ACCU-CHEK combo pump

iHs

Just remember to allow for insulin in the cartridge to warm up to body temp first before you put it in the pump. This allows for any would be bubbles to form and rise to the top and then you can just get rid of them before you put the cartidge in the pump like I do..

The reason why you and I never experienced air bubbles using syringes was because the syringes were smaller in diameter and also the insulin was kept in the fridge, so when we filled the syringes, we just injected straight away and that's why we never got any bubbles......... :lol:

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Just an observation but people do seem to struggle with bubbles and their accu-check combo pumps - having to think of 'workarounds' to avoid them. I use a Medtronic paradigm Minimed pump and have absolutely no issues at all with air bubbles in my reservoir. You would think that accu-check could do something to improve the situation when so many of their customers seem to continue to have problems.

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
Yes I agree, but unfortunately when it came to choosing a pump the Medtronic wasn't an option, for me anyway it was Accuchek or Animas but not the latest Animas. Personally I think the filling of cartridges seem to be a wee bit Heath Robinson but am so pleased to be on any pump.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Agree Trina - pumps have changed my diabetes control and my life. Like you, I was not given a choice so I had to hope that the Medtronic pump would work for me. The last 12 months have been challenging and hard work but the peace of mind my pump gives me when things are going well is worth it - even though I seem to have to adjust my basal rates on almos a weekly basis. I'm having a good run at the moment and things have remained unchanged for almost 4 weeks !!! All the best. :D

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well my Combo never ceases to amaze me. Don't get me wrong people I love it to bits but the blue tooth device is still gobbling up batteries, I'm sure there must be a secret battery bunny that keeps sucking all the battery juice out of the thing. I was looking for some sort of indicator that tells you how much battery is left, is there one? This is the third time I have been caught unawares. Suddenly I look at the device and it tells me to get the pump closer in order that it is within range, flashing bluetooth symbol was the only indication that there was a battery problem.

I am the first to admit I am so much of a beginner with this device but still enjoying the usefulness of the pump.

lexilox

I just got my combo pump, rep told me to replace battery monthly even if it seems fine to avoid any problems. Accu check are happy to send them out free of charge this often, and I'm sure my kids will be happy to use up any leftover charge in them in the Wii remotes before they go in the recycling!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Battery usage.. The more you check data, reports etc the more battery you use... New users of pumps will find battery usage more than people seted on pumps.

Since going on cgm so checking bloods and data on pump my battery life on pump and remote is incredible.

The more data checked etc the less battery life you will have...

offitmassive

Hi there, been on accu chek combo for about 3 weeks now, and I can believe how I've made the past 16 years without it. 2 reasons why I chose accu chek,
1. I used accu chek aviva expert prior to pump so half the battle was sorted.. I knew my way around the test kit,
2.im a mechanic and thought the pump would get in the way, but Roche sell thigh straps so have bought one, pump strapped to inside my thigh and as it's blue tooth connected to test kit, I don't need to touch the pump... All control is via my blood test kit. I had a LOT issues with flex link, E4 occlusions cuz the link would be too soft, I'd knock it at work and kink it. I'm on rapid d now and find it a lot less painful putting cannula in and have had not 1 issue apart from the cannula not as sticky as with flexlink. Bring able to increase or decrease my background rate to what suits me is the best.

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hello. Like you I don't know how I managed for so long without a pump. The blue tooth did it for me too.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been on insulin since 1970, went on the Accu Check Pump about a year ago - it was life changing (although took a few months to sort out levels and stuff).

Also now have self funded Dexcom G4 CGM and this has stopped all my low and highs - as I can correct before they hit.

SB2013Pump

I received my pump yesterday and start training on Monday. Yipeeeeeeee.
Time to look through the manual and looking forward to starting.
The positive messages about these pumps on here are very encouraging

I know that we will be presented with lots of decisions on Monday like
- which infusion set.
- what supports for the pump to use for exercise classes
Any ideas welcome

I am off on holiday just three days after getting the pump,
but will have my pens with me so have that security if I get very confused at the start

Sue
Age 58 Type 1 5 years

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sue

My advice, be patient as it will take a while to settle down, a good few months I'd expect. I'm also on combo and its great.

Takes a little while to get used to having it with you all the time.

I started with needles as I did not like the teflon cannula's at first but now think they are great and use teflon Flexlink all the time.

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Sue
I started on my Accuchek pump November 2012 and I can honestly say that it is truly life changing.

My first scared moment was when I changed the cannula and then when I replaced the insulin cartridge but be assured it comes with practice.

The Accuchek helpline is really really good and will respond really quickly too.

I wouldn't be without my pump now and just wish I had one years ago. As have already been said be patient and I am sure you will also find it life changing

SB2013Pump

Mild panic.

I am on my second day of pumping

I have the steel cannula so a short length of tubing remains attached even when disconnected from the pump and this contains some insulin, and on my Basal rate this will last for quite a while when reconnected

I have just had a hot bath, but I have no idea what temperature the water is.
Will that have damaged the insulin that was left in the tube.
So do I need to change my infusion set after a bath?

Sue

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
After a bath just reprime the tube a little as you may have suck back in your tube from the pump. My insulin slways goesback up the tube about an inch, so I just prime to remove that inch of air and reconnect.

The set that may be still attached to you (or not-i like to time my barhs with taking sets off completely)... Will come to no harm from heat or the water. Accuchek do supply blue caps to put over the end connector. These aren't necessary in your ownbath water, but I would use them for swimming pools and the likes..

SB2013Pump

Thank you.

It all sounds very logical once you know what you are doing. It just seems a lot to take in at the start.

Timing baths with change of set sounds a very simple solution.
I have now oredered some caps ready for swimming, so another thing sorted out.

I did my first exercise class today since pumping, all went well so very pleased

Sue

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have never had to re-prime after first insertion. I take mine off for a shower each day and there has never been a need to re-prime afterwards, insulin has never travelled back to the pump. I also do not turn my pump off just leave it running even though its disconnected for 5-10 mins.

SB2013Pump

Thanks Chas

I have disconnected for shower each day without a problem so far.

Just spotted bubbles in cartridge but not worried so long as pump is up the right way.
Not sure what happens at night and that may account for the high this morning, or it may be that the Basal rate needing adjustment.
I need to wait until all the Levelmir is out of my system before I start to adjust those

I know that that will take a little while to get sorted and at present I have a bit of a wave in the early morning, but otherwise level.
I suspect that I need more int night and less in the day, as that was what I did with Levemir.
I was on 10units at night and 5.5 in the day, but it may just have been that I was compensating in the day with QA

Any adcvice is always welcome

Sue

Lyndesay

Hi,

I have been using the combo for nearly 2 months and find it nothing short of a miracle!

Don't get me wrong, it can be very tricky getting use to it and the adjustment etc apart from that, its great!

Although there is more testing involved, it is worth it in the end. Having had type 1 for 27 years, this is the first time I can honestly say that I have more control of my life rather than my Diabetes controlling me!

I hope you are successful with yours!!!

Lyndesay x
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SB2013Pump

Thanks Lindesay

I already feel like I am heading for more control even though I will have a time of adjusting the rates.
I have heard nothing but positive feedback regarding the Accu-Check Combo, and the support line have been great with useful tips.

I have successfuly dropped the cannula, pulled off the 'handle' whilst trying to remove the needle protector, ...
However I shall get better at all of this as we have plenty of opportunities ot practise. I still remember how difficult it seemed just testing and injecting when I was first dignosed (It was only five years ago) and that just became second nature.

Sue