A1c Is Incredibly Misleading And Should Probably Not Be Used For Diagnosis ...

John201832

As the title says, A1C is incredibly misleading . My A1C was 5.4 on two occasions and recently dropped to 5.3 for no particular reason. Yet I have high fasting glucose from 5.6 to 5.9 mmol which is considered prediabetic . And I do not have anemia, abnormal hemoglobin or any other condition that would falsely decrease A1C. So confused and bizarre . Any doctor would look at my A1C and say I’m fine but my fasting glucose is abnormal .

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think they would as your fasting test is just a snap shot in a day, while your HbA1c is an integration of 3 to 5 weeks of blood glucose. Fasting values are interesting but post eating values are equally informative.

The difference in 0.1 of a 5.3 is probably neither here nor there, given the variability of the measurement system.

Reactions: novorapidboi26

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As the title says, A1C is incredibly misleading . My A1C was 5.4 on two occasions and recently dropped to 5.3 for no particular reason. Yet I have high fasting glucose from 5.6 to 5.9 mmol which is considered prediabetic . And I do not have anemia, abnormal hemoglobin or any other condition that would falsely decrease A1C. So confused and bizarre . Any doctor would look at my A1C and say I’m fine but my fasting glucose is abnormal .
An hba1c of 5.4 correlates to an average glucose of 6mmol/l. Seems consistent with your fasting glucose to me.
An A1c of 5.4 or 5.3 is basically the same.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you check your blood sugar at any other times of the day? The reason I ask is that level is often higher first thing in the morning compared to later in the day. Having said that using this converter:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html even with an average blood sugar of 5.9 it gives an HbA1c of 5.3% which is what you got and is classed non diabetic.

John201832

I don't think they would as your fasting test is just a snap shot in a day, while your HbA1c is an integration of 3 to 5 weeks of blood glucose. Fasting values are interesting but post eating values are equally informative.

The difference in 0.1 of a 5.3 is probably neither here nor there, given the variability of the measurement system.
Hankjam, I’ve done a number of “experiments” with certain very high carb meals to see what is the problem . One time I ate Chinese food and drank a large Pepsi . Total carb content was ridiculous at 275-300 grams . I went from about 90 mg/dL (5 mmol) before eating up to 8.3 mmol at 1 hour. By 2 hours and 10 minutes, I dropped to about 6.9 mmol and by about 3 hours, close to 5.5 mmol. I normally don’t eat like that and with more reasonable, healthier meals, I might go up to 6.9 mmol at 1 hour. So, overall, my postprandials aren’t that bad but my fasting definitely is despite my normal A1C.

John201832

And the high fastings are the morning readings . If I eat a meal in the morning and then test 8 hours later after not eating anything, my sugar drops to 4.7 mmol . The other readings are fasting too but not morning ones. Only the morning fasting is 5.6 to 5.9 mmol.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounding pretty sorted to me.
One thought, do you have any spare reserves that your liver might use to get a dump going to start your day?

John201832

Sounding pretty sorted to me.
One thought, do you have any spare reserves that your liver might use to get a dump going to start your day?
Hankjam, if by reserves you mean some weight to lose, then, yes, I still go. I am 32 years old male, 1.75 meters (average height), and weighed 93 kilograms in January. Since then, I’ve shed weight and am now about 80 kilograms . I am significantly leaner and much closer a healthy weight for my height - maybe need to lose another “stone” as you guys say before I’m no longer considered overweight. Maybe that is contributing to high fasting glucose , at least I hope so . Still over my weight and liver producing too much glucose .

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hankjam, if by reserves you mean some weight to lose, then, yes, I still go. I am 32 years old male, 1.75 meters (average height), and weighed 93 kilograms in January. Since then, I’ve shed weight and am now about 80 kilograms . I am significantly leaner and much closer a healthy weight for my height - maybe need to lose another “stone” as you guys say before I’m no longer considered overweight. Maybe that is contributing to high fasting glucose , at least I hope so . Still over my weight and liver producing too much glucose .

As you can see from my sig I kicked off at 52 and 95 kg....

Sounding not too much unlike myself, -30 years...... I'm now down to 70 kgs and I'm fine with that. My FBG tend to 5.2. Tried some fasting, missing lunch and this did move 3 kg off and had an amazing affect on my fastings, 4.5's though this does appear to be a response rather than permanent, now back to 5.0 - 5.2.
It's a long road.

John201832

As you can see from my sig I kicked off at 52 and 95 kg....

Sounding not too much unlike myself, -30 years...... I'm now down to 70 kgs and I'm fine with that. My FBG tend to 5.2. Tried some fasting, missing lunch and this did move 3 kg off and had an amazing affect on my fastings, 4.5's though this does appear to be a response rather than permanent, now back to 5.0 - 5.2.
It's a long road.
I just hope shedding the rest of the pounds will drop my fasting . Hoping it’s just because I’m still overweight and not because I’m headed towards diabetes . Only time will tell I guess .

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I clearly missed the signals my GP was hinting at... repeated Glucose testing, referred to a dietician, who said I should eat more fruit and then a nurse, who was going to tell me about my high levels of cholesterol told me I was a T2 with a HbA1c of 52. I had been feeling really out of sorts for the previous 4 months and most nights was up to visit the loo....

but I never made the connection and so it came to pass.

Glad to hear you're one step ahead.

I wish you well.