A thread for those with or suspecting Covid-19 - no doom mongering allowed

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well as I headed to bed last night I was seriously starting to wonder if despite my extreme care for weeks I have got it. For the last couple of days my chest felt tight but came and went - mostly went. I put it down to stress and anxiety as I’ve felt this way before and I’m certainly stressed. There was no cough and no fever

Over the course of last night I cleared my throat a bit more than usual and had the odd cough. Not continuous or extreme in normal circumstances I wouldn’t even call it a cough. Maybe a tickle occasionally. My chest and throat felt like I’ve done a hard run in very cold air.

This morning much the same. No fever, the odd tickle but an even tighter chest with a slight burning feeling. 3/4 family members reporting an odd feeling in their chests too. We’re all at home.

As this isnt typical presentation and as a type 2 I’m trying to decide whether to call 111 as the online version isn’t helping much.

Last edited:

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unless you get into distress with your symptoms the guidance is not to call 111. Fundamentally you dont need help even if you have it unless you have symptoms that progress, they will just tell you to self isolate for a week (or two if you dont live alone) and call if you have trouble.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unless you get into distress with your symptoms the guidance is not to call 111. Fundamentally you dont need help even if you have it unless you have symptoms that progress, they will just tell you to self isolate for a week (or two if you dont live alone) and call if you have trouble.
Yep that’s why I haven’t called yet, but I’ve also read that breathing issues are a later more complicated symptom and I fully accept I might be panicking just a tad here. What is “distress”? Means very different things to different people

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Yep that’s why I haven’t called yet, but I’ve also read that breathing issues are a later more complicated symptom and I fully accept I might be panicking just a tad here. What is “distress”? Means very different things to different people
I have read that it is when you are having difficulty speaking.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so I’ve talked myself back down and now will sit it out patiently - well as much as I’m (in)capable of patiently at anything.
I’ve also admitted to myself this is a cough now. Otherwise feeling fine

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jaylee thanks. I’m not looking for diagnosis. Just sharing and maybe seeking opinions. The “difficulty talking” one helped. I’ve seen that article. And another that says it’s like waking up having smoked 20 cigs the night before that I concur with (or how I assume it would feel anyway). I’ve read a lot :rolleyes:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee thanks. I’m not looking for diagnosis. Just sharing and maybe seeking opinions. The “difficulty talking” one helped. I’ve seen that article. And another that says it’s like waking up having smoked 20 cigs the night before that I concur with (or how I assume it would feel anyway). I’ve read a lot :rolleyes:

Hey! "diagnosis?" It was more "in house" humour to lighten up the load. :)

The NHS advice on symptoms is pretty straight forward. for what they are.
But I appreciate it's of very little comfort wth this "new one."
I've had similar "seasonal" symptoms like this since I was a kid..
& developed a lurgey two weeks ago which I'm now over, leaving me with a bit of a cough...

Support, proactivness & empathy..

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was more "in house" humour to lighten up the load. :)
Sorry missed that.

Sense of humour having to be dragged out into the light of day kicking and screaming today. But I will get it out somehow.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@HSSS . Only my take on it.
If you’re well enough to be ar**d to log onto the forum and ask for advice then you’re most likely not at the stage where you need urgent medical assistance for covid19.
Calm down, chill out.:)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you’re well enough to be ar**d to log onto the forum and ask for advice then you’re most likely not at the stage where you need urgent medical assistance for covid19.
I have, somewhat and attempting to remain chillier. But see how calm you feel when you decide have symptoms though?

It was also about the fact it was not typical presentation (no fever and virtually no cough earlier) and if we should isolate rather than wanting to request urgent assistance which I have never thought I needed. We are self employed and have no income otherwise. If needs must then so be it, just didn’t want to be unnecessarily jumping the gun.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have, somewhat and attempting to remain chillier. But see how calm you feel when you decide have symptoms though?

It was also about the fact it was not typical presentation (no fever and virtually no cough earlier) and if we should isolate rather than wanting to request urgent assistance which I have never thought I needed. We are self employed and have no income otherwise. If needs must then so be it, just didn’t want to be unnecessarily jumping the gun.
Apologies. I was trying to put your mind at ease slightly.
Call 111.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies. I was trying to put your mind at ease slightly.
Call 111.
I got that. No need to apologise. Perhaps I should instead. I realise I’m probably a bit prickly and short at the moment.
I’m watching waiting for now. We’re all home alone til Monday anyway so time to make decisions calmly.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
have you ever had or seen an asthma attack? the first few minutes of one of those is considered a distressed level, when further help may be needed if the inhaler doesnt work. So trouble breathing, gasping, wheezing, feel like your chest cant expand properly, pain in your chest or the back of your throat.

hugs xxxx

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
there is a big gap between "I dont feel right, what do I look for" and needing an ambulance.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
have you ever had or seen an asthma attack? the first few minutes of one of those is considered a distressed level, when further help may be needed if the inhaler doesnt work. So trouble breathing, gasping, wheezing, feel like your chest cant expand properly, pain in your chest or the back of your throat.

hugs xxxx

eta: I have had pneumonia three times and am describing the feelings I had, and what the nurse said to look for when deciding if I needed intervention.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a lurgy for about 4 weeks now. It started with a tight chest and some slight huffing and puffing when on my brisk walks, but nothing that made me need to stop walking and no difficulty breathing. It then became a sniffly cold, runny nose, sneezing. The cold went but left me with a cough. I still have the cough and the tight chest - or at least, tighter than it was before this all started but no difficulty breathing. I have been taking my temperature daily - always around 36.4 in both ears. Blood glucose in my normal range. Blood pressure normal. Pulse - erratic arrhythmia as is normal for me.

I understand where you are coming from because initially, although I knew I did not have the virus, I was concerned that whatever I did have might compromise me should I get the virus. I spoke to the GP on the telephone mainly to ask for some antibiotics. I told him I wanted rid of it in case I caught the virus. Of course, he refused the antibiotics, told me my symptoms were typical of an upper respiratory tract infection that was on its way out but not to expect the cough to go any time soon as they do tend to linger.

I must add here that the cold symptoms have now returned!

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2 weeks ago I had high fever, cold chills and terrible respiratory pain - albeit no cough

And this was in Brighton ,where the disease was limited to at that point in time

They wouldn't test me because I hadn't been abroad in the past 3 months

But there's a test coming to see if you've ever had the disease in the past. I will certainly be buying it

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all. It’s good to hear from others also experiencing the “what is this?” Totally understandable why I can’t get tested but boy I wish I could.

I’m somewhat calmer tonight. Symptoms definitely still present but not significantly worse, other than a lot more tired than expected.