A Small Victory

colsal

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. Just a little background first. I was diagnosed with diabetes about 5 weeks ago. My GP at first told me I was a definite type 2 and started me straight away on meteor in. After a few days my BG was still very high ( around the low 20's) so he referred me straight away to my nearest diabetes clinic. The nurse explained a bit about diabetes and in her opinion with my symptoms and weight she felt I might be more of a T1.5 took blood samples and then the 5 week wait for my results and kept me on the metformin. Aft about 3 weeks and my BG still in the mid to high teens I went back to the nurse and she started me on a basal dose Of lantus. Results of this were good BG levels in the morning but as the day progressed they would creep up to the mid teens again. Finally last Friday my blood results came back and confirmed T 1.5. The nurse started me on novo rapid. So here's where the small victory comes in. Today is the first day since my diagnosis that my BG has been good all day. 5.6 in the morning, 5.8 in the afternoon and 5.6 in the evening. I know it is early days but after the last 5 weeks it feels great to have a small victory and for the first time I feel I might be able to manage this insulin and have some form of control back.
I just feel great today and had to share this with some people that will understand how it feels to have this little success.

Reactions: 14 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. You have been treated well by the NHS which is good to hear; so often they don't recognise T1.5. I had to fight for my insulin. Insulin can give very good control. Keeping the carbs down can help minimise blood sugar swings and if you aren't yet counting the carbs for each meal and adjusting the NovoRapid your nurse should guide you soon or ask her.

colsal

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
HI Daibell. I'm in Ireland so it's even stranger that the HSE has been so efficient. I cant complain about the treatment I have got so far the Nurse has been great and is at the end of the phone if I need her for anything.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Love the attitude, you will do well