Adventures at the surgery

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went to see the DN yesterday to get my HbA1c results. Blood taken 31 October.

No result listed. Not impressed. Handed over my sample and pointed out that the name on the form was not mine and according to the date of birth 20 years my junior.

I suggested that she look at that record and see if there had been a recent HbA1c. She said she would check the record but even if there was a result she couldn't use it.

To be honest, I was more concerned that this poor lady had a result that wasn't hers. So long as she isn't diabetic that's fine. If she is, getting a low result (mine) will confuse the situation.

My bs has been a little higher over the past few weeks for no apparent reason. This last week my toe turned bright red. By the time I saw the nurse yesterday it had lost the lividity and looked bruised. It is paler today but if no better in 2 weeks contact the surgery.

So if I had a brooding infection this could have caused my slightly higher numbers.

Nurse was lovely, will ring on Monday with HbA1c result.

Needless to say I will be keeping a very close eye on things in future.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh no, what a muddle! I hope they sort it out quickly for you and that your toe improves soon x

Reactions: xfieldok

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@xfieldok - I check my record after every known action, from consultations, to test results, to repeat prescriptions, due to an error I discovered a couple of years ago, post surgery.

I had had the surgery, and in my usual way, I had seen the original pathology and histology reports, so I was comfortable the tumour removed was rare, disfiguring and destructive, but benign, and not the carcinoma noted on my notes. I could only conclude the person coding the results hadn't heard of the condition, due to its rarity.

Needless to say, my record was corrected, but from then on in, I see it as my job to make sure "my story" is being recorded accurately.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@xfieldok - I check my record after every known action, from consultations, to test results, to repeat prescriptions, due to an error I discovered a couple of years ago, post surgery.

I had had the surgery, and in my usual way, I had seen the original pathology and histology reports, so I was comfortable the tumour removed was rare, disfiguring and destructive, but benign, and not the carcinoma noted on my notes. I could only conclude the person coding the results hadn't heard of the condition, due to its rarity.

Needless to say, my record was corrected, but from then on in, I see it as my job to make sure "my story" is being recorded accurately.

Not as serious but I still have a BP reading on my record that isn’t mine, despite me asking the practice manager and the GP to remove it :banghead:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not as serious but I still have a BP reading on my record that isn’t mine, despite me asking the practice manager and the GP to remove it :banghead:

I do too! The thing is, it's a darn sight lower than mine so I'm half tempted not to say anything. :)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is nothing like personal experience to open your eyes and educate you. I am glad you spotted the error and sorted it out.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do too! The thing is, it's a darn sight lower than mine so I'm half tempted not to say anything. :)
Mine’s higher! So I really wanted it deleted. However time has passed by, it was over a year ago now and there are several readings recorded since which are mine which show normal readings.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Interesting. The blood takers always ask for my name, date of birthday and address before they take my blood and cross check it to the form, plus repeat the process as they label the containers holding my blood.
The pathology companies of course depend on correct identification in order to receive payment (via Aussie Medicare) so that provides a second incentive to obtaining accurate identification !!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting. The blood takers always ask for my name, date of birthday and address before they take my blood and cross check it to the form, plus repeat the process as they label the containers holding my blood.
The pathology companies of course depend on correct identification in order to receive payment (via Aussie Medicare) so that provides a second incentive to obtaining accurate identification !!
Trust me, I will be asking similar questions in the future!

D

Deleted member 308541

Same here @kitedoc at the pathology shop "Sullivan Nicolaides" I go to they show me the vials of blood with the filled in label attached and ask me if it's correct. This is after checking for the correct name and dob and address beforehand.

Reactions: xfieldok

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Same here @kitedoc at the pathology shop "Sullivan Nicolaides" I go to they show me the vials of blood with the filled in label attached and ask me if it's correct. This is after checking for the correct name and dob and address beforehand.
Does your blood show the blueness of Royalty, or 'true blue', @Tipetoo?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whatever you do, when your lovely nurse rings you do not forget to ask for a print out that you can collect from reception. You need to see all your results in black and white (with hopefully no red bits), and not just your glucose and HbA1c but all the other stuff they tested. It is all important.

Doesn't your surgery put test results on line?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was once asked if I had recovered from an illness I had never had - and a decade later was asked if it had reoccurred, despite correcting the doctor the first time - but that is, for me, just another example of not being able to tell a doctor anything...

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went to see the DN yesterday to get my HbA1c results. Blood taken 31 October.

No result listed. Not impressed. Handed over my sample and pointed out that the name on the form was not mine and according to the date of birth 20 years my junior.

I suggested that she look at that record and see if there had been a recent HbA1c. She said she would check the record but even if there was a result she couldn't use it.

To be honest, I was more concerned that this poor lady had a result that wasn't hers. So long as she isn't diabetic that's fine. If she is, getting a low result (mine) will confuse the situation.

My bs has been a little higher over the past few weeks for no apparent reason. This last week my toe turned bright red. By the time I saw the nurse yesterday it had lost the lividity and looked bruised. It is paler today but if no better in 2 weeks contact the surgery.

So if I had a brooding infection this could have caused my slightly higher numbers.

Nurse was lovely, will ring on Monday with HbA1c result.

Needless to say I will be keeping a very close eye on things in future.
My surgery just look up my name on their computer and confirm it by asking for my address. I can't understand how they can find the wrong name?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yup.
I have had two bloods taken in two different places this week.
Each time, name, dob and address cross referenced with notes.

Yet the first test results never arrived (hence the second test).
This happens quite often.
Obviously something goes wrong further down the transport-lab-communication-admin route.