A question

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought I had everything under control as mornings were in the 6s in the last couple of weeks.
They seem to have shot up to the 8s lately. I have a creamy coffee then I take dogs out for an hour and it obligingly comes down to mid 6s again. Within an hour, and not eating, maybe a weak green tea, it goes up to the 8s again.

Anybody know why this happens? Maybe I should eat more? X

D

Deleted Account

Our BG readings are affected by many things, not just by what you eat. You may be stressed, you may be doing less exercise, your body may be fighting off a cold (and if it is successful, you may never get the cold), ...
I guess what I am saying is not to change anything because you see a change over a couple of days. Wait a week to so to see if it is a pattern.

Reactions: Prem51

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Our BG readings are affected by many things, not just by what you eat. You may be stressed, you may be doing less exercise, your body may be fighting off a cold (and if it is successful, you may never get the cold), ...
I guess what I am saying is not to change anything because you see a change over a couple of days. Wait a week to so to see if it is a pattern.

Okay thank you.
I'm not stressed though. Well only when I see my numbers creep up And I exercise every day. Brisk walk with my dogs and yoga/Pilates on other days. Occasionally HIIT. My part time job requires me to walk and stand so no sitting and really can't remember when I was last poorly. I also do 16/8 fasting some days. Determined if nothing else.
That's why I'm baffled. Oh well X

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My readings did exactly the same, a few months of steady numbers and then bouncing about all over for no apparent reason - I stuck to my way of eating and the higher numbers gradually reduced, so I just put if down to part of the process.

Reactions: Speedbird

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My readings did exactly the same, a few months of steady numbers and then bouncing about all over for no apparent reason - I stuck to my way of eating and the higher numbers gradually reduced, so I just put if down to part of the process.

Thank you for that Resurgam. I'm hoping it's just excess blood sugar I have somehow accumulated and the liver is happy dumping for now. I think a 5 day fast I am planning next week may help. X

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I thought I had everything under control as mornings were in the 6s in the last couple of weeks.
They seem to have shot up to the 8s lately. I have a creamy coffee then I take dogs out for an hour and it obligingly comes down to mid 6s again. Within an hour, and not eating, maybe a weak green tea, it goes up to the 8s again.

Anybody know why this happens? Maybe I should eat more? X

I concur with the above posts but I would just have a very small meal or snack before the brisk walk. It may only be a couple of spoonfuls of yoghurt. This will stop the liver dump during or after your exercise. Then another small meal/ snack afterward with your tea.

It's good you have a good control and discovering how your body is adapting to a new lifestyle. Fasting will help you when not exercising!

You have noticed a pattern and these can give you a clue how to achieve what and how you approach your condition.

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah I see. Thank you Lamont D. I am trying to hold off taking any meds too. So I will try your suggestion and see what happens. X

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ah I see. Thank you Lamont D. I am trying to hold off taking any meds too. So I will try your suggestion and see what happens. X

As is always said we are all different and some type two cannot fast, have liver dump, dawn phenomenon, have high insulin levels, high resistance, what works for some won't work for others. It is a question of trial and error and patterns of how you personally adapt to a low carb lifestyle. It is a balance of how low carb, higher protein and fat. And of course, portion size and how much exercise we require to be as healthy as we can!
That is why it is criminal why monitors are not provided for those that are educated enough to know why we need them for treatment.
Without your monitor, how would you know what is happening?