!

red

how do you know what is the right amount of portion size. is there a book you can buy that states what to eat including portion sizes? i just cant get this. last night i ate 2 beefburgers for dinner at about 6pm (3.5 carbs each) i didnt eat anything else with it or after it apart from a 1 carb drink of protein orange. at 8am this morning my bg is 10!! is that eating too much portion? is medication for people who dont want to try any more with diet? should you have only one hamburger for dinner or half? can you definately get bg figures down to 4-7 if you get the portion sizes right? This is so hard, its like hard to follow the rules, but theres not even any clear rules to follow. do you have to starve to get your bs down, like if mine is 10 right now what the hell is the right thing or the sensible thing to do: to eat breakfast, not to eat it, to wait for it to go down on its own. are they any definate answers here or just more and more questions. I really want to get it right and I would probably try anything right now I just cant work out how to. my fingers are killing me with all the testing. if i dont eat all day will that get the bg between 4-7 and then will it be possible to keep it there? I dont really want to take meds if there is another way. so is it best to stay a bit high on bg levels (7-10) and continue to try wih diet, or should i just get the meds anyway.and its not really an option for advice at my surgery where the doctor and nurse told me to eat beans, potatoes and rice yeah right. I think I am beginning to sound like I am difficult here but I am at my wits end really. any advice welcome.

caitycakes1

Hi Red,

from what you say about the burgers, they look ok. Perhaps the protein drink caused the rise. Protein is still converted to glucose in your blood albeit at a slower rate and at about 50% I think(jump in anyone and correct me if I'm wrong). I never touch protein drinks, I think those drinks are pretty much loaded with protein compared to a chicken breast etc. I prefer to get my protein from food. You probably could have had a largeish salad with those burgers without too much trouble with bg levels or indeed calories.

Caitycakes x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Handy Portion Guide

YOUR HANDS.THEY’RE ALWAYS WITH YOU, AND THEY’RE ALWAYS THE SAME SIZE!
Your hands can be very useful in estimating appropriate portions. When planning a meal, use these portion sizes as a guide.

CARBOHYDRATES (grains and starches): Choose an amount the size of your 2 fists. For fruit, use 1 fist.

VEGETABLES: Choose as much as you can hold in both hands. Choose low-carbohydrate vegetables
(e.g. green or yellow beans, broccoli, lettuce).

PROTEIN: Choose an amount the size of the palm of your hand and the thickness of your little finger.

FAT: Limit fat to an amount the size of the tip of your thumb.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Red.

Everybody here and in other posts has given you sound advice.

However, I think in your circumstances you are going to have to accept that some form of medication is the way forward. Diet only clearly isn't working although you really haven't got your head round all the things you need to do to make a success of diet control. It is not an easy thing to do.

I suggest you see your GP and get something to help you control those Bg levels, then you can concentrate on the weight loss. Bg levels are much more important at this stage.

Ken.

ShyGirl

I don't know anything about meat but if you are 10 when you haven't eaten for over 10 hours I think you should see your GP and start taking medication.
It might feel scary but having such elevated levels will lead to long term damage and you can always reduce the amount of medication you take if a low carb diet works for you.

Good luck.

sandymaynard

Hi red
I would say that you need help with your control, i would say get some form of meds off your gp!
Thing is red there is no magic book that gives us daibetics a golden rule of what to do and where!
I never touch protien drinks as these would cause me to go high!
For instance if i ate 2 shop bought beefburgers and had a glass of normal coke my blood sugars would hit around the 18 mark!
But if i make 2 homemade burgers have a glass of pepsi max and no bread or burger buns, my blood sugars would never go above 8.4.
This is what i have found myself! i have tried different things at different times!
As far as i know when the body is overloaded with protien your body can turn it into glucose! I am not perfect myself! Far from it, i don't know the ins and out's of it all!
But i took people advice on here! I have been losing weight, as you can see 54lbs so far hopeing for more loss on monday when i get weighed! As a diabetic the more control we have on our body weight the better chance of getting a better control of our blood sugars!
Hope this helps
Sandy

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
sugarless sue said:
CARBOHYDRATES (grains and starches): Choose an amount the size of your 2 fists.

Sue, as I'm sure you know by now I don't consider myself a 'low carber' but that amount of carbs, rice or potatoes etc sounds huge to me. :?

I have always used the cupped hand portion control, and for carbs I have one cupped handfull. ie. small handfull of rice or two or three small new potatoes, the size of say, two eggs. I would guess that two fists would be four times the size of one cupped hand. :shock:

It was the NHS diabetes nurse who told me one cupped hand is a portion.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sid.

Perhaps your hands aren't like the rest of us ? :?

A 'fist' is roughly equivalent to your cupped hand size. As Red is having to cut down from huge amounts of food consumed it is entirely suitable to encourage a reduction in portion sizes in gradual steps. Which is exactly what Sue is doing. Read all her posts, then you might understand better ?

Too much too soon is not recommended. Red couldn't possibly cut down to the levels you are talking about yet. I am sure she will benefit from Sue and other's advice.

As for the good old Diabetic Nurse, where would we be without them ? Such treasures. :D

Romola

I was wondering if the two burgers were eaten with or without burger buns.

That could have made all the difference.

On the low glycemic load regime that I follow, half a burger bun would have been the maximum amount of bread at one meal - and no other starchy carbs at the same meal.

Also no colas - even diet colas, because of the high amount of caffeine, which can play havoc with blood sugar levels.

red

firstly I am a girl. and thankyou for the posts, all of them. No i didnt have any buns with the burgers, wouldnt have dreamed of it. from all I have got from here I think upon reflection that I am having under 40 carbs a day, but masses of protien becuae I thought that was the only option which it is obvously not, actually it didnt even feel like mases of anything but I guess fromthe portions control sizes people are explaining it was mases.I am going to try to control those sizes and have one final try at that. I can let you know how it goes and I m sorry for asking so many questions.

red

also thanks about the caffine in cokes, there is so much you need to know. its like you probably wont even have time to eat anymore anyway, becuase you will have to be studying about diabetes the rest of your life. :D

sandymaynard

Hi red,
don't appolgise about asking questions, we all need to ask questions! it is the way we learn how to cope!
we are here to ask questions just ask what you need to know! we will help how ever we can!
Sandy

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
cugila said:
Perhaps your hands aren't like the rest of us ? :?
Your kidding right? :?

I fully appreciate that Red is trying to cut down on portion size, but I think that to advise that an acceptable portion of carbs is two fists big is way over the top.

Bon Appetit
bon%20appetit.jpg

Mmm, just room for a sausage or 1/2 a burger :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So which Gorilla did you get to pose for that then. :D

I think you're the one that's having us on. You are so funny Sid. :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Oh my!!I go away for the morning and this happens!! :lol: :lol: I wish I could have put the pictures on from the original leaflet which are totally different from Sid's picture, but they did not copy.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
This ,hopefully ,is the pictures of the handy portion sizes!!

This is the 'plate ' that is suggested,you will notice that the portion sizes are smaller than the UK recommended sizes.

Attachments

• plan your portions1.jpg
    plan your portions1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 537
  • handy portion sizes2a.jpg
    handy portion sizes2a.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 539

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works - most unlike me - but "portion" is a terribly subjective term? And quite inaccurate? You can't beat good old weight in grams (or ounces), even more important when the foodstuff concerned has some impact on blood sugar.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
If you had read Phoenix's link you will see that there are actual weight/volume measurements on it!!!