Accu-Chek Insight - comments please from users

clarehayward

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone

Next Tues I pick up my second ever pump and it's a change from my Medtronic. I would like to hear from anybody using the Insight as to what they think/tips etc.

Thanks
Clare

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really like mine.

The remote is a bit slow, be patient, don't press buttons that are greyed out just wait for them to light up.

The charger for the handset is low power (about 0.4 amp USB). Standard chargers and car chargers will not work, but low power ones or ones that manage the power do work well. It comes with its own charger. If you plug it into a high power USB it can display an error.

You will need to prime out bubbles most days, I do it in the morning when I get up, probably about 80% of the times I check there are bubbles in the cannula.

Change the pump battery at least once a month, or when it starts to show you its below 90%, it can run down quite fast.

You can change battery or prime during a bolus wizard and it remembers, dosing the missing insulin when you restart.

Reactions: clarehayward

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The only downside is a really slow remote which can drive me crazy sometimes:banghead:
No problems with bubbles for me (never had to prime it) or the charger. I'm disappointed they discontinued steel cannulas as I really liked them

Reactions: genix and Chas C

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Like has been said the handset is no mobile phone and it does run slow but a reboot can speed it up a little, I am on my second Insight as I was getting very large air bubbles in the tubing so they replaced it when all they asked me to do failed. The one I am using now was fine for the first 2 month but have started getting alot of 2mm air bubbles in again which is causing a few highs for me when at work because I can't check it there alot of the time, Novo Nordisk have also been in contact with me regarding this issue, so all I can say is when its working correctly its a good pump but when its not its not a good pump

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love mine! Mind you, it's my first and only ever pump, so I've nothing to compare it to.

Yes the handset is quite slow, but it's not a deal-breaker.

I've never knowingly had a bubble.

Pump battery life is weird - shows 100% for weeks, it seems, but once it starts to show 95% it counts down very quickly. Handset charge lasts for days in my experience - that part is rechargeable, but the pump battery itself is an AAA battery.

I love that I can do everything from the handset (although now I'm more confident and therefore more gung ho with it than I was to start with - sorry, I mean au fait - I now often just use the buttons on the pump for setting TBRs or doing a pre-exercise bolus or whatever) so I don't have to constantly fish out the pump.

I've had a couple of cannula fails but only where I've been daft enough to put it in my most-injected and scarred areas of my tummy! These days I use the back of my spare tyre. I use the Flex cannulas and insert them with the Flexassist gadget that I got with my starter kit.

I love that the cartridges are pre-filled - no mucking about.

I love the look of it. Where the hosepipe comes out of the pump it looks really really smart - this sounds completely daft but I'm not keen on the look of the - how can I put this - hole where the hosepipe sticks out on most other pumps! If that makes sense....

I flipping LOVE my Insight pump. It's a brilliant piece of kit.

:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

Last edited:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Guys, are you using Lithium batteries in your pumps?

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Guys, are you using Lithium batteries in your pumps?
I use the ones they send me - although I have read about the cost to the CCG of these. I do wonder how important actually is it to use the 'you must use these ones' batteries - what are your thoughts, @tim2000s ?

clarehayward

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks everyone for your very helpful comments. It's really good to hear your views and the pros and cons.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That's the reason that the battery seems to act in an odd way. We see it on the looping pumps too. Essentially, the decay of a Lithium battery is such that it maintains at a high voltage for most of its life, then drops off rapidly, as opposed to the steady decline you see on a regular alkaline battery.