Advice for my mum

Anfalas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

My mum has been diagnosed about 12 years ago but has not managed her bg very well. She would eat carbs etc and just put her diabetes out of mind her levels were in high teens. She has now been prescribed insulin and I think this has given her the kick in the butt to do something about her health.

She doesn't speak English so Im asking for her.

She's really skinny - should she go on low carb diet anyway to control her bg? She is on long acting insulin once a day so far does that matter with carbs?

Is it possible for her to get better and come off it or is insulin permanent?

She's been told to test 2 times a day but no other direction as to when is there any best times?

Anything else she should know?

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate any answers.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

My mum has been diagnosed about 12 years ago but has not managed her bg very well. She would eat carbs etc and just put her diabetes out of mind her levels were in high teens. She has now been prescribed insulin and I think this has given her the kick in the butt to do something about her health.

She doesn't speak English so Im asking for her.

She's really skinny - should she go on low carb diet anyway to control her bg? She is on long acting insulin once a day so far does that matter with carbs?

Is it possible for her to get better and come off it or is insulin permanent?

She's been told to test 2 times a day but no other direction as to when is there any best times?

Anything else she should know?

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate any answers.
Hi,

Ideally? Twice a day means nothing.. Morning on waking, before a meal & 2 hours after. Then before bed, logging the tests, times & meals would help the doctor or nurse help your mother with what's happening...

What long acting insulin is your mum prescribed? Are there any other diabetes medications too?

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hypos: Make sure she knows the definition (<4.0), symptoms (varies between people - often sweaty, shaky, hungry, confused but there are others) and treatment (15g sugar and retest in 10-15 min to make sure you come back up)

Test your blood sugar whenever you feel "funny" as it may be a hypo.

Test more frequently when you are sick.

It is possible to come off insulin since she is a T2 (T1's need it forever since their pancreas is broken, but T2's are able to produce their own insulin. However some of them have damaged their pancreas and may not be able to produce sufficient amounts). It is not possible to "cure" diabetes - she can come off medication but needs to be mindful of her diet and lifestyle.

As for her diet, as long as she is eating the right number of calories her weight will not be affected.