A borderline thyroid

Stevieepx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Heyup people,

Longtime reader, first time poster here (be gentle with me).

So just started my 2nd annual diabetes review. Gold stars all round for the last one (HbA1c of 5.8).

However, I've just taken a call from the surgery saying my thyroid is 'borderline' and they want another blood test in 6 weeks. This is what they said shortly before I was diagnosed with T2 and since I've lost weight and been in relatively good control of my b/s levels I am a bit perplexed.

The fact they're not airlifting me to an underground medical bunker suggests I'm not imminently about to drop dead, but I am a bit alarmed.

I know from reading around there's thought to be a close link between a wonky thyroid and diabetes. Has anybody else experienced this diagnosis?

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Stevieepx and well done for reducing your HbA1c and weight.
T2 diabetes does often seem to go with thyroid problems, but I would think it's more that the thyroid problem contributes towards the T2 diabetes, rather than the other way round. The thyroid gland produces thyroxine which controls many of the body's organs and functions.

I have hypothyroidism which means my thyroid gland doesn't produce enough thyroxine. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about seven years before I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes. I don't know if it caused the T2, but may well be one of the many factors which contributed.

Controlling the T2 isn't going to result in the thyroid problem improving. Once you are diagnosed with hypo/hyperthyroidism you will have it for life.
The good news is that thyroid problems are usually quite easily dealt with by synthetic thyroxine tablets.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Heyup people,

So just started my 2nd annual diabetes review. Gold stars all round for the last one (HbA1c of 5.8).

However, I've just taken a call from the surgery saying my thyroid is 'borderline' and they want another blood test in 6 weeks. This is what they said shortly before I was diagnosed with T2 and since I've lost weight and been in relatively good control of my b/s levels I am a bit perplexed.

The fact they're not airlifting me to an underground medical bunker suggests I'm not imminently about to drop dead, but I am a bit alarmed.

I know from reading around there's thought to be a close link between a wonky thyroid and diabetes. Has anybody else experienced this diagnosis?

Hi there Stevie - I'm another one with a bit of a wonky thyroid gland.

Like diabetes, there are a few different types of thyroid conditions, some can improve and resolved themselves and others tend to stick around.

I'm assuming as you are somewhat surprised that you don't have any symptoms from your thyroid, which has to be good.

Levels of TSH (which is what most diagnosis are made from) can fluctuate, and in some folks fluctuate quite a bit, hence the reason your GP will want to have a look at it again in a few weeks. If you are diagnosed, the chances are the treatment would be by a daily tablet.

Nobody wants to pick up another diagnosis, but by-and-large there are a lot worse things.

Heartsurvivor

Hi, I was diagnosed severely hypothyroid back in 1998, prediabetic in 2010, and then had a massive heart attack in 2016 at the age of 64. My gallbladder (+ a 28mm gallstone) was removed in 2017. I’m not overweight. I’m absolutely convinced there is a link between all of this. It would appear I have calcifications in my body but don’t know why. I’ve been recalled three times after routine mammograms and even have calcifications in my breasts!
If you are hypothyroid, this can be successfully treated with daily replacement medication.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just taken my daily dose of Thyroxine, which I have done for donkey's years now.
My thyroid was in trouble and was up and down for a long time before it went out completely - my TSH was about 4000 times higher than it should have been at diagnosis.
I'd have preferred to have had a small amount of Thyroxine much earlier, rather than go into total failure before anything was done - but that is the way things are done - I was 'a very bad diabetic' at diagnosis in 2016 - but I'm keeping going.

APR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Stevieepx - Add another gold star to the pile for your HbA1c! Well done you. No need to be overly alarmed at the potential thyroid issue. I’ve also got an underactive thyroid – been diagnosed 10 years – and under activity is probably the most “common” type of thyroid problem. But If you do get a diagnosis of an underactive thyroid I want to highlight the potential auto-immune component to hypothyroidism for a large number of those diagnosed.

