A FEW QUESTIONS

mrsshop

Hi Im type 2 diabetic. Should I get a blood gloucose monitor, as reading the boards some say yes others say type 2 don't need to if on metformin.

Also if you are type 2 do you get hypos.

Still trying to get my head around what I can and cant eat, finding it quite difficult if honest.

Thanking you all that reply in advance.

K

Kat100

Hi not sure I can help a lot but as a few months into being a t2 symptoms were there before then though...I don't get to test I to am taking metformin my health practice don't support testing....
I have regular hba1c tests trying to bring levels down...
I believe I get a type of hypi as my levels on average have been lower on the last few blood tests...I have foggy confused and sweating moments...,my thoughts and words can also get muddled....
I eat a digestive biscuit and lots of fruit...
Have just started to have the odd bit of 70 per cent chocolate..... And I have started to cook with sweet freedom and other sweeteners......
I do but chocolate bars and a bag of sweets from holland and Barrett some people don't but that's my choice and I feel it helps me with all he changes at the moment...
Lots to think abt hope I have helped a bit...best wishes to you...

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Mrsshop :)

I would strongly recommend a blood glucose monitor, It is the only tool that helps and guides your control of diabetes.
You will soon get your head round things once you get used to the bg meter.
You will also get lots of help on this forum.
It is so easy to say its easy, but you need a little time,
So do take all the time you need.
The nhs are a bit mean with regard to giving out meter and test strips,(I would ask them first)
I got mine from amazon, it was cheap and does the job.

You will soon get some information with regard to hypos, however I would say yes to your question about hypos.

Hope all works out sooner than you think.

Roy, :)

K

Kat100

That should read easier for you.....:)
We all seem to get a mixed lot of health advice it's not easy at all....but I hope it gets easier for you..kat100

Maitland

Mrs Shop. I would certainly recommend a blood monitor but ask at your GP's practice first to see if they are willing to prescribe one along with test strips. If not then as I said I would recommend you get one as you can "eat to your meter".

Consider a low carb diet as Carbohydrates will elevate your blood sugars. Have a good look through this site, you will find a raft of information on recipes, what you can and can't eat and whether you can suffer from a hypo while on medication.

Best of Luck

Maitland

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
hello.i am type 2 & on metformin in answer to your question you can get a hypo on metformin.
I would buy a meter if your surgery will not give you one they did not give me one bought my own and my readings were up in the 20s. over a year later dn said do you have a meter i said yes bought one she said they wanted all diabetics on the same one so got a new one which i am still useing hope this helps

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Although you can have hypos with Metformin it is highly unlikely unless you starve yourself of carbs, leave a big gap between meals and are pre-disposed to have them anyway. So, possible but unlikely.

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 2 and after years of not testing, and relying on the annual HbA1c as per docs say so, I highly recommend that every one should be using a monitor. I would of spotted the rise in my BS earlier than I did at the beginning of the year, and the rise again in my BS this week.

They say if you are type 2 and on metformin you should not get hypos or unlikely to get them, though there are people who are reporting hypos or lows on here.

If like me you are on metformin and other medication like gliclazide its very possible to have a hypo, I have had a few occasions when my BS has dipped below 4.0.

You are not alone in finding it hard what you can and can't eat, I have been diabetic for 13 years and this tear has been a hard lesson in relearning what I can and can not eat and even when to eat as since Jan my meds have been changed and today they have been changed again as numbers are climbing again.

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
Furthermore, whilst the DVLA requires you to check BG before driving if you are on an insulin-stimulating drug like Gliclazide (which can definitely cause hypos if you don't manage your carb intake and exercise), they don't require this if you are just on Metformin because there is no serious risk of hypos with it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

EFL 43

I live in Australia. I think insulin can cause Hypo's not Metformin. When I was on insulin I had to test and record in my record book my levels 7 times a day. Before breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then 2 hours after each meal and at bedtime. Now I have been told I only have to check my levels occasionally now that I have improved to the point that I am only on Metformin. The standard practice when diagnosed is to have your feet and eyes checked and see a dietitian. 8)