Adhesive trouble swimming laps

jonohoff1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dexcom is the subject of this post not a pump, but same area of trouble. I am an unstable type 1 who relies heavily on my G6 Dexcom, and I want to find some way to swim laps with it. Even with the better overlay patches on Amazon, it doesn't stand a fighting chance when swimming laps. A brand new senser is falling off after maybe a mile of swimming freestyle. It does fine in the shower and if just sitting in a hot tub, but swimming laps is totally hopeless. Can anyone recommend a product that I should try? I think I need something that covers the entire devices not just an overlay. Would really appreciate any ideas!

Jono

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use one for the Libre off Amazon. A total cover that doesn’t stick to the middle. See through. Just googled for Dexcom and there is a variety. I wear one 24/7 as i too swim laps regularly for about a mile. All that bashing your arm over needs a good cover. Never had one come off yet. I usually put a fresh one on each week.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use Skin Tac to hold my Dexcom's in place then Lift Plus to remove them, been doing this for likely 12 yrs or more. I the old days I'd keep Dexcom in place for a month with Skin Tac, swimming, showering etc.

jonohoff1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
becca can you post a link or something to the cover you use?

for Skin tac do you smear skin tac on your skin before putting the sensor on? like apply skin tac, stick sensor on the smeared area, and your done for the whole sensor session? Should I put it on the sensor adhesive as well before sticking it on my body? Or only on my skin? I am totally up for trying it! I really appreciate getting feed back on this! Swimming laps is great because I'm within 50 yards of sugar if I end up needing it. I ran cross country in high school before I became insulin dependent, but doing that now and being miles away from emergency sugar would be life threatening for me.

Thankyou again!
Jono

PS... if it matters, I have always worn my sensor on the side of my belly, not on my arm. Not sure if that changes the kind of covers that I should consider, or if I should try switch to using my arm or what.

Last edited:

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
becca can you post a link or something to the cover you use?

for Skin tac do you smear skin tac on your skin before putting the sensor on? like apply skin tac, stick sensor on the smeared area, and your done for the whole sensor session? Should I put it on the sensor adhesive as well before sticking it on my body? Or only on my skin? I am totally up for trying it! I really appreciate getting feed back on this! Swimming laps is great because I'm within 50 yards of sugar if I end up needing it. I ran cross country in high school before I became insulin dependent, but doing that now and being miles away from emergency sugar would be life threatening for me.

Thankyou again!
Jono

PS... if it matters, I have always worn my sensor on the side of my belly, not on my arm. Not sure if that changes the kind of covers that I should consider, or if I should try switch to using my arm or what.
I put skin tac on my skin before I put the sensor on - you apply with either brush (if you use bottle) or a wipe, let it dry for 30 secs then put sensor onto it. Use Lift Plus to remove excess taking care not to wipe the sensor. I've never needed to use covers.

• Agree
Reactions: Hopeful34

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i ordered a bottle thatll get here sunday and im due for a new sensor monday so i look forward to trying this :)
I'd heard someone mentioned (somewhere) that you can get Skin Tac on prescription, I've not seen that yet and been buying mine for 10+ years. But ..... Lift Plus is definitely available from your GP on prescription.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry cannot post a link at mo. Away and signal is horrendous.

Lakeslover

I use a libre and use tegaderm to cover it. I swim for an hour two or three times a week and one patch usually lasts tge full 14 days.

jonohoff1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
haven't gone to pool yet but I got this sensor mounted spot on 100% perfect so I feel optimistic about the skin tac solution (-:
Will post after a few trial swims as to how it goes Thankyou so much for the help!

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
haven't gone to pool yet but I got this sensor mounted spot on 100% perfect so I feel optimistic about the skin tac solution (-:
Will post after a few trial swims as to how it goes Thankyou so much for the help!
Hope it works for you, please remember to use something like lift plus to remove it otherwise you will get very sore skin.

• Agree

jonohoff1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
After about 3 freestyle miles of laps it started to peal a little. I ended up with an ear infection from not drying my ears out after my swims, so I haven't added any laps after that swim took me to about 3.5 miles on this sensor. Not sure if I'll be back in the pool with this sensor, or if it won't be until the next. Do I just need to be more liberal with my application? Or should I apply a seal coat to my skin, then a 2nd layer, then the sensor? I let the pealing area dry after getting out of the pool, then added some more skin tac to the area that was coming off. It started pealing again pretty quick., which that was not surprising. I bought the bottle with the brush, not the individual whips, so if I just need to apply more that's no big deal. Or do I need to let it dry on my skin a little longer or shorter before the sensor goes on? I gotta figure out the antibiotic situation for my ears before I get back in the pool, so it may be longer than the 3 days I have left on this sensor.

In case the level of protection I was hoping for wasn't real clear, I want to get to where I'm swimming 15+ miles on each 10 day sensor session. I currently put the sensors on the side of my belly. Is there somewhere else I should put them instead if this is the level of workout goal that I am going for? I have a pack of the better overlay patches from Amazon... should I apply these when it starts to peal with the skin tac? i must be doing something not quite right if other people are having such fabulous results with the stuff.

Last edited:

jonohoff1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone suggest any additional support I should try to make this work for me? This is the 3rd sensor that I've swam with using the skin tac, and it is simply not doing the trick for swimming an honest workout.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does your skin feel 'tacky' before you apply the sensor? It needs to feel sticky (not wet) but not left too long or it stops feeling sticky. I think @Antje77 uses Tegaderm or something similar over the top of her sensor, so maybe try that from day one in addition to the Skin tac.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone suggest any additional support I should try to make this work for me? This is the 3rd sensor that I've swam with using the skin tac, and it is simply not doing the trick for swimming an honest workout.
I use Hypafix Transparent over my Libre. I have the 10cm x 10m (4in x 11yds) version, which will easily fit over a Dexcom as well, just cut a square from the roll.
For me, it often sticks for two weeks, lots of room for peeling edges, sometimes I need to replace a patch after a week or 10 days.
To make this easier, I stick a small piece of tissue to the middle of the patch before applying so the patch won't stick to my sensor if I want to replace.

This has worked well for me for almost 7 years, spending at least an hour in the swimming pool twice a week (but not nearly swimming as far as you do), plus some year round open water swimming.
It also protects my sensor from doorposts, bra straps, and prying kitten paws (yes, I lost a sensor to this once, I woke up right when it was too late! :cat: )

1712521121307.png

jonohoff1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks people. im putting a sensor on tonight and will try letting it dry a little more before i apply this time. I'm look into that other product after i try this sensor with better skin tac application