It seems a majority of people with hypothyroidism have an auto-immune condition called Hashimoto’s thyroiditis – whereby the body’s immune system attacks the thyroid. Doctors don’t usually test for the antibodies because the mainstream treatment is the same if you have it or don’t – Levothyroxine. But with Hashimoto’s that just treats the symptom, not the cause. For years I suffered severe IBS and severe acid reflux and read research that suggested these conditions also have an auto-immune component. And very recently I read there’s some thought that diabetes T2 as well as being a metabolic disorder may also have an auto-immune component.

I tested negative for coeliac but following a gluten-free diet “cured” my IBS and reflux. However, my thyroid test results were taking a nose dive. I pushed for the Hashimoto’s antibodies test – which I finally got last year and to which I tested positive. I researched diet for auto-immune issues, worked really hard on alleviating my emotional eating and was finally able to go all grain- and sugar-free. Earlier this year at my six-month follow up appointment with the Endocrinologist, my test results came back the best they’d ever been. I’m only taking 25mcg more Levothyroxine than previously so I’m confident it’s the change in diet that’s helped to calm my auto-immune response which has led to the improvement.

Following a (grain/gluten- and sugar-free) LCHF diet has improved my thyroid function, helped me to lose weight (more to go but with a dodgy thyroid losing weight is supposed to be nigh on impossible), “cured” my IBS and acid reflux, alleviated almost entirely chronic hives and brought my blood sugars back to normal (last HbA1c 5.5%).

If you’re up for it and feel able, it might prove interesting to go grain- and sugar-free for the next 6 weeks and see if it makes any difference to your thyroid test results. Irregardless, when you have bloods taken do ask them if they will test not only TSH but also Free T4 and Free T3. If it was me I’d also ask if they can test for Reverse T3 and antibodies for Hashimoto’s. They likely won’t know what you’re talking about for the last two, and I had to fight for several years to get my GP practice to test my Free T3/T4 but it’s always worth asking.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Heyup people,

Wonky thyroid here too, Hashimoto's. For me, it's just a bit of a no-brainer. I take my 137,5 micrograms of thyroxine in the morning and that's it. It takes a while to get to the right dosage, as it's not an exact science, but it's not about to make you drop dead or anything, so you've got time. Your body just needs a little bit extra. I used to need 175 micrograms, but with the weight loss, my daily requirement went down too. And yeah... Get a full blood panel, because one test doesn't show everything you need to know. (And always get your testresults!!!)

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Stevieepx
I have had Hashimoto thyroid for about 10 years and T2 since 2015. Have been taking as much as 125mcg of thyroxine. When diagnosed with T2 I lost 5 stone (as signature) and I now take 50mcg of thyroxine plus 3/4 tablet of T3. I paid for a private blood test with Blue Horizon which showed that I do not convert T4 to T3 so need the Liothyronine (T3) tablets which I have to purchase for myself as NHS will not prescribe as it is too expensive through them. Had my latest blood test yesterday and the results are - TSH 0.76 T4 12.7, T3 5.8. T4 could be little on the low side but all in all I am happy with those results.

Congratulations on the A1C result.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dodgy thyroid here as well.

If you have symptoms of hypothyroidism and you think treatment is justified, the best way of achieving that is to get a blood test showing a TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) as high as possible.

TSH has a circadian rhythm. It is at its highest during the night and at its lowest in the afternoon. Since blood tests for thyroid are usually done during surgery hours rather than when the patient wants them done your best bet is to arrange an appointment first thing in the morning, say about 7.30am - 8.30am. There are still no guarantees your TSH will be considered high enough for treatment though, particularly if you live in the UK which has probably the most sadistic diagnostic and treatment guidelines in the world.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another hypothyroid here and my thyroid took about 30 years to make up its mind whether it was under active or borderline hence why I had a lot of the symptoms but no treatment until formal diagnosis 7 years ago - I’m now on 50mg of Levothyroxine daily.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi @Stevieepx, my daughter was just 7 years old when diagnosed with borderline thyroid. Our GP said it may develop further when she reached her teens, she is 18 now and she appears to be okay, but It's always in the back of my mind. I have type 1 and thankfully, my daughter doesn't have diabetes.
Take care and wishing you all the best.