Advice needed for labour

Lolli24

Now my due date is getting closer I'm starting to think about the actual labour and how my diabetes will affect it. I'm being induced at 38 weeks but I really don't know what's involved or how it works with diabetes. Also my hypo unawareness has completely disappeared so I'm really worried if I go low mid labour and I won't know. Also are they really strict with what they want your levels to be during labour? Any advice/experience would be great :) xx

ljwhite1983

Hi Lolli

Didn't want to read and run.

I'm pregnant just now as well, 27 weeks. I've also lost my hypo awareness and current off work due to it.

Regarding labour this is my second baby and with my first I had a section. I'm not sure yet if I'll have a section or be induced with this baby.

I've seen in previous forums people talking about a sliding scale but I don't know what this is?

Sorry I can't be more help but I'll be following your post.

X

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, they're very strict about what your levels should be during labour. They try to keep them as normal as possible. This helps avoid the baby being born hypoglycaemic.

They'll test your BMs lots of times, and if you do have a sliding scale they'll use this to keep your BMs in range. It's basically a drip which they adjust according to your BMs. I have a pump now so my consultant said I should be able to use this in labour and not have the sliding scale.

I didn't find diabetes affected my labour too much with my previous baby. To be honest, I kind of forgot about it because I was concentrating on labour. My BMs stayed good.