover.
I love a square of 85% dark as an evening treat but don't know that one at all. I tend to have either Linft or Green&Blacks, but Lindt has the least carbs of the two. I find that a tiny amount left to disolve in my mouth completely satisfies my chocolate temptation too.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I would recommend Cavalier Chocolates instead. It's sweetened with Stevia so it won't spike your blood glucose levels, available at Waitrose or Ocado.com

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/produ...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNnO1Pmj3doCFcKzUQodS3cCnQ

Also try Montezuma dark chocolates.

https://www.montezumas.co.uk/bars-c...ar-with-orange-cocoa-nibs-absolute-black-p326

Always read the labels at the back for carbohydrates and sugar content.
Hi, is the Ocado product the right link? Much more carbs and sugar shown than the 85% Lindt. Thanks

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I have 8 squares of Montezumas Absolute Black 100% everyday when I eat something, which is around 3 grams for the 8 squrares (8 grams per 100 i.e. the entire bar).

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d recommend 100% choc buttons from hotel chocolate it’s a big bag tends to last me a while and one button is 0.2g of carb often find just a couple with my coffee hit the chocolate need spot!
http://www.hotelchocolat.com/uk/100-dark-chocolate-drops.html
I buy two when on offer and last bought them a few months ago.
I also have Lindt 90% sometimes but I find it hard not to eat too much of this one!

Reactions: marianhf and dbr10

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hotel Chocolat as a 'more cocoa less sugar' section and I prefer its 95% Columbian stuff to Lindt 99%; both bitter but the former has some other flavours going on to offset the bitter.
Also I have to say I am rather keen on their Salted Caramel vodka but please drink responsibly!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lindt 90% is my favourite. 14.7g per 100g bar, so 1.47g per square.
I found it rather bitter the first time I tasted it, but now think it's lovely.
I have been meaning to try Hotel Chocolat but haven't got round to it yet.

Reactions: Dodo

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love the Montezuma 100% chocolate (8g carbs per 100g), though it doesn't melt in the mouth quite as gloriously as the Lindt 90% (14g carbs per 100g). The downside of the Montezuma bar is that few shop sell it, but worse, that only part of the bar is divided into squares that facilitate dividing it into low-carb-friendly portions. Nearly half the bar is not marked into squares, but instead stamped with the Montezuma logo, and the bar is too chunky to be at all easily broken. I did send Montezuma an email complaining about this, but got no real response.

The big advantage of Montezuma, beside its very low carb content, is that it is one of the very few dark chocolate bars NOT to contain de-fatted cocoa powder. I understand that the de-fatting or Dutching process lowers the polyphenol content. So if like me you like to imagine that you are helping your immune system by indulging in dark chocolate, Montezuma is the brand to go for.

Reactions: dbr10

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lindt 90% is my favourite. 14.7g per 100g bar, so 1.47g per square.
There is also a Lindt 95% bar, but I have not managed to track it down yet, so have no idea how it compares with the 90%.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I prefer its 95% Columbian stuff to Lindt 99%; both bitter but the former has some other flavours going on to offset the bitter.
I recently bought a Waitrose single Origin 90% Fair Trade bar from the Dominican Republic, but I'm not sure I like the taste, which is very distinctive. Certainly interesting, 15g carbs per 100g.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’d recommend 100% choc buttons from hotel chocolate
I like the sound of these. Breaking bars up into equal pieces is always a bit tricky. I had a look at the Hotel Chocolate site and found, to my surprise and pleasure, that they have 3 stockists in my town including a shop of their own and John Lewis, so no postage to pay. I shall certainly look out for BOGOF offers.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, is the Ocado product the right link? Much more carbs and sugar shown than the 85% Lindt. Thanks
No it's for their milk chocolate! This is the dark 85% version: https://www.ocado.com/webshop/produ...ier+dark+&parentContainer=SEARCHcavalier+dark
The carb count is almosr identical, but with different make up (for want of a better word)
  • Cavalier -
    Carbohydrate 18,7g
    of which sugars 3,2g
    of which polyols 8,7g
  • Lindt -
    Carbohydrate 19 g
    of which sugars 11 g
I quite like the Cavalier (originally recommended in a post by @bulkbiker) as it isn't quite so bitter, but the Lindt is actually much more satisfying per piece and the one I prefer.

Robbity

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’d recommend 100% choc buttons from hotel chocolate
Currently £6 for a 230g bag, £10 for 2, which for 100% chocolate is quite reasonable. I also found a 10% off voucher DDS10HC but I'm not sure this can be used in store. Click and collect is free, but Hotel Chocolat denies having any stock in my local shops, despite my having seen the buttons there yesterday. So I'll try the code over the counter and see what happens.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Beware - always read the label! Whereas the Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons have only 10.4g carbs per 100g some of their 100% bars have as much as 24g carbs. How they can manage this without any added ingredients is a mystery to me.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Beware - always read the label! Whereas the Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons have only 10.4g carbs per 100g some of their 100% bars have as much as 24g carbs. How they can manage this without any added ingredients is a mystery to me.
Been caught out before.