Type 1 Acquire insulin in UK while staying as an exchange student - Help

jccarrau

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me in the trouble I find myself in. I'm a type 1 diabetic patient and I'll be going on an exchange to the UK from January till July. Given that I'll be staying less than 6 months, from what I've gathered there is no need for me to get a Standard Visitor Visa.

That being said, there is the small issue that I need to acquire insulin while staying there, as I would be unable to take all all that I will use in the totality of my trip. While searching what would be my alternatives, I've come across some information which states that foreigners can use the NHS while being in the UK so long as they have a visa.

So my question is, would I be able to get insulin from the NHS while being there if I get a visa but don't necessarily stay over 6 months? Somebody told me I would have to register with a GP, but I didn't understand if that was to be made through the NHS.

Any help you can provide is most useful! I really don't know where else to ask, the UK embassy at my country won't answer.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me in the trouble I find myself in. I'm a type 1 diabetic patient and I'll be going on an exchange to the UK from January till July. Given that I'll be staying less than 6 months, from what I've gathered there is no need for me to get a Standard Visitor Visa.

That being said, there is the small issue that I need to acquire insulin while staying there, as I would be unable to take all all that I will use in the totality of my trip. While searching what would be my alternatives, I've come across some information which states that foreigners can use the NHS while being in the UK so long as they have a visa.

So my question is, would I be able to get insulin from the NHS while being there if I get a visa but don't necessarily stay over 6 months? Somebody told me I would have to register with a GP, but I didn't understand if that was to be made through the NHS.

Any help you can provide is most useful! I really don't know where else to ask, the UK embassy at my country won't answer.

This link might be helpful to you: https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-qu...i-register-as-a-temporary-resident-with-a-gp/

Alternatively, you could contact the charity Diabetes UK. They have a helpline. Contact details are here for both telephone and email contact: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/how_we_help/helpline

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps, if you know where you will be staying someone will be able to visit their local NHS GP practice and get advice on the process.
If you bring a prescription showing your normal insulins that ought to help - but doing some preparation before you get here is going to help. As a visitor you have to pay for your treatment, but I have only a scant knowledge of how things worked for visitors from the EU when we were part of it, so all that no longer works anyway and it might not apply at all of course.
I suggest contacting anyone involved in managing your trip - they ought to have your care and safety in mind and give whatever help they can as part of their organisation.