Type 2 Abdominal pain after starting insulin

Jadire

I started insulin a few months back and within the last month have suffered with severe abdominal pain. I saw a new GP at my doctors surgery last week who said it was not my IBS worsening it was down to my body adjusting to my insulin levels and regulating my blood sugars. My Diabetic Nurse says she’s not heard of it.

I do have NAFLD but a fibroscan a month ago showed my liver was stable. I’m used to having the pain on my right side but a few weeks ago it switched to my left side and now it’s on both sides. It’s not there all the time, usually comes on after eating and feels like I’m in labour.

I’m receiving conflicting advice here and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of pain?

Take care

Jayne

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I started insulin a few months back and within the last month have suffered with severe abdominal pain. I saw a new GP at my doctors surgery last week who said it was not my IBS worsening it was down to my body adjusting to my insulin levels and regulating my blood sugars. My Diabetic Nurse says she’s not heard of it.

I do have NAFLD but a fibroscan a month ago showed my liver was stable. I’m used to having the pain on my right side but a few weeks ago it switched to my left side and now it’s on both sides. It’s not there all the time, usually comes on after eating and feels like I’m in labour.

I’m receiving conflicting advice here and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of pain?

Take care

Jayne
Welcome Jayne. Have you checked your blood ketones? I have abdominal pain when my ketones are high, around 3 mmol/L. (Mine have been clearing now I'm on short-acting insulin. For the first few days I was only on long-acting and towards the end of the 12 hours my ketones started to build, but they cleared as soon as I had another injection.)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never come across anything that suggests insulin might cause abdominal pain but I'm not a medic. I suspect it may be something else and a coincidence. It needs investigation separate from you taking insulin?