Advice for Cold Feet and Hands

cbonnar01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi folks,

Hope we are all doing well and living a "normal" COVID-free life.

Just a question and looking for some advice surrounding cold feet and hands. I am a fellow type 1 diabetic (for 19 years) and I work an office based job (now home working) so I'm sitting for most of the day. I am currently suffering with cold feet and hands - something I have always had but now worse and have tried everything from double socks to cups of green tea (for the hands).

Any googling seems to tell me its poor circulation - fair enough, currently trying out more movement - will report back with results. :pompous:

Has anyone any hints, tips or tricks they use to keep their feet and hands warmer, except the obvious like heating and socks.

Look forward to hearing!:happy:

Thanks again,

Cammy.

Reactions: Torres71

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
cold hands and feet were a symptom of my low thyroid activity. I still remember the feeling of warmth about the third day of taking the supplement. It was like being in a warm bath.

Reactions: cbonnar01

cbonnar01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
cold hands and feet were a symptom of my low thyroid activity. I still remember the feeling of warmth about the third day of taking the supplement. It was like being in a warm bath.

That's interesting. I have an appointment tomorrow (Thursday 10th) for blood tests at the doctors so will mention this. Having a quick glance at this on Google, I do have similar symptoms of hypothyroidism - cold extremities, tiredness, aches and pains.

Although I will leave the diagnosis to the docs, I will stick to IT :).

Thanks for the heads up about it!

Steve978

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant lazy selfish humans .
Hi everyone hope you are all keeping safe. I’ve had cold feet and the toes are numb and painful especially my right foot more so at night. I see the foot nurse once a year which is a waste of time really. Apart from putting deep heat and thick socks on at bedtime I don’t know what else to do. Due to the present situation with Covid 19 I am reluctant to see any doctor, I’ve also told my diabetes nurse. Any information would be appreciated.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought a cheap heating pad in the Black Friday sales - like a smallish rectangle of heated blanket, which lives under my desk and I stick my feet on that if they are chilly. They also live inside a pair of soft-soled Ugg-type sheepskin house boots at all times during the day, unless the temp is around 30c! For cold nights (and I keep my bedroom below 15c in winter) I wear a pair of Heat Holder brand socks in bed and they are snuggly warm.

Oh, and I am in the process of knitting a pair of fingerless mittens for when my hands are cold first thing in the morning.

I have always had cold feet, and if the tootsies are cold then there’s no hope for the rest of me! I have found though, that the best thing is not to let my feet get cold in the first place, so I don’t walk around barefoot in the morning and go straight from normal socks to bed socks in the winter.

Reactions: Steve978

Torres71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've suffered with cold feet for years, which has been worse during the winter, as I too am working from home. At the office I always had an electric fan heater near my feet. I can't do that at home due to my dog & the kids being home. However, I did buy a pair of fur lines men's Totes moccasins. They were expensive, but are the best investment I've made. My feet are toasty all day when I'm home. Highly recommended.

Honeyblossom

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I too, get cold hands and feet and had to make some adaptations when I started working from home (computer work as well) I invested 99p in some fingerless gloves which actually exceeded my expectations , I have also discovered like some have said, a decent pair of sheepskin type slippers. I have two pairs - one has a thick sole that you could walk outside with and they always keep me warm. The other pair has no sole and my feet get cold. I also have a lap blanket which you cant see on teams meetings

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was feeling cold today so my husband found an oil filled radiator with thermostat, heat intensity and timer to put next to my chair. Lovely - now all I need is to find a way to sit my mug on top of it to keep my coffee warm in these chilly evenings.

broads

Hi everyone hope you are all keeping safe. I’ve had cold feet and the toes are numb and painful especially my right foot more so at night. I see the foot nurse once a year which is a waste of time really. Apart from putting deep heat and thick socks on at bedtime I don’t know what else to do. Due to the present situation with Covid 19 I am reluctant to see any doctor, I’ve also told my diabetes nurse. Any information would be appreciated.
I have a wheat bag that I microwave when I go to bed. Would be lost without ti.

Reactions: oldgreymare

the-mental-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gloves that work on a touchscreen have been my saviour recently.

You might think living in Malta means it isn't that cold but it's been down to 10°C by early afternoon recently and as COVID-19 regulations mean we have to keep the shop door open (and the place is marble and tile everywhere) it's definitely been feeling like gloves weather to me in the shop.

Ley666

Hi folks,

Hope we are all doing well and living a "normal" COVID-free life.

Just a question and looking for some advice surrounding cold feet and hands. I am a fellow type 1 diabetic (for 19 years) and I work an office based job (now home working) so I'm sitting for most of the day. I am currently suffering with cold feet and hands - something I have always had but now worse and have tried everything from double socks to cups of green tea (for the hands).

Any googling seems to tell me its poor circulation - fair enough, currently trying out more movement - will report back with results. :pompous:

Has anyone any hints, tips or tricks they use to keep their feet and hands warmer, except the obvious like heating and socks.

Look forward to hearing!:happy:

Thanks again,

Cammy.
This is driving me insane. My thyroid was far too high so I got cut down to 150mg, since then my feet have been like blocks of ice, I sit with a hot water bottle on them every chance I get, my skin has went from really healthy to dry dry dry! I'm hoping it's just my body is taking a while to adjust as it's getting me down! I'm cold at the best of times.

Hope you find some answers and keeping well x

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I get the cold hands n feet in the winter only, I wear diabetic socks which I have found do help. Not an issue in the summer, but pretty sure it's circulation thing. Walking around I'm fine, but sit and they get cold easily.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with Tophat1900.
Movement, keep your circulation going during desk-bound days. Get up and walk around for a few minutes from time to time.
For me also (who has arterial disease) I try and keep as my legs as 'fit' as possible by regular walking and cycling.
Good control of blood sugars and healthy weight contribute too.