9 weeks pregnant, what to eat?

Jazmine287

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,
I was diagnosed as type 2 about 2 months before falling pregnant. I'm currently on 1 x 500mg Metformin twice a day, and am getting a blood sugar meter tonight from my drs. I have the guideline numbers I need to try to get to, and a diabetic midwife app on thurs but I just have a few questions if anyone wouldn't mind answering.

What do I eat? I feel like I'm going to be living off salad and meat lol. Do I just try out random stuff to see how it effects my sugar levels and work from there? Would anyone be kind enough to tell me what they basically eat in a day? I am a complete novice at all this as you can see! Doing my shopping online tonight so any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations @Jazmine287 :)

You should be given a whole lot of useful info at your diabetic midwife appointment, but in the meantime, once you get your meter it will be very helpful in showing you what you can eat because you can see how your blood sugar is affected. You might also have a dietician appointment to help you plan out a diet that will both nourish you and baby and keep your blood sugar under control. Sometimes Type 2s need additional meds during pregnancy as the pregnancy itself causes quite strong insulin resistance.

I'm Type 1 not Type 2, but during pregnancy I ate pretty much the same as pre-pregnancy but avoided all the foods you're not supposed to,eat when pregnant, added some fats and made sure to eat plenty of veg and to space out my meals and snacks throughout the day. I spread my carbs throughout the day.

I tested very frequently too so I could try to,stay on target as much as possible.

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Download the carbs &a cals app it's v helpful:)
See what works for you as everybody is different with their triggers (mine is chips , pasta ,rice everything carb) lol fun
Maybe try to go for brown rice ,pasta whole grain foods
I find quorn food a hit for my blood sugars for some reason too
I make things such as sweet potatoe lentil butter beans and sausage caserole
Make the yummy food a bit more low carb by adapting
I'm also type one but food is still food with diabetes isn't it
Good luck xx

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try putting lots of olive oil on your salad as you need to replace the energy you would have got from lots of carbs, you may also need a little more salt then you expect.

While pregnant is not the time to make big charges to your diet unless you have to, therefore don't try to reverse your Type2, just control it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a pity that you have not had a meter so you could have seen how various foods affect you - but that can't be fixed now - so I'd guess that you can safely eat any meat or fish, eggs, cheese in moderation - but any sort of salad, and mushrooms, peppers, cauliflower, courgette, radish, bean sprouts, cucumber, cabbage, spaghetti squash, aubergine, celeriac, celery, leeks, spring onions, french beans, petit pois, chard, kale - there is no shortage of things to eat, and you can probably add the lower sugar fruits in moderation.
I buy creamy coleslaw, extra virgin olive oil, red and white wine vinegar, mayonnaise - and Lidl protein rolls as they do not spike me.
I just planted rhubarb as that is probably going to be useful.
I have low carb mixtures of vegetables and berries in the freezer so as to have them there as a safety net if for some reason I can't get to the shops.
If you want to eat heavier carbs I would advise caution and to go by your meter, to see what portion size is advisable. I was so ill when pregnant and forced to eat 'healthy' carbs under threat of hospitalization if I didn't.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Azure, your links under your post are really useful, and thanks for your reply!

You're welcome :)

Ask your dietician for some sample meals so you get an idea of what's good (and if you haven't got an appointment for a dietician yet, ask for one!) You don't need to live on salad and meat : D There are plenty of tasty and nutritious foods for you and baby from all the food groups, including carbs :)