Accuchek pump-basal delivery

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi everyone

Can any othe accu chek combo user tell me if they have seen info somewhere that tells them that hourly delivery of under 0.40 units is unstable.......I swear I have seen this somewhere, but I don't know where.

Last night for the first time I have had to set my combo pump to deliver 0.35 units from 11pm-4am and for the first time ever using the rapid d set that I woke to huge readings this morning and when I tried to bolus for breakfast, the pump started E4 Occlusion warnings.

When I took the set out, forthe first time ever with the rapid d set I had loads of blood all over the sticky plaster around the top of the set.

I have sent a query to accuchek by computer today, and am waiting for them to phone me-hopefully tomorrow....however in the meantime I still have to get through tonight...if I raise my basals I will go hypo...

I haven't previously given such low rates over night, for such a long stretch at a time, and something somewhere in my little brain is telling me that this pump can't guartantee to deliver basals under 0.40 accurately, but I don't know where I have read it.......

Any help from other combo pump users would be very much appreciated.....
Thanx...Shax

jopar

No there's no issue's with stability under 0.40..

I've never experienced any problems and 98% of my hourly rates are below 0.40, they range from 0.05-0.35 with two hours runing at 0.40.. and one hour runing at 0.50 on my normal basal profile, and lower levels on profile 2 and 3..

I doubt that it caused the oncculsion, to do this you would have had the pump delivering 0.00 insulin for a period of time which might cause any crystalisation in the insulin to cause a block..

Perhaps you've pulled the tubing over-night and disloged or bent the cannular!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sorry just checked what I lowered them to last night and it was 0.32 for 5 hours straight.

Both hubby and I checked the steel cannula when taken out and it was perfect straight, and no blood on it either, just a good fair sized splodge at the top where it mounts to the set part, and seeped over the sticky stuff.

I can't think where I have seen something about delivery on basal units for under 0.40 per hour, but it just rings a bell. I guess I will have to see whether I get another occlusion in the mornings. I know that thee are a lot of people on lower doses, but there is something just stirring in my brain somewhere that I have read something on this.....thanks Jopar, I will see what happens.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We don't use the same pump as you, but Jess is using the steel cannula like you. Her basal ranges between 0.20 and 0.35 units per hour and we have no problems with that small delivery. We've also had occasions where we've suspended the basal delivery (set to -100%) for up to an hour and had no issues with blockage once basal resumes again.

sugar2

Hi,

No, I don't recall having seeing anything about 0.4 being the lower limit.

Could your BG have been high becasue the basal rate was set a little too low?

(Do I win the prize for pointing out the bleedin (scuse the pun!) obvious :D )

barkbark

I have my Basal rate set at .25 of a unit for a block of 4 hours each day with no issues and at .40 of a unit for another few hours each day. It has been working without issue like this for the past 12 months.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi
Accucheck confirmed that the pump can deliver under 0.40 to me. Since the first night of going down to 0.32, I am now down to 0.28 per hour, and have not had an occlusion since and levels are remaining stable.

I think because I had such a huge amounts of occlusions with the flexilink plus sets before I changed to the rapid d's I think I was just panicked.

Accuchek said they would ask my rep to phone me, but haven't heard anything yet.