A1c test

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I dislike people who judge me for my weight i have lots of problems was born very premature which resulted in lots of health problems since i was little still affect me today.
Hi to all,

I am having an A1c test Monday evening
to see what my result is as asked for by the diabetes nurse she will phone me with the results a week later I am not looking forward to the test at all.

Sparklebrightisright.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello what in particular are you concerned about? is it the actual taking of the blood or the results of the test?

I am assuming you are a type 2- is that correct? Do you test regularly? If you do test regularly there should be no concern in relation to the results. I use the mysugr app which gives some prediction of my HbA1c. I find it keeps me accountable.

Let us know what in particular you are worried about.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I think if you are worried you are thinking it will be higher than you would like? It would be helpful to know if you are a type 1 or type 2.

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi to all,

I am having an A1c test Monday evening
to see what my result is as asked for by the diabetes nurse she will phone me with the results a week later I am not looking forward to the test at all.

Sparklebrightisright.
I used to dread my HbA1c's.... But they just kept getting better and better. You'll see the same thing happening, I'm sure.

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I dislike people who judge me for my weight i have lots of problems was born very premature which resulted in lots of health problems since i was little still affect me today.
Hi to all

Iam a type 2 diabetic finding it very hard to loose weight because diabetes nurse says i have to use insulin as my bs is not in range
But before I've lost weight just by cutting carbs so want to do this again but its not happening fast enough.
Hope my A1c is OK next week.

Sparklebright is right.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Very hard to lose weight while on insulin. Unfortunately it is common to gain weight when you first start insulin. Make sure that you are taking insulin to what you eat and not taking the insulin and then eating to fit the insulin you took. If you are eating to fit the insulin you took make sure to contact your diabetes team for an adjustment.

But if you are losing weight you are doing good!

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi to all,

I am loosing a bit of weight but its not enough I got down to 83.2 but now I am up to 84 not going the right way i can do better with no insulin i have been diabetic since 2005 and not had any support from NHS team until now last year i got down to 72 kg just by cutting out carbs and am doing the same now but its not comming of quick enough cus of high bs.

Sparklebright.

Reactions: lozzajane008

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
How long have you been a diabetic? I am only asking because you have said you are low carbing and it worked before but not working now and you are still low carbing and your blood sugars are higher.

Keep in mind insulin does make it more difficult to lose weight, but high blood sugars are bad for you so it can be needed. The thyroid can also play a part in making weight loss more difficult.

But I like to tell everyone that if you are doing everything right and it's not working, you could be a misdiagnosed type 1 instead. Changing your diet or medications will work at first for a type 1/LADA because you still make insulin for a while until you slowly don't. That process can take years. Commonly needing insulin within 3 years of diagnosis is a sign of possible type 1. So if your blood sugars keep rising and you are doing things right, you might ask for antibody and c-peptide test.