A little disappointed…

c4bubbles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I had my first HbA1c result back today after being officially diagnosed with T2 a little over three months ago.
Initial number was a rather scary 110 mmol.m/mol. I asked my doctor to let me have a go at improving my numbers without medication and he was fine with that although I know he wants me to have a go with metformin (I’d rather not take medication if at all possible).
After three months of eating carefully and thoughtfully and moderately low carb (normally no more than 50g per day), my number came back today at 82 mmol/mol.
And while I know that it’s progress and things are moving in the right direction, I was hoping for a considerably lower number.
I’ve only recently started testing and my daily numbers aren’t great.
I intermittent fast and I’m careful about what I eat but I’ve not been able to get my numbers down into single figures.
I’m no longer overweight and food, which used to be a thing of joy has become a chore. I get absolutely no joy from eating anymore. I’m not someone who enjoys cooking and experimenting/ playing around with recipes.
I struggle with restriction, so zero carbs is not for me, and I’m trying to find a way to make eating with diabetes bearable.
Frustrated doesn’t even begin to cover what I’m feeling.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I struggle with restriction, so zero carbs is not for me, and I’m trying to find a way to make eating with diabetes bearable.
Any long time change in habits need to be sustainable, or it won't work and make you miserable as well.
So maybe for you the answer lies in getting help from medication. Of course it's wonderful if you can do without, but not if it makes you completely miserable!
food, which used to be a thing of joy has become a chore. I get absolutely no joy from eating anymore. I’m not someone who enjoys cooking and experimenting/ playing around with recipes.
You used to bake cupcakes. :hungry:
Have you had a look at low carb baking? That could maybe help with the sweet tooth, and with finding joy in food again. There are lots of recipes on the internet. Last year I visited the UK and I went to a place in Frinton (Keto Bite UK) where I could eat everything they had without worrying about my diabetes!
I had a pizza, and some cake and bread to take with me on the ferry back home, and this is what their cake section looks like. I really wish this place was closer to me.

1689782680094.png

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I’ve always liked meat.. so I’ve gone pretty much carnivore

The great thing with the carnivore diet is you can eat as much as you want.. I eat about 1kg meat a day I never feel hungry in between and most craving have gone away.. what more my BG control is great

I slip out of carnivore mode occasionally just because I miss some of my old favourites but so long as it’s only for a day it 2 my bg control stays great

I don’t need to experiment much as meat is meat and nothing else added

But this is a very restrictive diet and so not for everyone

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As others said, it takes time so don't underestimate your drop from 110 to 82, that is a good start.

I found the way to manage long-term low carb was to think about the high carb food I liked and to find substitutes, also to celebrate the things I can now eat that used to be on my naughty list - double cream, cheese, full fat yogurt, etc, plus the excuse to eat a few fresh raspberries every day.
I eat a wider range of lower carb veg instead of ordinary root veg, such as kolhrabi (mashed with cauliflower or part boiled then roasted) and mooli.

If I want something sweet and my home help isn't around to assist with making a low carb cake I make a keto mug cake - simple and fewer dishes to wash.
And my nightly treat is a couple of squares of 85% chocolate - having weaned myself off milk chocolate.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a bone idle cook, and I love good food. So whatever I make has to be easy and delicious as well as very low carb. We have some really good sections on the Board about recipes and "what have you eaten today" with loads of ideas and even photos. Have a good read through and come back with your questions. Tell us what you like to eat and more importantly, what you don't, and we can help with diabetic-friendly versions that aren't expensive or hard work.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't dismiss a 30 point drop in your A1c. That is a huge reduction. However you choose to live and eat to keep your levels down has got to be sustainable long-term, so there's nothing wrong with steady progress in the right direction.

Keep it going!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I had my first HbA1c result back today after being officially diagnosed with T2 a little over three months ago.
Initial number was a rather scary 110 mmol.m/mol. I asked my doctor to let me have a go at improving my numbers without medication and he was fine with that although I know he wants me to have a go with metformin (I’d rather not take medication if at all possible).
After three months of eating carefully and thoughtfully and moderately low carb (normally no more than 50g per day), my number came back today at 82 mmol/mol.
And while I know that it’s progress and things are moving in the right direction, I was hoping for a considerably lower number.
I intermittent fast and I’m careful about what I eat but I’ve not been able to get my numbers down into single figures.
I’m no longer overweight and food, which used to be a thing of joy has become a chore. I get absolutely no joy from eating anymore. I’m not someone who enjoys cooking and experimenting/ playing around with recipes.
Thank you in advance x
A reduction of 30 mmol/mol is pretty darned impressive, and worth a pat on the back. it may not be what you hoped for, but it does mean you're on the right track. I think the main thing now is, to make it sustainable for you, by finding things you enjoy to eat, which are also good for you. Might not be easy, but it's a long haul, this.... So better make it enjoyable.

You can do this, I'm positive. (And @Antje77 , when are we moving to the UK?)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I look at it this way. If your previous way of eating was keeping your sugar levels high, then to continue that path will lead you down the NHS Progression road to insulin therapy some time in the future. It has an air of inevitabitilty about it.

You have the chance now to take back control of your life and avoid those complications that Panorama so clearly highlighted in their program on diabetes, and as another thread here discussed "it doesn't have to end that way". Its your choice.

My choice as a T2D of over 30 years standing and who also had an HbA1c over 100 a few years ago is to use some medication to allow me some choice over my diet and reducing the restrictions that I need to go medication-less. So I now eat a fairly careful but somewhat carby LCHF that suits me. I can eat pototoes and toast most days, I can have the occasional M&S Pecan Slice. I can blow out at Xmas, Easter, Birthdays and other occasions without being made to feel guilty. My HbA1c's since going Low Carb has been less than 48 for 8 years now and I do not feel the need to go much lower.

Tough Love, but its over to you now to determine where you want to be in a couple of years time.

mick808

Thank you in advance x
Dont see the point if dieting is making life intolerable. I thought the same as you firstly but soon came to realize metformin cuts you a bit of slack.

bushyiii

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

The great thing with the carnivore diet is you can eat as much as you want.. I eat about 1kg meat a day I never feel hungry in between and most craving have gone away.. what more my BG control is great

I slip out of carnivore mode occasionally just because I miss some of my old favourites but so long as it’s only for a day it 2 my bg control stays great

Have you been checking your blood work for changes to lipoproteins ApoB and Apo(a)

oddbunny71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Newbie here. Can I ask how this works with cholesterol levels?

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
Well done you on such a rapid reduction in no time at all and interestingly this post is all about numbers and food and whilst you are going in the right direction may i advise one simple thing that i believe will help?

Go for a walk...

Even if its only for 20 minutes round the block after eating....

Walking is under rated and the diabetics friend.

With me if i have carbs and insulin sloshing about and go for a walk my levels drop faster after a walk and whilst i'm type 1 the principal is just the same with you.

Its worth a try.

I wish you well.

Tony

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is so impressive and well done for reducing your hba1c in such a short time, you should be really proud of yourself for getting on and doing something about it. :cool: When I was told I went away and thought it didn’t apply to me and carried on with my bad ways. But now as I get older I want to be fit and well. im not an adventurous cook so I go to YouTube and channels like ketofocus, all day I dream about food (catchy title!) and heavenly fan have done all the work and I just follow. Keep it up you’re doing great!:)

Reactions: c4bubbles