Access to blood results

samantha13

Hi everyone. Today I had my bloods taken by my treatment room nurse for my appointment with the diabetes clinic next week.

I normally wait till i see the consultant to hear my results but I've been working really hard on my numbers recently so very keen (and a bit excited) to find out my hbA1c result in particular.

So I asked the nurse if I could ring in a couple of days for the results rather than wait the full week till I go to the clinic and she said no. She said the results go straight to the hospital and they don't have access to them.

How could this be? I thought my GP would definitely have the results when they come from the lab. I'm in Northern Ireland. Has anyone else experience of this?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Certainly where I am in Scotland, my results are visible by my GP directly from my records even though my diabetes clinic is not even in the same town as my local GP surgery. We also have quite a cool online facility where we can check our records at will from a smartphone/PC/tablet, etc.

Some hospitals and practices work in weird and wonderful ways and what may be common practice in one region may be alien to another. It is also entirely possible that your nurse is misinformed, of course - we're all human and do make mistakes sometimes...

If it were me, I'd give the bloods 3-4 working days to be processed and then call the results line from the same clinic in which the blood samples were taken. You may be pleasantly surprised and get the results over the phone! However, you may also find that your nurse is right and it's just one of them cases of "we've always done it this way and we're not changing it!"

Good luck with your results, not that you'll need any as I sense a lot of positivity from your post:)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would think your surgery could still access the results. Surely they'd be on your records?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So I asked the nurse if I could ring in a couple of days for the results rather than wait the full week till I go to the clinic and she said no. She said the results go straight to the hospital and they don't have access to them.

I would have thought your surgery would have access to the results but getting them back in two days is a big ask, they do say with bloods you have to wait 5-7 days before phoning the surgery.

samantha13

I would have thought your surgery would have access to the results but getting them back in two days is a big ask, they do say with bloods you have to wait 5-7 days before phoning the surgery.
I'm a nurse in a nursing home and all our residents results are available next day or 2 days at latest
Also my own personal bloods tests I've been told to ring in 2 days for the results. That's what I based my time frame on

Reactions: Energize

samantha13

I would think your surgery could still access the results. Surely they'd be on your records?
That's what I thought. She could be mistaken as after asking me if I was type 1 or 2 told me I should look into the '800 cal' diet as it's known to cure type 1 I just just smiled and nodded as was in a rush xx
@GrantGam1337

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's what I thought. She could be mistaken as after asking me if I was type 1 or 2 told me I should look into the '800 cal' diet as it's known to cure type 1 I just just smiled and nodded as was in a rush xx
@GrantGam1337
Oh no... Let's just hope it was a slip of the tongue on her part:)

Reactions: samantha13
D

Deleted member 308541

My results are available two days later from the SN Pathology shop at my GP's surgery. He will also give me a copy of the results for the tests done.

Reactions: samantha13

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that is fast @samantha13, suppose it depends on the efficiency of the lab.

If I have my blood drawn at the hospital (from GP request papers), the results are visible next day. If drawn by the practice nurse, it is later next day or maybe into the second day.

Online, self-service access saves all the hassle of calling for results, and allows the receptionists to get on with other things, rather than reading a list of numbers to me..

samantha13

If I have my blood drawn at the hospital (from GP request papers), the results are visible next day. If drawn by the practice nurse, it is later next day or maybe into the second day.

Online, self-service access saves all the hassle of calling for results, and allows the receptionists to get on with other things, rather than reading a list of numbers to me..
My practice doesn't currently have online facilities. Would be great for both patients and staff

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My practice doesn't currently have online facilities. Would be great for both patients and staff

They're well behind the curve then. in order to comply with the regulation, they should have been offering it since last April, at the latest.

My practice doesn't promoted the fact it is available, but when I asked for it, access was granted.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They're well behind the curve then. in order to comply with the regulation, they should have been offering it since last April, at the latest.

My practice doesn't promoted the fact it is available, but when I asked for it, access was granted.

I think that is only in England. This poster is in NI. ;)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you need to challenge your surgery as they should now be providing that service. Ask the practice manager why not and when will the service be available.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

That is really fast, thought 5-7 days for the results to come through was the same for everyone.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is really fast, thought 5-7 days for the results to come through was the same for everyone.

Mine come through within 24 hours. As soon as the lab does the test the report is input in the computer and the GP gets it straight away. I have had a test late morning and had the results the following morning.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Mine come through within 24 hours. As soon as the lab does the test the report is input in the computer and the GP gets it straight away. I have had a test late morning and had the results the following morning.

Thanks @Bluetit1802 , going to chase this up with my own gp practice.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Two days at my surgery but, you may have to press hard to get the results straight away. It depends who you ask. All these little foibles are sent to try us.;)