accu check remote questions

LaughingHyena

I'm finding it hard to find any information on this, since everwhere seems to be saying how great the remote is. I can see the advantage of not having to keep the pump in an accessable place but I have reservations.

Can you still use all the features of the pump without the remote? I gather you can still bolus directly from the pump but some places seem to be suggesting you need to do all the calculations and just input the amount to the pump. How about all the basal rates and other settings, are they only the the remote too.

At the moment I have several meters, one in my coat pocket, one in my bedside table and on I use at meal times. I've found it helpful as it means I never go out without a meter, but if the accucheck features are all on the remote I presume I would have to use that one all the time. Hmmm, having just spent 48 hours looking for my car keys I'm nto sure I want to be that dependant on one meter/remote.

Also is there anyway to lock the remote (or pump) so that it can't give an accedental bolus. Just imagining what the kids might manage to do if they get their hands on it!

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi LaughingHyena,
I have an Accu-chek Combo. You are correct in saying that if you are only using the pump, you need to have already done the calculations before dosing with the pump. Although, most people would check their BS before giving a Bolus so it is difficult to see why you wouldn't do this. The Basal rates are accessible on the pump and the remote (meter).

It would be difficult if you did not just stick to one meter, as I believe that you can only pair your pump to one meter to use as a remote. Although you could check your BS on another meter and manually enter the insulin Bolus on the pump, tough this would negate the need for the remote.

There is no way to lock the remote but you need to be pretty close to the pump for the bluetooth to work, so you would see your kids trying to work your pump and could stop them before damage was done!

Hope this helps, if you need any more info, please just ask.

LaughingHyena

Thanks, that confirms what I've been thinking.

I should get to play with both the recomended pumps (accu check combo and animas vibe) at my next appointment but so far I'm leaning towards the vibe. I think for me having most of the functionality on the pump is going to work better.