A first for everything!

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's been almost 5 years since I first started pumping and after making a post on here questioning if I had an infection from a cannula site I decided to brave it and just go to the doctors and not to my surprise really I've got an infection! I suppose you never can be too careful, I have the same insertion and removal routine but for whatever reason, this one got infected, not too bad thankfully. Just a small red area that was painful and had a lump underneath. Definitely going to avoid the area for a bit

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Nicola M Were you given antibiotics for this and did it have a lasting effect on your BG levels ?

I've had a few red and very sore sites with lumps from cannula sets now, although it hasn't impacted my levels so haven't questioned it further, but curious to see what impact it's had on you.

Might be worth using a sterile wipe on the area first ?

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Juicyj only been given them today but will update you in a few days to see if it has any effect on me. I worked out I must have done around 500+ site changes over the years and this is the first problem I’ve ever had!

Reactions: porl69

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Juicyj its been a few days, haven’t seen any noticeable differences in my blood sugars from the antibiotics. Since I removed the bad cannula they’ve gone straight back to normal. I suppose like a mother with their child a diabetic knows when something is wrong !

Reactions: Tophat1900

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Nicola M I always remove cannulas if I get any pain, I suppose it's my bodies way of saying this isn't right, get me out ! I have had the odd one which has sent my into high teens so that's the other way I know i've got a bad site so to change asap. It's unlucky but it's rare, has your lump gone now ?

Sadjers

Hi, I have been using the Omnipod for around 3 months. In that time I have had a couple of sore canula sites and noticed an inflamed lump when I removed the pod.
The pump only lasts three days and in that time I cannoth inspect the canula injection site. I also feel guilty about changing site and that I should put up with a little pain as I would have scrap the pod to move it.
So far no major problems and the pain and swelling pass within a couple of days.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The area isnt angry red anymore, still a slight small lump but I’m hoping that with time it’ll just go on it’s own as it has already decreased in size @Juicyj

Reactions: porl69