arabia1962

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my friend got blood tested and is showing at 9.5 she has to do a fst and be retested can you tell me if you think she has diabetes 2 and if she will get put on medication

lorrainem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who stand in doorways!
my friend got blood tested and is showing at 9.5 she has to do a fst and be retested can you tell me if you think she has diabetes 2 and if she will get put on medication
You need to wait for the test post the fast-why are you trying to guess the answer?

arabia1962

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am asking this question because she is worried and I thought that 9.5 was high, she also has high BP and her chlorestrol is high too and she will not find out until next week re the fasting blood test

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
9.5 is higher than normal but Lorraine is correct, best wait until she sees her doc again for full results. We can advise but not diagnose. Nice that you're concerned for her though.

Reactions: 3 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It all depends who did the testing, how long before the test she had eaten and a number of other variables. A reading of 9.5 is good enough to push someone in the direction of getting a proper test done, but you can't say at this point wether it is diabetes.

To answer the second part, I had a fasting blood test on a venous sample which is more accurate than a finger prick. This was 9.8 and this, in turn prompted a HBA1c, which was 86. That was high enough to confirm a diagnosis. However, without medication, I brought this down to 48 in 4 months and to 36 in one year. If you friend is well motivated, there is a good possibility that she can do the same. But, the first thing to do is find out and the second thing to do is not to worry in the meantime.

Reactions: 3 people

arabia1962

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it was 9.5 but not a fasting one, and it was done through her nurse at the surgery as she was getting tested for different things and it was through taking blood from her arm, the fasting test will be later on in the week hopefully, so I am hoping that she doesnt have it, I could not get mine down with diet alone and tried painfully with Metformin for a year or more and could hardly go out the house without going to the toilet so unfortunately I had to come off that, and my diabetes isnt under control yet, I have joined a gym and I am going a few times a week and also cut smoking by half (should give up completely) its a cruel world