A newbie.

Lillytan

Hi, I was diagnosed with T2 at the end of November so this is all very new to me.
One thing that has confused me is: I am not thirsty, nor do I need to pee more frequently, and I have no hunger at all.
I’ve noticed that I am feeling quite unwell though, kind of spacy, heavy head and just really lacking in energy. Today I hadn’t eaten until 1pm and had a sandwich and then a chocolate brownie (yes, I know I’m not being sensible) anyway, about an hour or so after eating I felt particularly unwell, with the aforementioned feelings…so am wondering is this due to hypoglycaemia or hyperglycaemia, and does anyone else get this after eating heavy carbs?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome @Lillytan .
Can you tell us a bit more about your diabetes. For example do you have T2, any medication? Do you have a meter to test your blood glucose levels?
It is likely that the heavy carbohydrates in the food you ate have raised your blood glucose too high , too quickly. I.e. hyperglycemia. I know when I used to eat high carb food, even those often described as ‘healthy’ such as wholemeal bread, pasta, rice, I would soon feel very sleepy. Unable to prevent myself from falling into a deep sleep. Most unpleasant, not a refreshing sort of sleep at all.
From what you have told us, it would appear that the carb content of your food is causing the symptoms you describe. Though, as I mentioned, some further info from you would enable others to have a better understanding.

Of course, being Christmas, there may not be too many members looking in tonight and tomorrow. So perhaps you could read the info for new members. Links in my signature. Also have a read around the forums.
Hope you feel better soon. Happy Christmas.

Reactions: jjraak and SaskiaKC

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was diagnosed with T2 at the end of November so this is all very new to me.
One thing that has confused me is: I am not thirsty, nor do I need to pee more frequently, and I have no hunger at all.
I’ve noticed that I am feeling quite unwell though, kind of spacy, heavy head and just really lacking in energy. Today I hadn’t eaten until 1pm and had a sandwich and then a chocolate brownie (yes, I know I’m not being sensible) anyway, about an hour or so after eating I felt particularly unwell, with the aforementioned feelings…so am wondering is this due to hypoglycaemia or hyperglycaemia, and does anyone else get this after eating heavy carbs?
I didn't have the classic "pee too much" either. Some people don't. I think some of what you're experiencing might be better understood if you were taking BG readings - for which you'd need a meter. I found in the early days that any substantial change to my BG was accompanied by feeling "off" - this included highs and lows. Worst event - in 2019, I had a relatively small amount of Xmas pudding and felt ill for two days, Just couldn't cope with the additional carbs. My system didn't/doesn't like change, even if the change is to a lower BG level. Once stabilized everything adjusts fairly smoothly.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that flour gives me indigestion these days - it isn't the carbs but the actual food I react to.
I make 'pastry' using flours other than wheat to avoid the problem.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello there and welcome

not all side effects happen. I did have the classic increased thirst and drinking and weight loss but that was towards the diagnosis point where my bloods were sky high. Prior to that though bad temper was my main symptom

Heavy carbs also always sent me to sleep, still do really, afternoons at work following a chip lunch was not fun

As to not being sensible, well following the usual diabetic advice you would probably have still had the sandwich and still had the carb hit. Lots of advice if the forums, ask away!

do you know your hba1c? What had the doctor recommended for now?

Reactions: jjraak