Abandoned to my fate

TMG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Chocolate
Was diagnosed as type 2 diabetes at Christmas, put on 500mg Metformin, twice a day. prior to diagnosis I had no symptoms at all so was completely blown away.

I was temporarily taken off the meds as I completely stopped sleeping, therefore unable to function in any capacity. the tests were re-run and I am now pre-diabetes @ 6 - 6.5 since I am such a boarderline case I am now on 1 x 500mg metformin per day with my main meal.

I have cut out sugar and lowered my carbs, started cooking instead of eating out the 3 - 4 times a week we were, cut out the vast majority of processed food and dropped a stone since Christmas. To me I have no choice because I have a needle phobia and would be unable to inject myself, should I not contain this issue.

My problem is that, wierdly I am sleeping but not getting a deep sleep, I am dreaming all night, easily disturbed and am now having to get up for the toilet during the night. All this disturbance to my sleep is killing me. I am also suffering blurred vision in the evening in one eye!?! (I had the lenses replaced in both eyes in November)

GP says desmonds will help - Can't get in for at least 3 months, the podiatrist - said they couldn't take me on as they were oversubscribed, and the retinal scan people have yet to contact me!! Is this total lack of support normal ??

Hellllllp! :(

Tracey

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Hi Tracey,

You've come to the right place for advice - IMO better than the professionals you are likely to encounter. I followed the official Diabetes UK diet advice & developed debilitating complications after 7-8 years. These complications have been fully reversed by low carb diet advice I received on this forum. 5 years on I am free from complications.

The good news is that properly managed, with appropriate changes in diet & lifestyle, you will be healthy for many years to come. At 74 I am free from diabetic symptoms & play tennis & table tennis at club standard.

We are experienced diabetics (in my case 12 years) who are in a position to advise - though not to diagnose, give specific medical advice, etc.

I am surprised that you were put on metformin immediately. The advice I had was to see how my blood glucose (BG) was affected by a change in diet & lifestyle. That way they can advise on your real condition & response cutting out sugar, & cutting down carbs, losing weight, etc.

Have you been given a meter, & advice on how & when to test? Medical practices are now discouraging self testing, simply for cost reasons. Informed testing puts YOU into control of your health. Hopefully you can get a free meter & test strips on prescription.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Its a good idea to be on Metformin straight away, and then low carb.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
GP says desmonds will help - Can't get in for at least 3 months, the podiatrist - said they couldn't take me on as they were oversubscribed, and the retinal scan people have yet to contact me!! Is this total lack of support normal ??

Go on a course if you can. I did a detailed report on the XPERT course.

Hopefully you will get an annual scan. 10 years ago I had early signs of retinopathy. My optician has just checked & says there is no sign now. I am constantly amazed at the benefits of the low carb diet. Don't listen to anyone, even dietitians, who warn you of the long term dangers of low carb. I have found NO dangers - but I did experience the dangers of the high carb DUK/NHS "healthy eating diet." 5 years ago I was suffering. Now I am well.