A Big Thank You

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello All!

I felt it was right to say a big thank you to all of you on here.

I was diagnosed as a Type 1 back in June and the nature of my job (airline pilot) meant that it was all in doubt. Not cool at any age, let alone 24!

I stuck in there, used the thought of getting my Class 1 pilots medical back as my motivation and coupled with my fantastic health team and here, it's now become a reality - I received my reinstated medical through the post today after 4 months of demonstrating control. The 27th person to be insulin dependant and flying commercial airliners.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160912192956.htm - a very interesting read.

From little hints & tips to exercise, I've used lots of advice off of here and can't thank you enough!

Keep up the good work everyone!

Cheers

Scott

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Great news on your medical Scott - and also very inspiring knowing that your type 1 has not stopped you pursuing your career ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello All!

I was diagnosed as a Type 1 back in June and the nature of my job (airline pilot) meant that it was all in doubt. Not cool at any age, let alone 24!

I stuck in there, used the thought of getting my Class 1 pilots medical back as my motivation and coupled with my fantastic health team and here, it's now become a reality - I received my reinstated medical through the post today after 4 months of demonstrating control. The 27th person to be insulin dependant and flying commercial airliners.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160912192956.htm - a very interesting read.

From little hints & tips to exercise, I've used lots of advice off of here and can't thank you enough!

Cheers

Scott

That's wonderful news, so pleased for you :)

Reactions: himtoo and ScottyD

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello All!

Cheers

Scott

Absolutely fabulous outcome Scotty. I wouldn't affect my respect for your application and tenacity one jot, but is the 27, 27 in the UK, or 27 worldwide?

I'm sure @Administrator would like to read your news. He loves a decent outcome, and yours is a bit special. Really well done!

Reactions: ScottyD

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks every one, means a lot!

It's just nice to one of those other people on here showing that with a bit of forward thinking, diabetes really isn't a huge burden in life. Until things like feeling unwell show their head now and then.

Well it's 27 in the UK and Ireland. Only the UK, Ireland and Canada allow commercial pilots with diabetes that's treated with insulin so you can pretty much say it's worldwide!

Reactions: himtoo and Prem51

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks every one, means a lot!

It's just nice to one of those other people on here showing that with a bit of forward thinking, diabetes really isn't a huge burden in life. Until things like feeling unwell show their head now and then.

Well it's 27 in the UK and Ireland. Only the UK, Ireland and Canada allow commercial pilots with diabetes that's treated with insulin so you can pretty much say it's worldwide!

Is it fair to assume you have an equivalent of the "5 to drive" for flying?

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello All!

Cheers

Scott

That is amazing. Can we do an interview with you? Can you send [email protected] an email? We'd love to share your story this Diabetes Awareness Month!

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Is it fair to assume you have an equivalent of the "5 to drive" for flying?

We have to check 2 hours before take-off or 1 hour before reporting to work. This must be above 4mmol.
Then we check within 30 minutes before take-off, every hour after, and within 30 minutes before landing which, like driving, must be above 5mmol.

Certain actions to take when above 15mmol and 20mmol.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Awesome news! My partner and I own a Mooney, both pilots - once you've got the buzz eh?

So pleased for you, an inspiring story!

Reactions: Juicyj

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
just massive smiles here -- @ScottyD

Reactions: Juicyj

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Awesome news! My partner and I own a Mooney, both pilots - once you've got the buzz eh?

So pleased for you, an inspiring story!

Thanks everyone, you've all been great!

Aw wow! With Type 2, I take it you've still got dealings with the CAA? Oh yes, it's a buzz you can't get rid off. Unless it's horrible, windy and gusty - what a time of year to go back to it!!