About to have bi lateral total knee replacements

craftylady

Hi
I am 46 & have just managed to get blood out of a stone, or will have when I have both knees replaced in 2 to 3 weeks time
I'm not sure what/how my diabetes will behave & what to expect
Diagnosed feb 11, last bloods were 60 in new money, taking metformin total 2000 gliclazide total 320
I have asthma & each time I have been put on steroids my numbers go up as is often the case but never return to previous levels & have required more meds each time despite being careful with my diet
I am trying to get my numbers lower to reduce the risk of infection & aid healing but would be interested to hear of other peoples experience, managing their numbers etc during major surgery & post op

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
craftylady said:
Hi
I am 46 & have just managed to get blood out of a stone, or will have when I have both knees replaced in 2 to 3 weeks time
I'm not sure what/how my diabetes will behave & what to expect
Diagnosed feb 11, last bloods were 60 in new money, taking metformin total 2000 gliclazide total 320
I have asthma & each time I have been put on steroids my numbers go up as is often the case but never return to previous levels & have required more meds each time despite being careful with my diet
I am trying to get my numbers lower to reduce the risk of infection & aid healing but would be interested to hear of other peoples experience, managing their numbers etc during major surgery & post op

I wish you well with your forthcoming operation. 46 seems such a young age :eek:

I have had only one operation and that was a Ceasarian 11 years ago. I had to be put on a sliding scale, nil by mouth for days and my BS was around 15, so yes it did affect me. I'm sure someone else will be along with some help and advice. Take care and best wishes.

sallylondon

Hi craftylady,
I had my right knee replacement done in January 2011 aged 53. I found that my bloods were more controlled when I was in hospital and I put it down to a few things.
- I am shocking about remembering to drink as I never get thirsty. In hospital I made myself drink lots and it was always in front of me so that helped I think.
- Although I was in post-op discomfort the never-ending pain from my knee was over and I know that my life could get better. I knew I would be able to start walking and doing more. I think that reduced the constant exhaustion and stress that I felt pre-op which may have helped.
- I just was not hungry in hospital so I didn't eat as much as I would have done at home (therin lay a lesson! :oops: ). I also rejected the white bread, white rice, white pasta options before I even knew about low-carbs from here. What they provided for me as a diabetic was not suitable - when will hospitals provide the decent, healthy food that they say we should eat?? :crazy:

Some bits of advice that I found invaluable:
- get hold of the high toilet seat that you strap onto your toilet at home. Makes bending to get up and down on the toilet so much easier :lol:
- they never tell you that the anaesthetic will leave you with a weepy day. I sobbed my eyes out and was really worried about everything until a kind nurse told me it was normal ( a little like baby blues for your knees)
- take in ear plugs if you can use them
- sort out whether the hospital is providing your crutches or if you have to get them yourself and use them (no disgrace and it actually makes others a little more considerate when you get out and about)
- take in your medication in the original boxes and make sure you are given the right meds at the time you are used to rather than fitting in with their meds routine. Pleasant but persistant! You might not need the painkillers they give you but discuss the tablets and stress about your asthma in case they are contra-indicated.
- pre-cook and freeze some suitable meals for when you get home. Put a couple of loaves of Bergen in the freezer or stack some Ryvita in the cupboard (if you eat them), tins of tuna etc. etc.
-lay in some reading and other things you like to do and can do while sitting around (sort out photo albums, contact lost friends).
- make sure you see a suitable physiotherapist and do ALL of the exercises you are given to the best of your ability and at least as many as the minimum you are given. If you can afford private physio do that for an extra few weeks.
- work hard on getting your movement (bending the knees) as good as possible. Although they regard 90 degrees as functional the more you can bend it the better off you will be in the long run!
- Get some bio oil in for rubbing on the scars. I did it every day several times and it made a huge difference.
-I was told by my surgeon that I will think about it all the time for the first two months, every day for the next 6 months or so, every week for the next 6 months and then only occasionally after that. He was right.

I wish you good luck and I know that it will be worth it in the long run ( :D !
Please contact me if you have any other questions.
Sally

sallylondon

Sorry to go on but I forgot one of the most important things. Make sure you get a knee cuff. It is a bit like a blood pressure cuff that you secure around your knee and it is attached to a very large thermos. You fill the thermos with ice and cold water and when inflated it circulates the cold water around your knee and helps to reduce the swelling considerably. Start collecting the ice cubes now!

craftylady

Thank you for your replies & to sally it just goes to show you never stop learning you said everything I would pass on having 20 years of surgery, someone else who goes through the aneasthetic blues! Yes know them well, my last lot flooded over met the same day as my son went back to uni (I live on my own)
But will definitely look out the knee cuff you spoke of t4t also your comment on getting rid of that all consuming pain for post op pain & what a difference that makes to how you felt in yourself, I got myself back to walking 3 to 4 hours a week despite the damage and felt much better for it as I was/am determined not
of,

craftylady

Sorry finger trouble
Not to become another diabetic complication statistic
As I am having a job to get to the toilet without crutches just now that gladdens my heart and of course we all know don't we just how much of a difference that makes to our numbers, staying fit
Thanks again, great help an aid memoir plus!

sallylondon

craftylady, It won't be long before your family have to rush to keep up with you when you go for a walk. The first time my husband told me to slow down I laughed unti I cried. :thumbup:

Be patient with yourself and your recovery. I can say that now but I remember how impatient I was to heal and get on with life. Healing takes time so give yourself every chance. :wave:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I've only had an arthroscopy but I agree with everything that Sally said, excellent advice!

You should be having a pre-med examination, heart check etc a few days before your op - unless they've called you in already. Make sure they have you down as a diabetic, and tell them you're reducing your carbs or whatever as a special diet. They generally take diabetics is first on the surgery list so we don't have to fast for too long.

You'll probably find your levels go up a bit afterwards, because of the stress, the physical shock, and the effort of healing. Don't worry too much - just eat sensibly and let your body get on with things. As you heal things will get back to normal.

Last time I was in was only for day surgery but the nurses were really great and got me an egg-mayonnaise-in-wholemeal sandwich once I was out of the anaesthetic, which was fine for me as a one-off. The coffee was really good, too.

I freaked out the registrar when she said - "any diseases?" and I said "no". "Diabetes?" she asked. Me - "I don't count that as a disease!" :wink:

Good luck - it should turn your life around! :D

Viv 8)