Aching Legs and Numb Face?

DazG

Hi

I have recently been diagnosed with type 2. I saw my DN yesterday and she said she wants me to have another blood test at the end of May to check if I am type 1? I dont really understand much of whats going on to be honest and am getting quite confused.

Anyway at the moment I am not being treated for my Diabetes, and I also havent been given any advice on controlling it myself. I have been given blood pressure tablets, and simvastatin which I have been taking for a month.

Lately my legs are starting to ache very badly, top and bottom, and the left side of my face and lips/chin feel numb and tingly, and I wanted to ask if this is anything to do with Diabetes?

justfoundout

Dislikes
Bullies
DazG
I'm sitting here gob smacked that your treatment has been appalling. Get yourself another appointment or better still a referral to the main diabetic team of your PCT. You need to get the team to give you a meter so that you can test your sugars before and after meals. You need to understand what different foods are doing to your levels so you know what foods to limit or avoid.
Someone will pop up and give more detail. Have you had a Hba1c test? Has your nurse scheduled you in for an eye scan? Have they checked your feet?
Be demanding and polite. I have found that by educating myself on this site and elsewhere has helped me work through the maze of the NHS. Spend as much time as you can finding out about diabetes. Control it rather than let it control you.
It was pains similar to what you describe that led me to my gp and the eventual diabetes diagnosis. I have taken the low carb and exercise route (no drugs yet) and the pains have all but gone. What is left is due to a compressed nerve in my elbow hich the neurologist says will improve if I stop leaning on it (not everything then is about diabetes!). The tingling has gone and it's great to feel healthy again.
This forum is an invaluable tool. Once you have read you will no doubt have a host of questions and the wonderful folk here are very generous with their knowledge. M

DazG

Im not sure what the Hba1c test is, but I had the glucose tolerance test at the hospital, and after 2 hours of drinking the glucose drink my BS was 12.2 I think.

I had my feet checked yesterday and they were fine, I also have been referred for the eye test which has a waiting list of 2-3 months here. The doctor is also booking me on some sort of course which runs at the end of June.

I just feel like I dont know anything at the moment, noone seems to be telling me anything, I think I understand what diabetes is from what I have read, but thats it. My DN asked me if I had any questions yesterday, but I said no, because I dont, I dont know anything so wouldnt know what to ask. I also cant understand how they dont know which type I am, isnt there a difference between type 1 and type 2?

Its all very confusing isnt it :shock:

justfoundout

Dislikes
Bullies
DazG
I was SO confused, scared, uneducated, train-wrecked when I was diagnosed. I left the surgery in tears and didn't know what to do. Was given almost no advice.
Then I found this site. I spent hours reading, going to other sites to find out more. I'm a relative new comer to this with a diagnosis early Feb so still learning.

Most GPs are used to seeing T2 patients who are on the heavier side so if you are not overweight then that is why they may think you are T1? I'm not for one instance implying that being overweight causes diabetes so please don't think that. I am a skinny T2 and it took a while for the right test to be done when I presented myself ill at the GP. 20% of us T2s will not fit what GPs are looking for.

My 2 hr reading was around yours. If we weren't diabetic after the 2 hours the reading would have almost been back to where it was prior to the glucose drink. But our bodies (T2) are either not making enough insulin to lower sugar levels or our insulin is not processing sugars correctly. Doesn't matter which the results are the same = diabetes. If not controlled we face a whole host of health problems (eyes, kidneys, loss of limbs...) But by taking control we can avoid those problems and live a long and healthy life. In fact I'm healthier ssince diagnosis than I have bee for years! Much more aware of my health, diet, stress levels, exercise quota etc. So there is a positive side.

Get yourself back to the GP and at least get basic answers to why the confusion on the type, can you have a meter pre-June (demand nicely), a form to get your Hba1c tested at the hospital, a urine test to see if there is sugar in it, a kidney test to see if you have a problem. No-one here will offer medical advice just the benefits of experience. When you have all the information it is easier to develop your attack back strategy.

There can be vociferous debating here on how low you should go with carbs but testing will give you your solution. Get the Collins Calorie Counter which tells you the carb count of everything. Whatever diet route you choose you will need to cut back on carbs. Carbs are what turn to sugar and affect your levels. For me that means I have eliminated all store bought bakery (now bake low carb alternatives), pasta, starchy veg (potatoes), milk (but not other dairy), beer (a very rare thing for this lady but nice cold lager on a sunny evening will be missed this summer - red wine is OK), rice, cous cous etc. Others here will say you can have small amounts of these. One size does not fit all. Explore the options by reading and eat to your meter.

The Hba1c test measures the average sugar level over the past 8-12 weeks and should be useful in your regular reviews. It will show the trend. Most on here set themselves a target and some aim for n0n-diabetic levels (5 or below). My OH calls it the playground sneak in that it can tell tales.
There is so much info on here. Use the search engine. Wow I have gone on a bit but hope some of this helps.

I really understand as I felt so alone at the beginning and had no db friends to turn to. But have found heaps of support here. M

DazG

Your info is great, thank you :)

I have bought myself a testing kit today, I did the test correctly and it gave me a reading of ER1 which meant my blood sugar was below 1.1 hence why I felt so awful. I did the test twice just to make sure it wasnt an error.

I spoke to my diabetic nurse and she told me I shouldnt be testing, I told her its too late now I have a machine, so she has said I need to see her and she will give me a test metre and show me how to use it.

She also told me type 2s not on medication do not get hypoglycemic. I have no idea what to think anymore to be honest and think I need a great big long chat with her when I see her.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
DazG said:
She also told me type 2s not on medication do not get hypoglycemic. I have no idea what to think anymore to be honest and think I need a great big long chat with her when I see her.

Yet again rubbish information from a HCP........tell her to look up Hypoglycaemia. Tell her to talk to an Endocrinologist before spouting such stuff.

This Forum has many posts about the subject. Tell her to read up about it.......ANYBODY whether Diabetic or not can suffer from hypoglycaemia....low blood sugar. If she doesn't know that then she needs to study more.

You do not have to be on medication to suffer from it......Fact !

Ken

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
DazG,
Simvastatin can cause your legs to ache - you should ask about that next time you see the Nurse, maybe sooner?
type 2s not on medication do not get hypoglycemic
I don't think this is true - I was told it too, but your blood glucose can go down to a level that would be counted as hypo if you were on insulin, it's just that if you are T2 you should recover without taking extra glucose. It's still unpleasant and you don't want to get that low!

DazG

Thanks for the info Ken, I will sort a few things out when I see her, they seem to be pretty lax in doing anything to be honest.

DazG

brill said:
DazG,
Simvastatin can cause your legs to ache - you should ask about that next time you see the Nurse, maybe sooner?
type 2s not on medication do not get hypoglycemic
I don't think this is true - I was told it too, but your blood glucose can go down to a level that would be counted as hypo if you were on insulin, it's just that if you are T2 you should recover without taking extra glucose. It's still unpleasant and you don't want to get that low!

Hi

I have a blood test in just over a week to check some level, this level will be raised if the simvastatin is causing problems so hopefully will find that out pretty soon, unfortunately I am off to Cornwall tomorrow for the week so I cant sort anything out until I get back.

DazG

I have just checked again and my blood glucose 2 hours after eating is 8.6 so at least it has gone up, tho I know I need to keep it lower than that.