A little lost soul, trying to process it all.

wizzywig11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello so new to Type 2. Yet to have a full appointment with gp/nurse about condition. Received phone call last wk (thurs) bloods came back at 99 above the average ideal of 48 or lower.
Metformin prescription to be collected Tuesday. Nurse said one week take one pill, second week take morn and nigh, third week morn, noon, night and fourth week take 2 in the morn two in the eve and maintain a 4 per day ratio.
Does this sound correct is it normal to increase to 4 per day, should I be worried?
Talks about meal replacement plan for 3 months too. (I’m fully on board with this)
Medical history aside from this, hypothyroid/Hashimoto (hereditary on father side) Managed well. I take daily vitamins too, vit a, vit c, probiotic, vit d, zinc, folic acid and daily allergy antihistamine.
Hypothyroid hasn’t caused major weight gain, if anything I’m just static. Give or take a few pounds here and there.
I actually asked for the bloods for Hba1c as it’s in my family and I kind of thought I’d be susceptible.
it’s kicked my butt into gear and I’m totally up for trying to put it in remission.
but I’m just lost with what’s next, is the metformin increase a worry and what should I be asking the GP/Nurse.
Thankyou

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @wizzywig11 and welcome to the forums.

I'm T1 but hopefully I can still give you some help while you wait for some T2s to post.

The metformin 4 a day is the "full" dose if metformin, possibly because your hba1c is a little on the high side. It's normal to increase the dose gradually as some people get unpleasant gastro side effects. It's often the first line T2 treatment. And you don't have to stay on metformin forever if you manage to normalise your blood sugars by other means.

I'll give you a link to a very helpful blog about T2 and low carb from one of our T2 posters

I actually asked for the bloods for Hba1c as it’s in my family and I kind of thought I’d be susceptible.
Is this T1 or T2 (or a different type of diabetes)?

Once more welcome

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Did they talk to you about cutting carbs? For me that was the best way forward and it worked very well. My HbA1c dropped very fast as I started as soon as I was diagnosed. Some people take longer. Some tolerate fewer carbs than me.

Not all GPs/nurses are up to date on this but if you want to try it remember all carbs turn into sugars, brown bread has almost the same carbs as white, and the Eatwell plate is not the best diet for T2s as it has too many carbs for most of us to cope with.
See links in my signature for more information.

If you prefer the medication route then yes, increasing the metformin dose is common but it should take account of your initial HbA1c and following tests You might want to check posts in here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/diabetes-medication-and-drugs.26/

Reactions: Outlier

niblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There seems to be some difference in prescribing for this - I was diagnosed at 106 and initially went onto 1 metformin per day for 2 weeks, then after that moved to 2 per day - which is what I'm still on.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Does this sound correct is it normal to increase to 4 per day, should I be worried?
Yes it's very normal to gradually increase the Metformin dose over a period of time.
The reason is the possible gastric side effects that Metformin can cause for some people, gradually increasing the dose gives your body chance to get used to the drug and hopefully avoids or reduces any problems.

wizzywig11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Once more welcome

Hello this is for type 2 my blood hba1c result was 98. Nurse was pretty nice said it wasnt one of the highest she had seen but to start metformin asap to get it heading in the right direction downward.

wizzywig11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it's very normal to gradually increase the Metformin dose over a period of time.
The reason is the possible gastric side effects that Metformin can cause for some people, gradually increasing the dose gives your body chance to get used to the drug and hopefully avoids or reduces any problems.
Ahh i understand, thank you for your reply and the link ill take a look :D

wizzywig11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There seems to be some difference in prescribing for this - I was diagnosed at 106 and initially went onto 1 metformin per day for 2 weeks, then after that moved to 2 per day - which is what I'm still on.
Ah thankyou my initial number was 98, so im hoping to get it moving in the right direction.

wizzywig11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did they talk to you about cutting carbs? For me that was the best way forward and it worked very well. My HbA1c dropped very fast as I started as soon as I was diagnosed. Some people take longer. Some tolerate fewer carbs than me.

Not all GPs/nurses are up to date on this but if you want to try it remember all carbs turn into sugars, brown bread has almost the same carbs as white, and the Eatwell plate is not the best diet for T2s as it has too many carbs for most of us to cope with.
See links in my signature for more information.

If you prefer the medication route then yes, increasing the metformin dose is common but it should take account of your initial HbA1c and following tests You might want to check posts in here:
No nothing about changing anything at the moment except the prescribing of the Metformin. I have a face to face appointment booked in a few weeks time the nure said she will go through 'it all' then, take measurements, blood pressure etc. Thank you ill have a look at the link along with the others, other people have posted. I think im just over whelmed but want to tackle it as best i can, if that means with the help of medicines then i guess ill give it a good go. :)

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
<snip>
I think im just over whelmed but want to tackle it as best i can, if that means with the help of medicines then i guess ill give it a good go. :)
I think nearly everyone finds it a somewhat overwhelming diagnosis.

Reactions: wizzywig11

Christafur

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My HBA1C was 90 and I managed to get it down to 56 in ten weeks, I just really reduced my carb intake and lived on salads and chicken (not fun, but needs must) I find now I can eat a little (and I mean a little) of what I fancy. For example I had a few chips from McDonald’s the other day and it didn’t really raise my glucose, but it is not something I would do everyday, or even every month! I am on 3 metformin a day, they wanted to put me on gliclazide as well but I didn’t want to take it unless the metformin didn’t work. The increase is normal I started on two a day (slow release) and it was gradually raised so please don’t worry about that. Best of luck to you, you got this!

niblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah thankyou my initial number was 98, so im hoping to get it moving in the right direction.
Mine dropped quickly once I'd moved to a low-carb diet - my follow-up hb1ac after 10 weeks was down to 53. I've another hb1ac blood test next week so am hoping it's dropped further.