A Corner Turned

84green

Hi all

Diagnosed with coronary artery disease in January “minimal” and “mild” narrowings is some arteries. Prescribed statin, aspirin and lifestyle changes. Diagnosed Type 2 in 2016, 2000mg metformin per day. Overdue, but definitely time for action.

Coincidentally, had an HbA1c on 4 February - 56 mmol/mol - slightly up from previous and DN talking about more meds. I asked her to give me 10 weeks as I was going to do the Newcastle Diet (which she’d never heard of!).

Anyway, stuck to the 600cal per day for six weeks, then moved to a low carb (50g per day) Mediterranean diet. Also upped my exercise regime (running and bike). Been testing regularly at home and getting FBG’s in 5 - 6 range and no post prandial increases above 2. But apprehensive as I understand this doesn’t always equate to HbA1c.

Anyway, HbA1c on Wednesday = 38. Felt quite emotional! Look forward to giving the DN my copy of Professor Taylor’s book.

I’ve also lost four stones (19% of body weight) and blood pressure now regularly in normal range - 113/65 this am.

I know this is just a corner turned and the hard work of sustaining this into remission lies ahead. But unlike when I started, I know what works and what I need to do. I will do it.

Thank you to everyone here for tips, links, support and advice. Still learning.

Best wishes

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done, keep up the good works and great to see you trying to educate your nurse :)

Reactions: 84green

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Diagnosed with coronary artery disease in January “minimal” and “mild” narrowings is some arteries. Prescribed statin, aspirin and lifestyle changes. Diagnosed Type 2 in 2016, 2000mg metformin per day. Overdue, but definitely time for action.

Coincidentally, had an HbA1c on 4 February - 56 mmol/mol - slightly up from previous and DN talking about more meds. I asked her to give me 10 weeks as I was going to do the Newcastle Diet (which she’d never heard of!).

Anyway, stuck to the 600cal per day for six weeks, then moved to a low carb (50g per day) Mediterranean diet. Also upped my exercise regime (running and bike). Been testing regularly at home and getting FBG’s in 5 - 6 range and no post prandial increases above 2. But apprehensive as I understand this doesn’t always equate to HbA1c.

Anyway, HbA1c on Wednesday = 38. Felt quite emotional! Look forward to giving the DN my copy of Professor Taylor’s book.

I’ve also lost four stones (19% of body weight) and blood pressure now regularly in normal range - 113/65 this am.

I know this is just a corner turned and the hard work of sustaining this into remission lies ahead. But unlike when I started, I know what works and what I need to do. I will do it.

Thank you to everyone here for tips, links, support and advice. Still learning.

Best wishes
Brilliant story of how to turn a problem into a success story. Definitely a star learner and likely to go from strength to strength.

Reactions: 84green