What do people like better?
Omad or adf?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat a low carb/ketogeninc type diet, and I don't tie myself down to any specific eating regime: I'll eat if I'm hungry, but most often skip breakfast (something I've done most of my life from long before and since my T2 diagnosis). I let my body tell me what it needs and when it needs it. But I'm not on any diabetic medications , so it may be different if you are using insulin.

@MissMuffett : ADF is alternate day fasting but I can't tell you though what exactly that entails...

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@MissMuffett : ADF is alternate day fasting but I can't tell you though what exactly that entails...
Thank you. ;)
It usually means fast for around 36 hours. Last meal 6pm say on a Monday and then don’t eat again until breakfast Wednesday.

I skip breakfast and and have lunch and dinner but try and be guided by my state of hunger. If I don’t feel hungry I skip lunch too! I try not to be tied to eating a meal because the clock says so.

Reactions: cdpm

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t fast, I had serious issues around food when I was younger and still do to a certain extent so I avoid fasting for fear of triggering something. I eat usually 3 times a day with 5 hr gaps, I do sometimes miss lunch if I’m not hungry, but then I tend just to think about food all the time and then snack

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I go by hunger, so sometimes brunch and dinner each at whatever time, sometimes dinner only. I would be quite happy to fast for longer, but the hunger cuts in and doesn't go away until I feed it. I have known people say that they "get past" hunger pangs or even don't get them at all, but I am not one of those people. Still, what I do seems to work for me.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Personally I do Time Restricted Eating during the week and OMAD on weekends, but that's just because it is more convenient for me that way.
I have a friend who does a modified form of ADF - not exactly fasting but l eating only 1 breakfast sized meal on alternate days. And normal 3 meal on the other days.
He isn't diabetic, but obese and has lost some weight on that, but recently weight seems to have stabilised at less than before, but still obese.
Note he doesn't Low carb - says not eating bread would kill him. [ I take the exact opposite view, but keep quiet to avoid arguments.]

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Before I did my three and a half day fast recently I was doing 18.6 fasting which really suited me and I lost several pounds on that. I will go back to that as it suits me very well. I've never done one day eating one day fasting though.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I have been told that (if already fat adapted) that after 36hrs of fasting it gets easier.
Don't know if that's true for me since I only do such a fast for 3 days (and only 3 days) for medical procedure which I need every 2 yrs.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I have been told that (if already fat adapted) that after 36hrs of fasting it gets easier.
Don't know if that's true for me since I only do such a fast for 3 days (and only 3 days) for medical procedure which I need every 2 yrs.
@ianf0ster YES! it IS true n much to my surprise! I've only done this one fast and expected to be hungry by day 2 but I've not had a single hunger pain throughout the whole 86 hours of fasting and could easily have carried on! But I thought I'd done enough for first my fast x

Reactions: cdpm and ianf0ster