!

sandymaynard

Hi Red,
They are not having a arguement they are disagreeing on a few things!
I am sure that they will sort things out! We all have our own ways of doing things!
I try where possable to stick to a smaller plate than i used to use all the time! This is how i have cut down my own size of meals!
this is the best way slowly cut down off certain foods! It is all very confusing at times!
Please everyone calm down! I have only been back just over a day we all have our own thoughts! Please lets work together on this and no fights!
Sandy

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
red said:
why is everyone arguing

The trouble with forums is everyone 'thinks' they are an expert!!Everyone on this forum has an opinion and some just argue black is white! :D
Red,read the suggestions,find the one that you are most comfortable with and try for a week.if you find that it is not working,try another.
We are here to help and support you if you want and I wish you the best of luck with gaining control of your diabetes.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To be honest in some ways the weights on the chart could be confusing.It shows 2 cupped hands for cereal but says 240g. I weigh my oatmeal in the morning and use 40gms, ( many might use less), with milk added it probably weighs about 240g but 240g dry weight made into porridge would be enough to feed a family.

Not arguing, discussing :!:

red

to sandy
I read your other post, I am really sorry your mum is ill and all what is happening. I am new here, so I hope you dont mind me commenting, but obviously people think a lot of your here. I think you are handling the situation really really well. I feel for you, I had a lot of conflict with my mother then she died, so I think your way of handling the situation and being so loving is really the best thing to do for you and her, it is now likely that it is you who will at some point be left with your memories, you cant really stop her giving it out but if you remain graceful thats all you can do. Sorry it is so hard for you. x

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
The point I have failed to make is that food weight can be crucial in determining an insulin dose for example. Looking at a picture and a grouped list of items stated as all being 120g just doesn't cut it when compared against actually weighing a specific amount of food on some reliable scales. I'm not arguing and I'm certainly no expert, but the difference in insulin dose between 25g and 40g of food could be enough to send me hypo. Sorry to have given the wrong impression. :(

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
That's ok Kegstore,it's just that Red is not on insulin and needs information pertaining to her condition.

sandymaynard

Hi Red
I am fine, My mum passed away on 28th of june, and her partner haley died on 8th july!
Don't worry about me, i worry for everyone else, i don't like to see people fighting or having arguements i grew up with way too many!
I don't mind you commenting!
Thing is red i try and help as much as i can help anyone! I have always been a mother hen to anyone who needs a wing to curl up under or needs a hug!
As my mum said before she died she wished she could of been more like me! She said i am one in a million! No i just care about other peoples feelings and what is happening!
It is scary being the new person! The best way is to ask as many questions no matter how silly you may think they are! as everybody here will answer you openly and honestly if they can! But everybody here works together and we all pull together! Without this forum i think i would of cracked up by now and been in a ward!
I can assure you that this forum is a great one, the people here have helped me no end get through some very bad times of late!
It is nice to be able to go somewhere and know that there are understanding people always there to offer advice and support when ever you need it!
We all need support and understanding!
Sandy

sandymaynard

Hi Red
Don't be sorry! I am okay with it she was 75 after all! She had a good long life!
How are you? How is your BG at the minute?
We all have down minutes and good minutes i had 6 weeks of bad, now i am back and better than ever at the minute!
Sandy

red

Im sorry about your mum and I'm sorry I made a mistake.
thanks for asking, Im a bit embarssed to admit, as I think I have drove everyone nuts on here, but by changing the porting sizes for the first time my bg have dropped from 7-10 average 8.5, to between 6 and 7.5 today (although upon waking 10), which is actually a really great breakthrough for me but it feels like I am eating enough for my baby miniture hamster! I guess I will have to get used to it. Im glad you asked becuase I wasnt gonna report it on here becuase everytime I write something it seems to go a bit wonky, but I am very grateful for the advice I have got here, so thankyou to all

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Red, I posted the pic of my fists on a plate as a bit of fun, I'm sorry if you or anyone else took it the wrong way :D

I did it to show what a plate would look like with a pile of rice or potatoes the size of my two fists, which actually are not that big. But I guess it does depend on the size of your fists which makes Kegstore's point about weighing food all the more valid.

And 240g of cereal is that a typo? A box of Corn Flakes I have in the cupboard says it contains 16 x 30g portions!!! A 30g portion of Corn Flakes with 125ml of semi skimmed milk is 31g of carbs which is why I have them for breakfast very rarely nowadays :)

sandymaynard

Hi red,
I am glad that it is helping but don't feel ashmed or shy to ask questions at all! If at all you have a question that you think that i can help please Pm me!
There is no need to say sorry you have done nothing wrong what so ever!
All you asked for was some help!
red i can openly admit i am nuts anyway! You have to be nowaday's! It takes a little time to get BG under control as it is can be hard work! We all have different ways of being able to cope with what ever we eat!
please never be affraid to post or ask anything! You have nothing to fear!
Sandy

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Sandy
You have the biggest, kindest heart :D
Your Mum and Haley taught you kindness and love, whatever else went wrong.
Thanks for being you
Hana

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Red,

Sorry not to have responded to your original question sooner but I have been off-air all weekend.

I think I have a solution to why you woke with a BG of 10 after a meal containing 8g of carbs some 14 hours earlier. Your body's own insulin would have had little difficulty in processing such a small amount of carbs and certainly by the time you went to bed your BG would have been quite low. When the BG level drops then instead of producing insulin your pancreas produces glucagon, which signals to your liver to pump out glucose to raise your BG levels. Your liver will have been doing this during the night and so you woke up with an unexpectedly high BG.

In a non-diabetic person your pancreas would simply have responded to the rise in BG and produced a bit more insulin to deal with it. When the pancreas produces insulin it also stops producing glucagon, which switches off the liver's glucose production.

But in a diabetic person, the pancreas doesn't always respond correctly to this liver production, so no insulin gets produced, which means the glucagon doesn't get switched off, so your liver just continues to produce glucose - which it seems to have done all night! Ironically the only way to stop it doing this is to eat something containing carbs so that your pancreas wakes up and starts to produce insulin again.

A bit late now, but the answer to your original question about what to do in the morning would be to eat some breakfast. Incidentally, I appreciate that you are trying to reduce your carb intake but you do need a balance of other things as well, like vitamins, minerals and fibre, which you won't find in a burger or a protein drink. Reducing your carb intake doesn't mean eating only protein - there are salads, green vegetables, nuts and seeds, and lower-carb fruits such as berries that will provide a much better balance to your diet.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Red,

It seems I was a bit late with the above info - I see from other topics that you have already discovered the delights of the dawn phenomenon.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I was once shown a "portion" of carbs as a level soup ladle full. I couldn't handle that myself, but It's what I was told. Soup ladles don't vary much in size. I could just about get that much rice into one cupped hand. I wouldn't eat half that.