A salutory tale

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My brother-in-law died yesterday.
He was T1 who really didn't look after himself. His team of carers visited variously 6 times a day, in addition to my wife and, less often, me.
Both his legs were amputated 8 or 10 years ago since when he has been predominantly bed-bound.
He ate all the wrong things but reckoned tasty things were one of his few enjoyments.
His eyes were shot at and he had ballooned to about 18 stone.
He also had medically controlled mental health issues.

There's more to his story and yes, it's a sorry tale, BUT I want to say congratulations to everyone who is making such a huge effort to look after themselves, particularly T1s who in my mind, have a frightening, complicated time of it.
I also want to praise the support system so many people in this organisation offer.

I'm sending you all my encouragement because the alternative that I have just witnessed is not great.
xx

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
He was T1 who really didn't look after himself. His team of carers visited variously 6 times a day, in addition to my wife and, less often, me.
Both his legs were amputated 8 or 10 years ago since when he has been predominantly bed-bound.
He ate all the wrong things but reckoned tasty things were one of his few enjoyments.

There's more to his story and yes, it's a sorry tale, BUT I want to say congratulations to everyone who is making such a huge effort to look after themselves, particularly T1s who in my mind, have a frightening, complicated time of it.
I also want to praise the support system so many people in this organisation offer.

I'm sending you all my encouragement because the alternative that I have just witnessed is not great.
xx
Thank you for your true kindness and generosity of spirit at such a sad time.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Sorry to hear that, my thoughts and prayers are with you and the rest of his family.

Your sad tale could very easily be my father. Always a very thin man but gained weight after type II diagnosis. Very lucky to have only lost a toe, it could so easily have been more, but now left with poor circulation in the other leg because he refused to have a stent put in, while they put a stent in the leg to improve recovery after toe amputation.
His eye sight is totally shot and I suspect poor BG control is behind that problem which has been going on for years. His insistence that Muesli with honey is a healthy breakfast and that the supply of three huge bars of Cadbury's Fruit and Nut in the fridge, kept topped up by someone, really is in case of having a hypo, is frustrating to say the least. How he's got to 91 is a miracle.

Reactions: kitedoc

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

xx

I am very sorry, and you and your family have my deepest condolences.

This is a dreadful demanding condition, but the consequences of neglecting or mismanaging it are worse.

Reactions: kitedoc

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Jo_the_boat very sorry to hear of the sad death of your brother-in-law.

Poorly controlled diabetes can cause such damage, and it is very hard to manage it for as many years as people have to.

I hope you'll forgive me for making a slightly political point here, but as new technology appears that helps people manage their blood sugars better, sad cases like this are a useful reminder that the biggest cost of diabetes is complications, not the cost of medication, or the devices, that reduce those complications.

Those complications have a devastating effect on people's health. mental well being, and quality of life.

I wish you success in looking after your own diabetes.

Reactions: gemma_T1

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....

xx

I am so desperately sorry for your loss but congratulate you for your bravery in posting your kind words.

Good luck Sir

Tony

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry to hear your news @Jo_the_boat

It's the wider impact of this on those around you which seems so poignant to me and that's what keeps me on track, as I never want to be a burden to anyone with my condition.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Jo_the_boat,
Condolences for such a loss. We can know what is best or better for us but not always take those roads.
Your sentiment is gratefully and gladly accepted with thanks from the Southern Hemisphere and that strange place called Australia (Oz for short). Beauty bottler mate !!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jo I am very sorry for your loss, it must so upsetting for your wife. It is Indeed what can happen to any diabetic without the knowledge, conviction and a lot of resolve to live differently. It is never easy but none of what you wrote is worth risking.
I too salute the forum members who are just making such a difference to me in my journey.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Such a sad and tragic post to read, my heart goes out to the family and I hope in time the pain will ease with happier memories of your BIL, RIP.
Take care

Reactions: Fairygodmother

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for sharing at this sad time. For me your story highlights the extra problems people with mental health issues have. It's hard to focus on your physical well being as well as your mental well being.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jo_the_boat - I'm so sorry to hear your news. Any loss is a body blow, but one where given time again things could have been different must cut particularly keen. Your wife must be bereft.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.

xx

This is very sad Jo, hugs to your family, your wife and all of you who are laffected by the loss.
Thank you for too, for supporting and understanding the complicated lives that we T1s have in trying to stay healthy

Reactions: Robinredbreast

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you for you post @Jo_the_boat. In a time of such sadness.

It saddens me when patients are given the wrong encouragement to manage their disease. It won't be all down to his unsettled mind. Maybe if he was newly diagnosed today most could be prevented, maybe.
I'd put it down to him being born too soon. However hopefully his suffering will be remembered so medics know how easily it can go wrong. It's not a perfect world.
Will it ever be?

Keep up your good work and please look after yourself and Mrs @Jo_the_boat. I remember how my perspective of life altered in grief.
Keep on the right path, you will do good mate.

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1

xx
Thanks very much for sharing that salutary tale, it's amazing how some people feel that eating the won't things is the only way to make life worth living. Most of us know that is complete tosh and enjoy our lives, injections and by testing is just part of it. Sorry for your loss but I imagine it wasn't a surprise